Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Unleaded 91,95/96 or 98 Octane.What do you use?

uwa8nc

Hey guys,as you know im driving the legacy B4 2000,

Just wondering,as a guy at a car yard told me once it's ok to use Unleaded 91 for the B4,

I still think 96 & 98 is a better option,for the turbo's and engine etc

But is also a little more expensive.

What do you guys reckon,Is it ok if i use 91? ;D

the_return_of_the_jedi said:

short answer no.

use 98 where available

or 95 if no 98 avaialable.

Guessed as much,I always used 98 in my wrx,Since it was single turbo,Never thought i should for the B4,because it's a newer car,So yeah but will continue using 98.Cheers Buddy!

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi

im sure someone will disagree tho lol

iv always used 98 in turbo's

91 just made it run like shite

My dad tried to fill up my Forester with 91 once... I nearly castrated him on the spot. After an enthralling ear bashing he put the 91 pump back and put in 95 (this was at the shell in Whangamata no 98 available) He still tries to tell me its ok to put low octane fuel in my car when I'm playing airport taxi to him sometimes ::)

In short, 91 octane = bucket full of fail, det at a minimum and your car will run like a sack of spuds

95 is better, Car will run ok if its not getting thrashed

98 is best, most jap imports are tuned to 100+ octane I believe so the closer you get to that the better your car will run.

Topics been covered many times before, i have on numerous occasions explained what octane ratings are (and do). Read up here if interested.

Only reason I'm posting, is because I'm in disbileaf, the dealer who sold you your turbo subaru... said it was ok to run 91?! wtf! Man I would have castrated him on the spot if it were me.

ReubenH said:

Topics been covered many times before, i have on numerous occasions explained what octane ratings are (and do). Read up here if interested.

Only reason I'm posting, is because I'm in disbileaf, the dealer who sold you your turbo subaru... said it was ok to run 91?! wtf! Man I would have castrated him on the spot if it were me.

you gotta remember that when people are told things by people that are "suppose" to be in the know tend to think what is said is "truth/law"....so to speak ::)

Run 95 in my GTB as I am often in areas where I don't have any other option. But its stock as a rock so generally doesn't create any audible detonation. However I don't bother thrashing it anymore either.

The RS is tuned for Mobil 98 (the E10 version) only.

petrolheadjman said:

This seems to be the place to clear this up, is it true that in japan they have rather high octane fuel like 100+ and in the states they have quite low like less then 90?

I heard this and was wondering its validity

RON in japan VS MON in USA, have a search