Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

I want YOUR advice - Help me buy a car!!!!!!!!!

Guest r0ksta

Guest r0ksta

Hey guys,

Want your expert opinions on these prospective vehicles we are looking at:

#1 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK 2000

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=271350229

#2 Subaru Legacy GT-B 2001

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=275628166

#3 Subaru Legacy GT-B E-TUNE X2

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=274425581

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=274425424

#4 Subaru Legacy RSK B4 2002

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=240240125

#5 Subaru Legacy RSK B4

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=275649007

#6 Subaru Impreza WRX 2002

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=276016170

#7 Subaru Impreza WRX V8 2003

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=274536137

#8 Subaru Impreza WRX 2003

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=268138420

What should I go for and WHY?

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a B4 (RSK or GTB) try and get one with the Revision D engine. To tell, you should always check the engine number on the plate under the bonnet but as a starting point, you want one 2001 or later.

By all accounts, the revision D engine is much better sorted then the earlier models.

It's pretty scary seeing that Blue GTB E-Tune in the list as I now know what my car would look like stock!

Anyway, they are ALL overpriced. They need to drop their asking prices by 2-3k for their pricing to be in the right ballpark and then you negotiate from there. That first one (the black B4 with the 18's) is waaay overpriced at the 17k they are asking for it.

The Legacy and WRX are quite different vehicles so you need to narrow it down to one or the other by driving some at dealerships (drive at least two of each) and/or getting some ClubSub members in your area to take you for a ride.

I see you're in Aucks so I can take you for a ride in a 2001 E-Tune GTB sometime if you like... or come to the next club cruise (this Sunday iirc).

Guest r0ksta

HEy SpotMe

Cheers for info. Ill keep it all in mind.

Whats the driving diff between say the GTB, WRX & RSK-B4 ie in easy speak main points of diff in drive/handling. Not getting super specific but just generally, is one sportier than the other, one more smooth etc is all Im after at this stage.

How do you tell its a revision D engine, what code should I be looking at on the plate that can tell me this?

Oh I might take you up on that offer of a sit in drive to see what GTB is like if you are around in AKL this week.

r0ksta said:

HEy SpotMe

Whats the driving diff between say the GTB, WRX & RSK-B4 ie in easy speak main points of diff in drive/handling. Not getting super specific but just generally, is one sportier than the other, one more smooth etc is all Im after at this stage.

How do you tell its a revision D engine, what code should I be looking at on the plate that can tell me this?

Oh I might take you up on that offer of a sit in drive to see what GTB is like if you are around in AKL this week.

Hey man,

I had a 97 STI wagon before i had my TT GT-B, put it this way after owning a STI with all the STI trimmings and awesome power & handling of a stock STI with VF22, i quickly had to do the Single turbo conversion on my GT-B cause i missed the STI like crazy.

I am 36 and didnt like all the pimply teenages looking at me and trying to race me, specially with a baby in the back ::)

the final straw was when a group of 11 year old skateboarders with high pitched voices come up to me in town and said "WOW man cool car"

So i lovvve the GT-B stn wagon as a drivers car... smooth and quiet etc but with STI performance i (personally) am very happy.

I wud get a CS member to take you in a few STIs (stock and moded) then go for a ride in GT-bs.

I think you will find the STI is the ultimate, all that quality egineering and wicky performance, OHHH yeaya!

For practicality, an STI Wagon (my old one below :'()

vetygyfy.jpg

Good luck, be sure to post your findings!

Guest r0ksta

Heya Thanks for the message.

Still dont really like the STI Wagons for some reason, they just seem like, well I dont know, if you got one of them you might as well just go out and get a GTB for that extra room etc I think but still very cool.

Still not sure, its still a toss up between a RSK-B4, GT-B or a WRX................ It only has to do for a year really until we update all our company vehicles again and Ill be changing to a BMW so its really just a fill the gap a-b car but I dont want to get a **** car, want to get something decent to have fun in as well as do the job. I want the room but then again, I dont NEED the room hence why im looking at the RSK-B4's etc, I think they look cool when done properly.

i would say Gt-B or rsk over the wrx, the wrx would get pretty boring on a td 04 turbo and you might end up wanting sti parts which ends up thinking why didnt i buy an sti,

with the codes for rev D on the fuji plate under the bonnet it will have BH5D.....

if you dont need the room but will make things useful go GT-b otherwise i would say RSK,

def take spot me up on his offer just remember he has decent tyres, coil overs and strut braces which improve handling

Guest r0ksta

Had a look at some at GVI & Buy Right Cars, mainly just for a poke around. I like the GT-B wagons but Its like, hmmm do I really need this much room or not... Then again the RSKs are cool coz I like their boxy look and they are really comfortable to sit in.

Only car I have not had the chance to sit in yet is a 2004 WRX.

What do you guys think about this one: (PS I know its a legacy forum here but some of you might let me off the hook this time, a majority of the vehicles im looking at are legacys!)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=261837999

ReubenH']

[quote name='gazzy2000 said:

Get this one.

End of thread.

That'll be a mean machine with that engine. My concern would be that it is very high mileage which equals more wear on the drivetrain and chassis.

Basically between a Legacy and a WRX the difference is comfort. The Legacy is larger, heavier and they've used better materials in the interior etc. The WRX in comparison to a Legacy will feel lighter with a cheaper looking and feeling interior. Also, I expect the Legacy will be quieter.

This means of course that the WRX is probably quicker around town as it is lighter. Also, the way power is delivered is very different between a WRX and a Twin Turbo Legacy.

I drove a V7 WRX (I don't think it was an STI) before buying a Legacy. The WRX was a little more fun, but the Legacy was just a much nicer car overall. The thing that really settled it for me was after driving them back to back, when I closed the WRX door it rattled. When I closed the Legacy door it just went <thud>. This was with the windows up (the windows rattle around in the doors on both if they're not up).

The wheel base (so distance between all four wheels) is the same between the GTB and the RSK. The RSK looks smaller partly because it is a bit shorter at the rear.

I'm more then happy to take you for a blat and I can point out the differences between the various revisions of Legacy and how mine differs from a stock one cos as Drunken says, mine is mildly worked. Drop me a PM if you want to do it and we'll sort it out.

To be fair, the interior plastics on the V8 WRX's are improved over the V7 but I've not had a good look.

Oh, and comparing a WRX and a WRX STI is a bit like chaulk and cheese. The STI's are far more powerful with better suspension etc and I *think* (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the STI's generally come with less sound deadening so they're noisier but lighter.

Oh, and if you want to see a really nice, fairly stock Revision D B4 RSK, hit up DVSB4 as he has a nice one :)

r0ksta said:

HEy SpotMe

Oh, the short answers to your questions (as I got a bit wordy!)

GTB and RSK vs WRX:

GTB and RSK - quieter, smoother, more luxurious, bit more interior space especially leg room in the back.

WRX - potentially quicker, lighter, cheaper feeling, less interior space, especially with tall people in the front.

I would guess (I'm putting on a flame proof suit now) that the WRX and Legacy would handle fairly similarly (an STI is a completely different matter) although being lighter, the WRX *may* feel a little more responsive.

Im telling you, buy mine, it's well built well serviced with records and only has 101k on the clock, 45k on rebuilt motor.

Guest r0ksta

Hey mate

Thanks for the info, much appreciated, just what I was after!

I must admit, sitting in the half leather seats of the RSK & GT-B felt very nice, I liked the feel of the RSK B4 actually as a car, just sitting in it, felt solid, but not show off like if you know what I mean, it was a perfomance car without being 'look at me in my boy racer subaru' type thing, which I can imagine I could get from the WRX.

What about throwing the RSK B4 and GTB around corners? Whats better or heavier feeling?

What suspension mods can you do on them, mainly on the RSK B4's to get them to sit a little lower and sstill get a great smooth ride? Personally stock looking RSK"s look a little high for me.

Same goes with the GTB too.

Also, whos best to get that sort of stuff done in Auckland and also exhaust tips and tricks to get that famous subaru rumble and BOV/boost gauge install in Auckland.

Just trying to get things sorted before hand so when the time comes, SNAP, I can get on to it.

the GTB and the B4 are essentially the same car, the difference is wagon vs. sedan. Mechanically, they are pretty much identical. You are going to find that the B4 will handle better since it is a sedan. lower center of gravity, less body roll. That being said, if you're after the extra space, you won't miss the handling too much.

As for handling mods, you can lower them with aftermarket springs, or you can replace the whole setup with coilovers- Tein, BC Gold, etc.

We the Auckland group have a good knowledge to most Subaru things we are equip to do suspension bov boost gauges etc so we can do all the work for you, spotme's gtb has coil overs as said and is lowered a little bit and handles to the road soooo well, don't notice the weight of the wagon that much or if at all unless you went back to back down same road same mods etc,

Guest Dazza

If you were to pick a WRX over a RSK-B4 or GT-B I would advise to go for a STI benefits are (Stronger engine, Gearbox, Better Turbo etc) but the STI would be a bit more thirsty, and a bit more 'hardcore' so to speak. So if you want comfort and performance pick a RSK-B4 or GT-B or if you want a car thats going to tear ya face off every time you drive it lol :D buy an STI.

r0ksta said:

Yea pro looking at the RSK B4 seriously

what about this one?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Legacy/auction-262975549.htm

would remove the gay looking mudflaps upon purchase tho...

haha my mate was looking at that just last night thinking of having a look at it :P get them to throw in a warranty with it and try talk them down on the price should be a good buy

Guest r0ksta

Ha cool, yea sure if I did take it Id sell whoever on here the flaps, I dont think they suit a RSK lol.

True! Yea Ill go have a look at it and see what it looks like in the flesh. Never the less, there are heaps of others on our books to look at but that one at TT does look quite nifty and tidy. Also, those STi decals on the side will be coming off!

How much do coil overs and the like set you back? What about a good rumble exhaust system on these RSK's and GTBs, whats the favourable set up?