Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

what kind of breakes do i have?? 99 wrx type ra

hey guys my cars in the shop so thinking about making a few upgrades while im at it hah. was wondering if any one could help me figure out what kind of brakes i have? are they the standard 4 pot ones?

what could i replace them with with out spending a fortune? sti ones? or is there something better?

ive got a standard 99 wrx type ra..

cheers for your help everyone :)

"standard 4 pots" ARE STi ones. There aren't any other ones except the later model brembos...which are still 4 pots.

You can identify your ones as STi if the calipers are quite large and have "SUBARU" written across the outwards face. If they're smaller and look like the caliper on most cars then they're two pots.

15438_200723867294_608172294_2830898_116

merc is right!

even if you dont have "4pots" some good quality pads (bendix ultimates) and high temp brake fluid (dot4/5, motul rbf600) will do wonders. cheap pads dont do a good job

then look at slotted rotors (discs) for better bite and less fade.

if you do have "4pots".... do the same as above and they will be even better still

if youre not pulling up from 200k more than 3times in 2-3mins than you probly wont need to do the fluid but would be a good idea to bleed them with fresh fluid anyways

• 4 weeks later...

^ yep. cross drilled, never again

seriously if your not destroying drilled rotors, you don't need any more brakes :D

other things like worn caliper seals and worn master cylinders can cause poor performance.. might pay to get someones advice who has a benchmark

haha forgot i had put this thread up. so yeah i just have the 2 pots atm . butt yupp will stay away from those rotors. pretty keen on some 4 pots though. not sure where to get any though? just need the calipers so i can paint em . then il buy the rest

chulozumo said:

haha forgot i had put this thread up. so yeah i just have the 2 pots atm . butt yupp will stay away from those rotors. pretty keen on some 4 pots though. not sure where to get any though? just need the calipers so i can paint em . then il buy the rest

Trademe. I got a full set of calipers/discs/lines and the rear set as well for like $300. Normal going price is in the $300 to $400 range

• 4 weeks later...

alrightyy so ive found some on trade me. is there anything i should know when buying them? will i need anything else? e.g the brake lines like what mercuryfree got? or will it just go right on?

heres some links to the ones i found...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=302460837

and

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=301811315

are these worth it?

can you have 4 pots all round? seen quite a few people who tend to rock the 4 pot front 2 pot rear.

Guest boostin
 QRAF said:

never seen 4pots all round before what would be the point?

do you use your handbrake often do you?

The handbrake has nothing to do with the calipers. It's brake shoes in a drum on the inside of the disc. Completely separate system.

QRAF']

well it would screw your brake bias thats for sure.

[quote name='QRAF said:

/quote]

The handbrake has nothing to do with the calipers. It's brake shoes in a drum on the inside of the disc. Completely separate system.

and this depends - if you have it set up as a hydraulic handbrake it matters

boostin said:

Very interesting. It shouldn't.

They can get a wof if they have a motorsport exemption and a sticker on the dash warning of a hydraulic handbrake being fitted.

Guest boostin
 caged']

[quote name='boostin said:

Very interesting. It shouldn't.

/quote]

They can get a wof if they have a motorsport exemption and a sticker on the dash warning of a hydraulic handbrake being fitted.

Again, true, but even less people would have that!!

Guest boostcut

you can have two handbrake systems. it has to be mechanical to pass a wof tho.

but a hydraulic handbrake would be the business if your into making girls pantys wet

chulozumo said:

alrightyy so ive found some on trade me. is there anything i should know when buying them? will i need anything else? e.g the brake lines like what mercuryfree got? or will it just go right on?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=302460837

and

are these worth it?

can you have 4 pots all round? seen quite a few people who tend to rock the 4 pot front 2 pot rear.

They'll bolt straight up, can use your current lines no worries.

QRAF']

theres a bug eyed subi out side my work with 4 pots all round? well has the brakes with subaru written on them..would that be 4 pots?

[quote name='chulozumo said:

url]http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=302460837[/url]

and

are these worth it?

They'll bolt straight up, can use your current lines no worries.

mean cheers for the info. does it matter what year it comes off? would newer be better?