Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

tyres

anyone recomend any good tyres

currently have toyo t1-r , almost out of tread , if car ant sold i need to be looking at getting new tyres

anyone got any ideas???

re11 , re070

^ What he said. Seeearch. There are several threads. Ignore the flame wars that happened in there ;D

Do you like the T1-R tyres on there? If so, get moar. If you hate them, get different tyres.

They are all different. See what other people say about 'em. That should help you decide what tyres would suit YOU.

They seem to be a love or hate kind of tyre. Some love them, some hate them.

I think Potenzas are the same - love them or hate them. I love them. Boostin hates them.

Doing some hunting, as I can't find the thread I had in mind. Start with this one:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,9366.0.html

Potenza-centric, but a few strong opinions in there.

Another thread:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,11027.0.html

Something I have to say as Devil's Advocate at this point; the first few pages of the search results for 'tyres' yields everyone yelling USE THE SEARCH. I think we need to find/compile one giant tyres b!tching thread, and STICKY it so people can FIND the sod.

im a bridgey man so i say go with them

shales right. love em or hate em

but having had a set of re010 adrenaline and re070s (expensive but mean) ive fallen for them

i bought my current rex with T1Rs and theyre ok but i think they have too smaller shoulder, and subies love to scrub out those shoulders!

bridgestones have good solid shoulders and nice thick sidewalls

pirellis... good grip but flimsey, noisey and not worth the price also only good in a straight line like toyos

dont like slop-lops (dunlops)

could try yokohamas ive heard good things but havent driven on any.

this is only what ive learnt since having a couple of rexes. and knowing that a rex is hard on fronts!

and thats my 20cents! ;D

jacsmiley said:

im a bridgey man so i say go with them

shales right. love em or hate em

but having had a set of re010 adrenaline and re070s (expensive but mean) ive fallen for them

i bought my current rex with T1Rs and theyre ok but i think they have too smaller shoulder, and subies love to scrub out those shoulders!

bridgestones have good solid shoulders and nice thick sidewalls

pirellis... good grip but flimsey, noisey and not worth the price also only good in a straight line like toyos

dont like slop-lops (dunlops)

could try yokohamas ive heard good things but havent driven on any.

this is only what ive learnt since having a couple of rexes. and knowing that a rex is hard on fronts!

and thats my 20cents! ;D

RE-11 for me :) Just over $200 a corner if you suck up to the right person, and so far mine have survived 10,000km and a track day with 6-odd mm left and not one single slip. They are smooth, predictable and grippy as hell!!

And yes. Rotate rotate rotate! Subarus chew through fronts faster than a fat kid chews through cake.

I run Goodyear Wrangler AT/R's on my landcruiser :P 265/70 16 :) but goodyear dont make them no more which is typical,I find a good tyre and the bloody manufacturer stops making them :)

I loved my Yokohama A352's on my Leone RX but they dont make them no more :(

BC5RA']

[quote name='liquid_ice said:

I have ling longs...... :P

They smoke up well and the weird thing is that they dont seem to be missing any tread ???

/quote]

You just aborted this thread.

;D

i have re-001's (adrenaline) on my RSK, very pleased with there performance, but they do wear fast, previous i had yokohama ??? cant remembers they were shit, most scary understeers in cold or damp road ive ever had, also had yokohama S drives, expensive but good, direzzas are shit, sport MAXX ok, eagle F1 ok.

Try the RE-11 instead. They aren't discontinued, and can't be TOO different...and available in your size. Cheaper, too.

Otherwise you're going to need to call/email Bridgestone NZ and ask them if they can still get em. I've seen em advertised, but probably as old stock.

They have huge tread blocks, but semi-slick patterns look like this:

2912_9lo.jpg

RE070 looks like this:

potenza02.jpg

And RE-11 looks like this:

modp_0906_30+performance_tire_buyers_gui

The Potenza semi-slick is the RE55s, look like:

021125-1.jpg

You can see similarities, but they ain't the same.

Spec C said:

are the re070 a semi slick tyre ??? yes ?

They are a semi slicking "looking" tyre (from the outside edge anyway) - but are a bit harder compound than a proper race tyre. Still softer than your usual road tyre, so if you do a lot of k's in the car they wont last as well as the road tyre.

Shale said:

They have huge tread blocks, but semi-slick patterns look like this:

2912_9lo.jpg

RE070 looks like this:

potenza02.jpg

And RE-11 looks like this:

modp_0906_30+performance_tire_buyers_gui

The Potenza semi-slick is the RE55s, look like:

021125-1.jpg

You can see similarities, but they ain't the same.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

sexy tires!!

neither are semi slick but have semi slick qualities.

im not sure about the re11s but the re070 is a run flat tire. when we took mine off the rim. the tire kept jumping back on the bead coz they were so stiff. those re11s look pretty fine though. id go for them just because they look sexy opps im mean have big wide shoulders

I have RE070s. They're not runflats. They're only available in very limited sizes, I'm pretty certain that you can't get them in any sizes other than for the cars that they are OEM for (GDB STi, R35 GTR, NSX, some clubsport versions of the S2000). So pretty sure you can't get them in 18" for your rims.

They grip and brake amazingly well, turn in and steering feel is fabulous. Wear isn't too bad, although I don't put a lot of mileage on. Downsides are that they're noisy, harsh and quite pricey. My opinion? I bought a second set, but only because the RE-11 wasn't released in time.

Spec C said:

anyone know where to get re-11 cheaper than $370 each (225/40/18)

18" is an awkward size. You're going to pay through the nose. My stock version 8 STi rims take a 215-45R17 RE-11 for $205 a corner as a comparison. If you were running a smaller rim, you'd get cheaper tyres. On the upside your rims don't look too bad ;) they are just expensive to feed.

Yeah stock rims will help. If you can store your current rims somewhere safe you could keep 'em until you can afford to renew the tyres. There are some decent deals around for bare stock rims, or rims with partly worn tyres...keep your eye on TradeMe, ClubSUB, and all your local wreckers.

When I actually find the rims I want, I'll be keeping two pairs; one with either RE050 or RE-11 tyres, and one with proper semi-slicks (probably R888 because I'm a track n00bfag). Plenty of others have several pairs of shoes for their cars too. If you think that's an economical way of managing your tyres, go for it. Otherwise you'll need to foot big tyre bills, and I imagine you're developing a taste for the sort of tyres that are both expensive and wear out really fast ;)

ALSO. I might note that SOME people (not ALL) have wet weather comments about all of the above tyres. Semi-slicks are horrible in the wet. Not sure about the RE070 but while my RE-11 have never let go, I don't feel like I can push them too hard in the wet (not that I would anyway, but it removes all temptation). So if you do go for a tyre with a chunky, aggressive tread pattern, remember to keep it in your pants unless you wanna find out for us if they spin out easily or not :P

Worst comes to worst, more T1-R Toyos. But I doubt you'll regret a full set of brand new Potenzas.