Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Focus RS spanks Impreza STI in latest NZ Autocar...

GC8E2DD']

Finally got to read this last night. Either you have a real bee in your bonnet about the new Imprezas or we were reading different articles =P

How so ?

Hrm, let me see ...

It cannot carry quite as much corner speed as the STi ...
That the STi would be quicker from 0 - 100km/h was never in doubt ... nearly a second faster than the slip sliding Focus
... but in an 80 through 120km/h power duel? The Focus felt just a smidge quicker ... reeling off two 3.10 sec passes to the STi's 3.26 best. So there's not much in it ...
... the STi Brembos should work marvels, but the Focus has better bite with less pedal input ... Neither showed any fade ...

Some people don't like snatchy brakes - obviously this reviewer does

As for steering ... there's little in it. Factor out the torque steer, and the Ford is more onto it ...

Awesome, torque steer ...

[quote name='Autocar said:

So is the RS worth the extra? That's something you will need to decide ... I still find it hard to believe that a front heavy front drive car can b]approach[/b] the grip levels of a rally legend, at least in the dry, but it does

Basically the whole article seems like it is trying to convince you this Ford is worth the best part of 20k more. Chuck even 10k at the Sub and we'd no doubt see a real spanking. For the most part you may as well ignore all the waffle about things like clutch and transmission 'action' because it is invariably personal preference. Somebody once reviewed the VW DSG was the best gearbox ever invented. My review would have been more like 'this gearbox belongs at the bottom of the Mariana Trench'.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whooppee selective quotes...

;D

You conveniently forgot to quote the degree of torque steer was half that of the Mazda 3 MPS, basically bugger-all.

"...not much more than a playful tug at the wheel."

Don't know how you deduced the reviewer liked snatchy brakes.

You need reading lessons if you thought the piece was a Ford hardsell.

:D

I've driven a few v11 STI's now and the writer fairly described it's pros and cons.

As for DSG, most of the time it's brilliant.

It only falls down in not allowing full manual control but for the intended audience it's fine.

;D

Guest DMSREX

Betcha Ford has a bigger advertising spend in that magazine than Subaru :)

Journo's aren't the most objective sometimes either.

Best way to compare drive 'em yourself and decide........everything else is just hot wind.

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi

who gives a toss bout the media..

lets have a track day and see if ford and subaru will give us a car to chew 2 sets of tyres on..

then make our own minds up..

hey anyone notice that the spellchecker on here doesn't register subaru?

yep... type a word when you reply thats spelt wrong. gets a red line under it.. does yours not do that?

Mines on my browser...

I currently have a Bitsushitty 380 for company car... No performance car but still no slouch either...

It has torque steer and at first its fun, but after a while it gets rather poos anoying...

The ford would be riot with that much power, then it would wear off and become a sticking point...

one of the reasons the 380 failed (among a shitload others)in Aus was due to torque steer... not fun when you have to live with it...

fwd performance cars have come a heck of a long way.

still havent eliminated torque steer but.

in a rolling race you would have to think it would whip most 4wd turbos.

Personally i think the sti would offer better bang for buck and be quicker point to point.

Anyways i doubt many people on here will have to cash to splash for either anytime soon, and its down to personal choice with cars isnt it.

If everyone thought the same world would be boring

ODB said:

Personally i think the sti would offer better bang for buck and be quicker point to point.

Not at $73k for an STi Spec R.

I took one out over my short test route, a 25km mix of straights, gentle curves and twisty stuff. The STI was fast on the straight and A roads but a mess in the tighter stuff. Marshmallow soft suspension (the revised STI is supposed to have increased spring rates of 15.6% F and 53% R !), useless driver aids (TC, DCCD) and a numb front end meant a lack of confidence in the car.

By comparison, a little Renault Megane R26, with 50kW less, sharp steering and a beam rear axle was much quicker over the same route. The only thing missing were the grippy Recaro seats offered in Europe.

newsuba']

[quote name='ODB said:

/quote]

+1 on the value... asking price is a bit steep for me, I think I shall wait for the Jappa imports of all three mentioned and then decide...

Anything from Subaru these days and I yawn.

And when I see Cosworth, I just shake my head. Most of there kit is re badged and outsourced. And their long blocks are hideously over priced.

Far from the rep that they had in the days when cars were analog and had hairy chests.

BC5RA said:

Far from the rep that they had in the days when cars were analog and had hairy chests.

+1

1987%20Ford%20Sierra%20RS500%20Cosworth.

newsuba']

[quote name='ODB said:

/quote]

I took one out over my short test route, a 25km mix of straights, gentle curves and twisty stuff. The STI was fast on the straight and A roads but a mess in the tighter stuff. Marshmallow soft suspension (the revised STI is supposed to have increased spring rates of 15.6% F and 53% R !), useless driver aids (TC, DCCD) and a numb front end meant a lack of confidence in the car.

By comparison, a little Renault Megane R26, with 50kW less, sharp steering and a beam rear axle was much quicker over the same route. The only thing missing were the grippy Recaro seats offered in Europe.

Isnt this RS a non official import? so at 90k with no new car warrenty? not so bang for buck

You can get a very nice grade 5 GRB import for about 50k

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=239816&CT=V

the above pretty much sums up british auto reveiws, when u start lining up the focus RS with a R35 GTR and coming to the conclusion that the RS is just as fast on a twisting bumpy public road????? yeah i see focus's out the lead of targa NZ and tasmainia all the time

EJ20T']

[quote name='ODB said:

/quote]

Isnt this RS a non official import? so at 90k with no new car warrenty? not so bang for buck

You can get a very nice grade 5 GRB import for about 50k

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=239816&CT=V

the above pretty much sums up british auto reveiws, when u start lining up the focus RS with a R35 GTR and coming to the conclusion that the RS is just as fast on a twisting bumpy public road????? yeah i see focus's out the lead of targa NZ and tasmainia all the time

im not sure if you have done much driving around Britain but i find it either 3 lane motorways chocca of reps steaming everywhere in their wank mobiles or tiny, twisty back country roads about 1.5 lanes wide.

I know they say our roads are goat tracks but trying to overtake most places in Britain is a massive pain in the ass.

I can see why they like small nimble cars, somewhat.

Then again i wouldnt have any ford focus over an r35 GTR lol(except maybe a tarmac stage rally one?)

EJ20T said:

Id have to say it looks pretty poised for a powerful FWD car, but then again, honda has been doing that for 20 years

Big difference between the Ford and Honda is that one produces a meaningful amount of torque...

:P

newsuba']

[quote name='EJ20T said:

Id have to say it looks pretty poised for a powerful FWD car, but then again, honda has been doing that for 20 years

/quote]

Big difference between the Ford and Honda is that one produces a meaningful amount of torque...

:P

and honda is probably still faster once up to speed