Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2004 Legacy center dash screen????

Hailz

Soooo in a 2004ish Legacy what does the wee screen in the center of the dash have on it or what does it do? does anyone know, its puzzled me for yonks, all I can see is japanese writing and dial kinda things on the pics I've seen. I would really like one of these cars when I feel like and upgrade but hate the idea of random useless electrical stuff cluttering up the dash ???

Nah dont think its a trip computer, looks like a 7 inch screen with blue background and red dials on it, some I've seen have the screen but with different things on it - all in japanese

Ah ok. We don't have a screen like that. Something like this?

Leg07specbconsole1.JPG

Looks like satnav. I don't think it would control the aircon though - you can still see those controls down below the stereo.

Ours is more like this with a cubby and trip computer

10oikx5.jpg

These images are the facelift models (with SI Drive), but everything else you see is basically identical to the 2003->2005 models.

GorGasmSpecB said:

The screen is GPS / Trip computer.

A/C is below the stereo.

to clarify the one i JUST drove, it tells you where the aircon is coming from, also shows trip meter info, fuel consumption, battery voltage and a bunch of other related things..

for a JDM that is.

funkytown']

[quote name='GorGasmSpecB said:

A/C is below the stereo.

/quote]

to clarify the one i JUST drove, it tells you where the aircon is coming from, also shows trip meter info, fuel consumption, battery voltage and a bunch of other related things..

for a JDM that is.

Yip that's what mine does as well. I am trying my hardest to get it into english. I am hoping to get a unit out of an aussie one. Satnav won't work but at least everything will be in english.

For those who care the unit is made by Kenwood and is a Y31-2250. I have dowloaded a couple of "start-up" dvds now and neither of them work. Although the ones I have tried are for the facelift one, which may or may not be different.

Treecrusher']

[quote name='GorGasmSpecB said:

A/C is below the stereo.

/quote]

for a JDM that is.

Yip that's what mine does as well. I am trying my hardest to get it into english. I am hoping to get a unit out of an aussie one. Satnav won't work but at least everything will be in english.

For those who care the unit is made by Kenwood and is a DV3200. I have dowloaded a couple of "start-up" dvds now and neither of them work. Although the ones I have tried are for the facelift one, which may or may not be different.

yours is a BP/BL shape...?

Yea, I've got a 2003 bp5.

Any hints on getting it working? I have talked to loads of people about and they all say the same thing.....That you can't change the language. Although the Subaru dealership said it would be a lucrative method if I could work it out.

If I can get one from Aussie I would be happy.

I would find it hard to believe that the same model display would not just have a different version of the software loaded for each language market. The problem is in getting the software from somewhere. Have you tried calling Rapid Radio in Auckland? They are very experienced and know what can and can't be done.

dumbskate said:

I would find it hard to believe that the same model display would not just have a different version of the software loaded for each language market. The problem is in getting the software from somewhere. Have you tried calling Rapid Radio in Auckland? They are very experienced and know what can and can't be done.

That's what I thought. But I have been through all the options on the screen, and it seems all the dvd does is load the maps.

Thanks for the heads up, I will give them a call on Monday.

Well that answers a few questions thanks fella's, have you tried contacting a Subby dealership and asking them what the go is with them - whether or not they can be translated into English?

Guest boostin
 Hailz said:

Well that answers a few questions thanks fella's, have you tried contacting a Subby dealership and asking them what the go is with them - whether or not they can be translated into English?

Yes I have and no it can't.

boostin']

[quote name='Hailz said:

/quote]

Yes I have and no it can't.

Yes I have talked to them, at length. For the most part, they don't know. And so there answer is no. They say if I can get them a part number they can contact Subaru in Japan and get it. I have found the DVD I need on the Japanese auction site yahoo. Unfortunately the photo isn't good enough to see the part number.

I have seen photos on another website of the same system displaying in English. It had the same part number as well.

I've emailed a few people in Japan, including Kenwood. I'll let you all know once I hear back from them.

One thing Subaru NZ did confirm is that the latest NZ mapping DVD works on the Aussie 2004 Liberty SatNav. So if I can't get mine to work I will get an Aussie one from a wrecker in Sydney.

Have got an email back from Kenwood, Japan which confirms the unit cannot display in English. Thier email below:

Mr. Carwyn

Thank you for your mail dated 7th May 2010.

Unfortunetely, the Navigation unit is made for only Japan and not possible to change the language in English.

Yours sincerely, Tomokazu Yamamoto

So the only hope now is to import one from an Aussie or American market Legacy. I'll let you all know how I get on with that.

I'm in the same boat, I have a JDM Dec 03 Outback BPE which has the same navi as in the photo posted earlier. Mine came with the DVD which doesn't help much but is kind of cool to poke around the huge number of screens that makes available.

In your cae I don't know that just changing the DVD player will work, the firmware/OS is most likely in the screen itself as that is the NAVI system so you would need to replace the whole thing. If you are in Auckland you are welcome to pop to the shore and see if my DVD will work in yours, but still Japanese. They are dual layer so maybe not so easy to copy.

Just for the record I tried playing a Japan Zoned DVD with no luck. It would be cool to be able to play DVD's. It's so annoying to have something so cool in your car and not be able to use 90% of its features.

KonKon said:

I'm in the same boat, I have a JDM Dec 03 Outback BPE which has the same navi as in the photo posted earlier. Mine came with the DVD which doesn't help much but is kind of cool to poke around the huge number of screens that makes available.

In your cae I don't know that just changing the DVD player will work, the firmware/OS is most likely in the screen itself as that is the NAVI system so you would need to replace the whole thing. If you are in Auckland you are welcome to pop to the shore and see if my DVD will work in yours, but still Japanese. They are dual layer so maybe not so easy to copy.

Just for the record I tried playing a Japan Zoned DVD with no luck. It would be cool to be able to play DVD's. It's so annoying to have something so cool in your car and not be able to use 90% of its features.

That is correct. The information I have says it is the screen itself that needs replacing. I am hoping I can just replace it with one from an Aussie Liberty.

It might be a while before I do this though, as I just got a new dog and he will take up a lot of my time for the foreseeable future.

• 1 month later...

along the same lines, i have the JDM unit in mine with a cable in the glove box, it looks like an old Sharp GX30 charger or first Gen iPod. My iPhone doesnt fit it but looks like a similar 30pin port. What is it? Would it be an aftermarket cable that is linked to the McIntosh stereo or factory?

ceedoubleyou said:

I was looking at replacing the screen with one of these if it fits.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=295959080

That probably won't fit as the factory screen is only about half as deep as that and the heater ducts sit in behind it. Not to mention the buttons of the factory unit integrate with the moulding.

There are aftermarket Kenwood units made to fit, if you can get one in New Zealand.

If you try and it does fit let me know.

Treecrusher']

[quote name='ceedoubleyou said:

I was looking at replacing the screen with one of these if it fits.

url]http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=295959080[/url]

That probably won't fit as the factory screen is only about half as deep as that and the heater ducts sit in behind it. Not to mention the buttons of the factory unit integrate with the moulding.

There are aftermarket Kenwood units made to fit, if you can get one in New Zealand.

If you try and it does fit let me know.

I'm gunna check it out sometime next week, mine doesn't have any buttons in the moulding, the buttons are all part of the unit beside the screen and it is just a player, no idea how it works, there seems to be just 2 options, camera and VCD, I think, oh it is also has a TV, couple of the channels have a rolling pic. The company that sells the "ezitrip" unit is local.