Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Graphic Designers - I want you

Im getting my car ready to do winter series at Taupo, which starts on 29th of May.

But my boss pointed one thing out to me this morning, my car is a blank canvas waiting to be attacked by someone's creative brain. So if anyone has any decent ideas, or would like to design the sign writing on my car. Please let me know because i would be keen on letting you loose at it if your ideas are impressive and eye catching :)

nt_a_foz said:

Mr Gray whos FB page did you become a fan of last night??

And who is looking for thingss to do like this haha...

;)

Good point, ask her if she wants to be creative.

I always wanted to make my car like look Lightning McQueen but someone has already done that to a Nissan 240Z in NZGT

[me=Shale]waves arms madly[/me]

I'M A GRAPHIC DESIGNER.

Edit: Note I'm actually in print though ;D There are a few others on the board with far more vehicle signwriting experience, but I'll give anything a crack ;D

NotAWhiteGTB']

[quote name='nt_a_foz said:

Mr Gray whos FB page did you become a fan of last night??

And who is looking for thingss to do like this haha...

;)

/quote]

Good point, ask her if she wants to be creative.

I always wanted to make my car like look Lightning McQueen but someone has already done that to a Nissan 240Z in NZGT

She does and she will il tell her she will hahahah...

But yeah shell be keen im sure..

email me punk

Bah, forget those poncey "graphic designers" and let some poor, starving artist loose on your car.

They will be glad for the exposure, you probably won't even have to pay them.

And you might end up with a true work of art like these...

;D

warhol_bmw_m1_6398-c.jpg

newsuba said:

Bah, forget those poncey "graphic designers" and let some poor, starving artist loose on your car.

They will be glad for the exposure, you probably won't even have to pay them.

And you might end up with a true work of art like these...

;D

_bmw-art-collection-lg.jpg

Don't forget there is a HUGE difference between hobbyists and professionals.

You'll be surprised how many of these designs are done in Photoshop...which is WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Koom']

[quote name='Shale said:

Don't forget there is a HUGE difference between hobbyists and professionals.

You'll be surprised how many of these designs are done in Photoshop...which is WRONG WRONG WRONG.

/quote]

http://www.bmwdrives.com/bmw-artcars.php

No Photoshop there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Calder

That the guy that did them?

That's kinda like asking Phillipe Starck to do a piece for ya, surely ;D

Shale said:

Jeezus H Christ on a stick.

You never heard of Andy Warhol ?

His BMW Art Car is one of the most famous automotive artworks ever.

And no he didn't use Photoshop.

:P

Calder never did a BMW Art Car.

There was an exhibit at the Auckland Museum of several of these cars back in 2007.

OF COURSE I've heard of Andy Warhol. I didn't realise the BMW car art was done by him :P

May I ask wtf sort of relevance this has to getting a car painted or vinyled in 2010 though, aside from pioneering inspiration? :P

And on that note, do you want a few hundred dollars spent on vinyl or a couple thousand on airbrushing? My next door neighbour won the 4 and Rotary nats last year for his brushing skillz, and I can get a HUGE discount from him. It still ain't cheap.

What Koom said.

No need for expensive airbrushing, as I said hire some poor starving artist.

And if a panel gets beat up, out with the paint can.

The car then becomes a dynamic, evolving piece of art.

;D

If you watch the video in the link above, Warhol hand painted that car, which was also raced.

Relevance ?

It makes change form the easy route of boring vinyl graphics and it will get the car noticed.

We were discussing Blackboard paint for one of the rally cars last night. Driver is struggling to find sponsors so thought that people could pay $10 and write something on the car. Park it up each night and re-do the chalk signwriting with more spectators ;D

Koom said:

Just let some Fine Arts major loose on the car with some paint from the free paint shop (we've got one down here :P)

Pay them $5 and double their yearly income......

I'd say yes, but it's that sort of attitude that is murdering an already sick industry.

I know I know, Shale's being srscat as usual :-\...it's just that this is something I take a wee bit personally given this is the industry I work in and it's being swamped by 'design competitions' (where the person that does 'the best' work is the only one that gets paid) and 'just throw the students a bone'...which results in raging and flaming and general hatorade further down the track for both parties.

By all means, get a student to do it. But don't pay them a pittence. You get what you pay for - they are not stupid. You will also get no support from a student, as you would a professional painter or designer.

On that note, 'starving artists' don't charge a pittence ;) There's a reason I crossed over from art to design.

However, that blackboard paint idea is EXCELLENT! ;D

At the end of the day though - an easy to access colour, replaceable vinyl and the occasional Shortty-esque excursion with a Sharpie can't go wrong.

Artists work for a pittance cause it is at least money for doing what they enjoy, rather than just standing round asking if "you'd like fries with that?" all day long ;)

Same reason I work on rally cars for love and beer.