Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Focus RS spanks Impreza STI in latest NZ Autocar...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate of mine just bought a Focus RS, think it's a couple of years old but buggar all k's on it. Think they paid about 60k for it. Haven't been in it when he's taken it for a real fang, but he says it's pretty good! I'll see whether he'll let me drive it, but I think it's more his wife's car then his haha!

I don't know what year it is, I've only seen it once. But it is brand spanking new, I just thought it may have been a couple of years old based on what they paid for it, but I think it was a demo model.

Don't know when I'll see it next, he doesn't have it too often.

Whens it go on sale in NZ? As the XR5 is the only one I can find details of... I drive past a white XR5 regularly and it looks like quite a nice car - and Ive always had a soft spot for 5 cylinders thanks to Audi!

It's Blue, and its a Euro import cos it's got the wiper and indicator stalks the other way around.

I remember something he said on the weekend, that the Euro market has no XR6's or XR8's so it was pointless in calling it an XR5 over there, hence why it's badged an RS.

So must be the 5 cylinder version mentioned earlier.

Scoobydoo said:

Just checked with him, and he said:

5 door version. Can't get 3 door RS in NZ, Euro only. 177kw was stated by dealer.

So yep, not the fire breathing one, but the next one down.

Thought it might have been the case when you mentioned XR6/XR8.

Dealer is talking porkies re: 177kW, they have 166kW.

And needs every one as the car is a fat bastard at 1437kg.

Much slower than 169kW WRX, 169kW Megane R26 or 169kW Golf GTi.

How so ?

Yes, I'm on the record saying the v11 STI is a big POS.

From the NZAC article;

The Focus RS looks better, is quicker on the move but not in a drag race, has the more tractable engine, no dopey SI-Drive, sounds better, has the better transmission and brakes, better damping, both have so-so seats, Subaru has better pedal placement.

At this level, that's a spanking in my book.

;D

I wouldn't even say the STI was good value for money.

A $50k Renault Megane R26 would run rings around it.

And in fact one did back in an old UK Autocar test.

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi

maybe so but its only one persons view?

dont read too much into media reports..

$/kw the wrx is a sure win. as mentioned earlier if you spend the difference in value ie: 40 k on a wrx the wrx will not only annihilate the focus but will probably leave a dirty great stain on that reporters seat

8)

newsuba said:

How so ?

Yes, I'm on the record saying the v11 STI is a big POS.

From the NZAC article;

The Focus RS looks better, is quicker on the move but not in a drag race, has the more tractable engine, no dopey SI-Drive, sounds better, has the better transmission and brakes, better damping, both have so-so seats, Subaru has better pedal placement.

At this level, that's a spanking in my book.

;D

I wouldn't even say the STI was good value for money.

A $50k Renault Megane R26 would run rings around it.

And in fact one did back in an old UK Autocar test.

Thats cool if you dont mind being seen driving a megane, and maintaining one, i know from personal experiance that a regular one is bad enough.

Id like to see a test between the JDM STI and the RS, or the R205 or spec C vs RS, not our watered down AUS spec 2.5, as this is pretty much fords fastest focus (besides that RS500 version?) i still reakon the STI would be faster around a track than the RS, Despite the above claiming its quicker on the move.

the_return_of_the_jedi said:

maybe so but its only one persons view?

dont read too much into media reports..

$/kw the wrx is a sure win. as mentioned earlier if you spend the difference in value ie: 40 k on a wrx the wrx will not only annihilate the focus but will probably leave a dirty great stain on that reporters seat

8)

Yeah why would you trust the media. Most of them not only are trained drivers/racers but also have sat in more Performance exotica than you could name.

Hmmmm, i see your point of veiw BC5RA, you should check out some of the articles on the autospeed website, it sheds some insiders light on auto journalism, shows alot of it should be taken with a grain of salt

EJ20T said:

Hmmmm, i see your point of veiw BC5RA, you should check out some of the articles on the autospeed website, it sheds some insiders light on auto journalism, shows alot of it should be taken with a grain of salt

Swing me a link.

Depends on what you read and who's doing the writing.