Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Bug Eye RWD??

Hi all, have a question. I have a 2002 Bug Eye WRX sedan. Ive just had a cuple new panels put on which are blue and the rest of the car is Silver. Im not going to get them painted silver, im getting the whole car painted Satin Black this week, and I have Headlight Covers which will be painted either black, or what color should I have my headlights to make it look mean (i understand ill only be able to use them during the day, unless i just tint them)

But my real question is: I am a fan of Subaru, AND a fan of RWD cars so im wanting to make it RWD. (bad timing coming into winter i know). Ive had a couple of OLDER WRX and legacy RWDs and i know how to do thhe conversion. But im wondering if its any different with the newer WRX? (remove half shafts, remove diff?) Whats involved or is it exactly the same??

Guest boostin

No, they still use the gearbox speed sensor right up to V10. The wheel speed sensors are for ABS and DCCD only.

Being a WRX it won't be DCCD so nothing to worry about. Apart from lamp posts.

boostin said:

No, they still use the gearbox speed sensor right up to V10. The wheel speed sensors are for ABS and DCCD only.

Being a WRX it won't be DCCD so nothing to worry about. Apart from lamp posts.

and if we satisfied some of the above conditions.. would the abs or ecu through a nut?

Guest boostin

The ABS should only care if you're on the picks. I think.

The ECU won't care either. It's got nothing to do with the ABS.

Treecrusher']

[quote name='boostin said:

Apart from lamp posts.

/quote]

:D That is golden.

I seen a toss pot today giving Subaru drivers a bad name and a lamp post would have fixed him good and proper.

Were about's and what were they doing?

Behind indy cars. A small side street with cars parked either side and people walking around. He was in a blue/purple BH5. He redlined first and second before ripping up the hand brake and just about hitting a another car.

If only the brakes had of failed at just the right time, his friends would have been telling us what a great guy he was as they picked pieces of him and his car of the Hoyt's wall.

Guest keltik

1st gear and the rev limiter were made for each other. AWD and Legacy handbrakes on the other hand were not.

keltik said:

1st gear and the rev limiter were made for each other.

In general I agree, however in this instance anything over about 35/40 kph was to fast and the 80 or 90 he would've been doing at the end of second was just bullet in the head stupid.

Just goes to show it doesn't matter what speed tolerance the police have decided to enforce there are always going to be toss pots out there trying their damnedest to increase the road toll or I.Q of the population.

I'd imagine ripping the handbrake up at those sort of speeds would stuff the centre diff pretty quick.

a while back Gee Mutch had the v7 rwd drift car and that seemed to run really well. be good to see more of them tho.. satin black wud look good man.. post up some pics when done ay..

and yea, as far as i read, it pretty much same as older models - lock centre and remove the axles pretty much.

Carbon said:

a while back Gee Mutch had the v7 rwd

And there wasnt much subaru stuff in the rear drive train of that.....From memory he utilized a nissan diff?

yip. they had it drifting at the boys day out at mystery creek earlier this year.

Carbon said:

a while back Gee Mutch had the v7 rwd

And there wasnt much subaru stuff in the rear drive train of that.....From memory he utilized a nissan diff?

he had the r200 diff from a nissan there but seeing his level of competition its only fair to have the best possible ay.. dam that v7 smoked the rear wheels sooo hard ;D

funkytown']

[quote name='shrug said:

Iv never removed front shaft's doing it. U just weld up centre diff.

/quote]

eeeh... so wudnt that make a locked diff 4wd? your still transmitting power to the front no....?

+1 ???

pappu']

[quote name='Carbon said:

quote]a while back Gee Mutch had the v7 rwd

he had the r200 diff from a nissan there but seeing his level of competition its only fair to have the best possible ay.. dam that v7 smoked the rear wheels sooo hard ;D

he was at the rotary nats its now purple and ruff as gutts but smoked up mint

Koom said:

Depends if you've pulled the guts out of the centre diff or just welded the spider gears in place.

i pulled the guts from my first one and welded the bits required, however than didnt last long, broke the welds a few days later, not enough surface area to weld, now have spider gears done and havent broke it since.