Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

I want YOUR advice - Help me buy a car!!!!!!!!!

Guest r0ksta

It does look like DVSB4 has wound his down quite a lot. From the ones I've seen, spring lowering kits aren't that low and mine is higher then them again.

Couldn't tell you what springs I've seen in them as I was actually wanting to buy one that hadn't been lowered!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drunkenmonkey said:

i got HKS lowering springs for $135 from our mates at strong they do have a set of adjusties atm for $1500 but im sure we could get them lower as they been wanting to sell them for ages

There you go r0ksta, that's a seriously good hook up :)

Guest r0ksta

Awesome! Yea prb just look at some slight lowering on any vehicle I get. All I want is it to look good, and sound even better so lowering & exhaust is pretty much top of the list after finding the right vehicle.

Today might be the day that action starts so lets see how we go.

SpotMe said:

WRX - potentially quicker, lighter, cheaper feeling, less interior space, especially with tall people in the front.

I would guess (I'm putting on a flame proof suit now) that the WRX and Legacy would handle fairly similarly (an STI is a completely different matter) although being lighter, the WRX *may* feel a little more responsive.

the wrx has basically the same dimensions as the GTB/B4 up until the B pillar (i.e. the space available to the driver and passenger is identical between the two cars). The back seats and boot are a different story and this is where the shorter wheelbase is achieved.

The differences between the two cars can be summed up as: The wrx is more drivable and the legacy is more comfortable.

Comparing power/speed between the GTB/STi wrx the two are somewhat similar (same peak power but STi is lighter so faster). the difference is in delivery, the GTB smooths the power out whereas the STi will give it all to you in a thump (I love it but the mrs not so much). Even though my GTB was 206kw and my forester was ~160kw the forester felt faster by the seat of my pants due to the single turbo (forester and wrx are basically the same platform).

Handling, in my opinion the GTB is awful. Mainly because the steering is very "floaty", whereas the wrx is more connected and direct. Other than that the GTB is prone to sledging mainly due to the additional weight, but this can be overcome with suspension modifications.

The interior of the legacy is much nicer, but I think from v7 up the wrx interior is acceptable.

Really comes down to whether you like all the bells and whistles inside the car or you want it to go and handle as good as a Subaru can. If you like the latter you will spend all your time and money modifying your legacy to be a wrx (single turbo, aftermarket suspension, 4 pot brakes etc.). Thats what happened to me until I bit the bullet and bought an STi.

Guest r0ksta

im getting close now guys

can any of you help me find the right vehicle??????

GTB

manual

twin sunroofs

white/orange/gold

2000+

RSK- B4

manual

black/white OR blue

2001+

Budget 9K - 15K preferably!

Prefer a black RSK-B4

r0ksta said:

im getting close now guys

can any of you help me find the right vehicle??????

GTB

manual

twin sunroofs

white

2000+

Budget 9K - 15K preferably!

THIS!!! i said ichi ban has one with a brand new motor in it (as in brand brand new).. its factory as in white, has sun roofs im fairly sure, and its hell tidy...

wants 9k for it

Guest r0ksta

hmm....not sure bout that one, there is a box of whatever or a nice bottle of coruba for anyone that can assist me

good man - its got about 5000km on a brand new short block - all BEBs, pumps, seals, head gaskets, cambelt replaced etc.

He built it himself and is what he does for a living - hes the man engine builder.

wud be pooz if you bough it before it died.. but you get a 9k car (given the body has 140kms on it) but with a 1000km engine in it..

Guest r0ksta

what about these ones

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=274669297&permanent=0

^^^ quite keen on this one ^^^

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Legacy/auction-275829448.htm

^^^ dodgy job??? ^^^

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=274513876

^^^ meh its a blitzen model, just like the mags & spoiler, does not look so bad in silver as it does in black or red ^^^

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=274981631

^^^ seems ok? what do you think? ^^^

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=272716824

^^^ seems genuine, but its in wgtn! ^^^

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=266383353

^^^ seems tidy, looks can be deceiving I guess...^^^

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=276149548

^^^ last minute addition, another private one but hmmm can it be trusted or is it a boy racers beaten old thing? ^^^

I must say that I WILL be getting a VTNZ or AA pre purchase check on ANY vehicle I decide upon, I know they sometimes misdiagnose things but generally speaking they pick up stuff that could be of issue, always get them done not matter what vehicle ive gone to buy in the past.

Interested in your views on them!

Guest r0ksta

yea second one looks like trouble, looks cool but I think ill be steering away from it.

what about the first one? anything positive about that one?

Guest r0ksta

BEB?

Whats 'high' milage for these cars of this vintage?

My good old mum has done 230,000kms in her car she bought new in 2004, that I would consider high, 130 I wouldnt for a car of this age but Im not sure what is high for subarus and problems that arise at certain 'milestones' in their odometer history.

If you are gonna buy a Legacy make sure you get a face lift one.

Easiest and quickest way to tell is it will have a tinted speedo that will light up like a Christmas tree when you turn it on.

For the price range you have though you would bloody near buy a BP Legacy and then you won't loose money hand over fist when the arse inevitably falls out of the BH values (always happens a year or two after a new model comes out).

Guest r0ksta

I like the look of these ones ive selected. Its only a temp measure really for atleast 12 months until I buy a new car next year but wanting to get next years shape so I just want something kinda cool and to have some fun with really, ive come from a background of toyota hilux's so anything like this is like night & day.

Oh man, I really like the first one, it ticks all my boxes, just missing the facelift is it not? Why choose a facelift one again?

Guest r0ksta

But apart from that there isnt really that much diff is there? Even if I am keen on the other one? Its not going to be like night & day comparing a non face lift to a face lift?

Guest r0ksta

Dont need to worry about re sale value as its going in as a trade on the new car next year but is the differances really that noticible or not really.