Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

98 Octane fuel...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive heard that ethanol burns slower and allthough still retaining a "98" octane rating burns at the same rate as lower RON ratings

dont quote me just what has been flying around a convo ive had "lol"

on the "98" matter...... i think "K's to tank" is relative to the cost.

lower octane= more throttle input to make the power

higer octane= less throttle input i think you get the picture

running "98" is definately better to use (go to mobil not BP!!) more efficient, cleaner, + on performance as like somone earlier said the computer can run more timing and the engine can handle the boost better

Koom']

But NZDM ones are? They have NZDM fuel lines at the factory? I still don't buy that bit of PR.

The varnish bit may have some backing but I've had fuel lines swell and split on 98. Not really scared of it being more common with E10 personally, but I want it for the performance benefits.

Mobil or BP 98? Mobil is 10% ethanol, BP is not afaik.

[quote name='jacsmiley said:

running "98" is definately better to use (go to mobil not BP!!) more efficient, cleaner, + on performance as like somone earlier said the computer can run more timing and the engine can handle the boost better

Basis? (other than oil spillgate). I get better mileage and the car seems to just run better on the BP stuff, and many others have had similar results

MercuryFree']

But NZDM ones are? They have NZDM fuel lines at the factory? I still don't buy that bit of PR.

The varnish bit may have some backing but I've had fuel lines swell and split on 98. Not really scared of it being more common with E10 personally, but I want it for the performance benefits.

[quote name='jacsmiley said:

/quote]

Basis? (other than oil spillgate). I get better mileage and the car seems to just run better on the BP stuff, and many others have had similar results

Yeah to be honest I got better mileage and better boost from using 98 from BP. But due to the oil spillage I have deferred visiting BP. And for some reason I've always like Mobil. Seeing as it's associated with Mercedes where as BP is with Ford haha. But i'm just talking smack and thats just me. Maybe BP fuel is better on turbo cars...

Only some of the mobil stations - welly i think - have e10.

Gull E10 has proven to make the most power if u tune for it. Its not as economical as normal petrol as it has less energy in it.

Even a humble 250T will make more power on 98 than 91.

Qwerty said:

Only some of the mobil stations - welly i think - have e10.

Gull E10 has proven to make the most power if u tune for it. Its not as economical as normal petrol as it has less energy in it.

Even a humble 250T will make more power on 98 than 91.

If E10 = the "max 10% ethanol" stuff then yeah we have that stuff

MercuryFree']

[quote name='Koom said:

/quote]

Non-ethanol 98 from BP.

If I could get Mobil E10 or especially Gull E10 down here, I'd be on it like a fat kid on cake.

Oesnam']

[quote name='Heroes Legend said:

Since buying my GT-B TT I've only ever used 98 and achieve about 550km to a tank, so a little bit shy of 10km/Litre. However, when I tried 95 in an emergency, 10L got me 4km. Sucked ass. No power on take off, couldnt rev too high as it would pre detonate, stalled all the damned time. Was a stink affair.

/quote]

All these high mileage's everyone achieves with TT GT-B's and B4's are starting to irritate me as I only manage to get max and i mean max of about 440-460km on a full tank. Thats with no boosting at all to check the economy. Maybe mine is running too rich or something. Or maybe because its a rev.B?

I've never run it right down to test range but the best fuel economy I've measured from my Rev-D BH5 GTB is 8.7 L/100km (over most of a tank) which gives a theoretical 736km range from the 64L tank. Thats on the open road, cruising around 100-115 (licence protection ;) )but not being shy about overtaking slower traffic - averaged 9.2 L/100km over the 2700ish km on a road-trip from Cromwell to Taupo and back.

That was on 98, its generally 10-15% thirstier on 95, still runs ok but I make myself take it a bit easier with that stuff in it.

Koom']

[quote name='Koom said:

/quote]

Non-ethanol 98 from BP.

If I could get Mobil E10 or especially Gull E10 down here, I'd be on it like a fat kid on cake.

I ran my RS on track with the Gull E10 once..

The car ran like shit and detted like a pig..

Went back to 98 not a problem since

Wow, thats pretty amazing. Am going to switch over to BP Ultimate, wil give it a few weeks for ECU to catch up and see how things go.

we have the mobil 98 up here but theres no mention of any ethanol content, ive run my car on it, didnt really notice any difference over the bp stuff, i think its important to note that my rsks fuel econ improves in cold weather over a decent trip, but is worse on the to work run. and on fuel econ in general, some people's driving styles are just uneconomical, without even knowing. (driving slowly doesn't equal economy either )

EJ20T said:
...some people's driving styles are just uneconomical, without even knowing. (driving slowly doesn't equal economy either )

Ain't that the truth! I hate getting stuck behind those retards who can't travel at constant speed on the open road.. 90 down to 80 then back up to 100 then back down to 80 then hard on the brakes down to 60 halfway round a corner that you can take at twice that, then ooo theres a passing lane which makes them feel safe so they boot it up to 120 then back to 90 again at the end of it... using a heap more fuel to get there slower.

/end rant :-X

Just on this fuel thing in the country at the moment, im in the position to say shell and mobil are pulling out of NZ in the next couple of years. Unsure of when exactly.

This will open up Allied Petroleum to step in in their place which will hopefully reduce the price of fuel overall

Oesnam']

[quote name='Heroes Legend said:

Since buying my GT-B TT I've only ever used 98 and achieve about 550km to a tank, so a little bit shy of 10km/Litre. However, when I tried 95 in an emergency, 10L got me 4km. Sucked ass. No power on take off, couldnt rev too high as it would pre detonate, stalled all the damned time. Was a stink affair.

/quote]

All these high mileage's everyone achieves with TT GT-B's and B4's are starting to irritate me as I only manage to get max and i mean max of about 440-460km on a full tank. Thats with no boosting at all to check the economy. Maybe mine is running too rich or something. Or maybe because its a rev.B?

I dont think I drive any differently, but this fuel efficiency was the only way I managed to get around the bottom of the south island from dunedin to queenstown via bluff and te anau on 1 full tank and 2x 10l plastic cans, including scenic detours, getting lost etc.

GravelBen']

[quote name='EJ20T said:

...some people's driving styles are just uneconomical, without even knowing. (driving slowly doesn't equal economy either )

/quote]

Ain't that the truth! I hate getting stuck behind those retards who can't travel at constant speed on the open road.. 90 down to 80 then back up to 100 then back down to 80 then hard on the brakes down to 60 halfway round a corner that you can take at twice that, then ooo theres a passing lane which makes them feel safe so they boot it up to 120 then back to 90 again at the end of it... using a heap more fuel to get there slower.

God that rips my nightie to. I have no issue if people drive slow so long as they stay constantly slow. Doesn't help when every dick sees that you're in an STI and decides they want to race you in the passing lane ::)

dude its not just sti... plane jane wrx get putting into those situations.

also with the uneco driving... i get people saying oh my car is so bad on gas.. then see them drive its like foot flat 1st 2nd 3rd hit 50k then change to 4th and then ease the gas on

FWIW - from another forum.

At the last dyno day we had, my car knocked like crazy on the first run - so much so they had to abort the run. This was due to the car being tuned on BP 98, and having Gull Force10 in the tank on the day of the dyno run. The guys at Torque Performance said that Gull makes the air-fuel ratios run 0.5-0.8 leaner, which would've caused the detonation I experienced.

Swindog said:

Just on this fuel thing in the country at the moment, im in the position to say shell and mobil are pulling out of NZ in the next couple of years. Unsure of when exactly.

This will open up Allied Petroleum to step in in their place which will hopefully reduce the price of fuel overall

I work in the fuel industry and have not heard that. Interesting comments though. Strange that Allied have purchased kaurilands, that deliver their Mobil products, if you are saying mobil are on their way out. And as for Shell, they are rebranding to Greenstone, as far as I am aware. So maybe no "shell" as such but their brand of fuel will most likely stay. Would like to know more...

GravelBen']

[quote name='EJ20T said:

/quote]

That there is prime example

Madazj']

[quote name='Swindog said:

/quote]

I work in the fuel industry and have not heard that. Interesting comments though. Strange that Allied have purchased kaurilands, that deliver their Mobil products, if you are saying mobil are on their way out. And as for Shell, they are rebranding to Greenstone, as far as I am aware. So maybe no "shell" as such but their brand of fuel will most likely stay. Would like to know more...

Yeah was going to say with the Shell thing lol in the position of reading the newspaper? :D

Madazj']

[quote name='Swindog said:

/quote]

Shell Todd own Marsden Point, Which inturn sell fuel to BP and Mobil(yes NZ fuel come from the same place no matter who u go too). 91-95, diesel, E10 and Jet/AV fuel come form Marsden. 98 is fully imported. Gulls fuel is imported too.

My current car is E10 rated, but i still use 98. (N/A honda) the cost offset from using cheaper fuel vs. amount of kms you get on a tank, I stay with 98.

TBH the only reason you would bitch about not running a car on 98 is the price. (if you cant get 98 then there no really anything you can do)

If price is that much of an issues that you cant run 98 full time, sell up and get a bike.