• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BEB Club Whose a member??

Guest DVNT

loren']

[quote name='BC5RA said:

Made sense to me.

/quote]

ok got it now. sorry DVNT... also not really a comment on the thread, but there is a definite culture

on this forum that says running a BEB is somehow cool.

LOL it does seem to be the cool thing to say "i ran a BEB, then decided to forge it when i rebuilt it"

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

loren']

[quote name='BC5RA said:

Made sense to me.

/quote]

ok got it now. sorry DVNT... also not really a comment on the thread, but there is a definite culture

sorry but i dont see it like that but hey each to their own ay ;D

keep them coming guys and girls tis interesting stuff

Guest keltik

Allow me to be one of the few to say

"I blew a big end bearing and sold the stupid bloody subaru to buy a sensible car that wouldnt eat all of my money"

I bought an Opel....which ate just as much money....but the thought was there

2001 Blitzen. 133000kms

Primary turbo went, changed that out, new primary only lasted 2 days, got second turbo replaced under warranty, while at workshop on the "test drive" BEB went. 5 months later and lawyers involved the engine was fixed.

• General Member
 loren']

[quote name='BC5RA said:

Made sense to me.

/quote]

I think its more a resigned attitude, oh well its happened lets have a laugh now its behind us.

I think this attitude prevails because its so bloody common.

D-Style said:

2001 Blitzen. 133000kms

Primary turbo went, changed that out, new primary only lasted 2 days, got second turbo replaced under warranty, while at workshop on the "test drive" BEB went. 5 months later and lawyers involved the engine was fixed.

ohhhhhhh very messy by sounds of it although warranties sound like a must when buying subbies these days.

im just glad the guy before me didnt rape my car too much. ;D

1996 GTB, 87,000kms. Had primary turbo replaced, got it back with no water in it, blown head gaskets and a slight knock when cold which turned out to be...

gtb-piston-bearings-2.jpg

Wasn't a happy chappy, and the c**ts got away with it too. So yea I joined the "i ran a BEB, then decided to forge it when i rebuilt it" club.

BC5RA said:

Nobody punctuates these days.

can anyone say Grammar Nazis?

Edit: also I'm Guessing those shards of metal were once one of the mystical BEBs?

1993 Gt legacy wagon

167,000kms caused from thrashing and pod filter also i think it had to do with installing a pivot meter to remove the limit on speed and doing some speed runs.

i miss the legacy's boot space

I can't believe I'm NOT in the BEB club yet! BF5 GT with 280 on the chassis and 220 on the engine, blown to hell waterpump, overheated so bad by previous muppet it seized. Boosted multiple times despite all of this under my ownership to try and un-stick the seized turbo. Boosted so hard it finally killed the broken gearbox even. Used as a transport wagon for about 3km each way in this state. :o

Betcha it'll blow when I rebuild it.

Guest keltik

I thought it was pretty simple, inadequate oil pressure in the bearings to prevent surface contact.

So either oil pressure is inadequate or the loading on the bearing is above what it was designed for.

i.e Blocked oil galleries giving inadequate flow to the bearing for high rpm stress

Crappy old oil pump unable to provide enough pressure for the loads

Excess loading from detonation

Oil breakdown from high temps/old age

Incorrectly clearanced bearings on rebuilds or people not following break-in procedure

Dodgy surfaces from wear 'n tear and old age or utter thrashing

Correct me if im wrong - but that seems to fit with everyones failures and the small amount i know about these things

nzkaosnz said:

the main one is the subaru lottery. Whether your numbers up or not.

Im not an expert, but I do agree with what Keltik has said - there is a number of specific reasons as he has mentioned and it regularly seems to come down to remembering that Subarus are simply a bit more sensitive in this area compared to other performance cars. Nothing that cant be prevented by buying a car thats healthy (ie do thorough checks prior to purchase, not just a VIR or similar) and then maintaining the car properly and respecting these well known issues when raping the car.

Im a member of this club too now that i think about it

My old car from about 5 years ago...

1997 Honda Accord SIR

307000km

BEB went due to EXTREAME thrashing due to driving up the porthills alittle to much with everyones DH bikes on the back... lol

NotAnotherWhiteGTB said:

Im a member of this club too now that i think about it

My old car from about 5 years ago...

1997 Honda Accord SIR

307000km

BEB went due to EXTREAME thrashing due to driving up the porthills alittle to much with everyones DH bikes on the back... lol

lol good posts guys and prevention is obvisouly the way to go to keep your $5000-$10k in your pocket if only for awhile longer before rebuilting.

and 307000 is pretty good for a honda lol ;D

Me (x1). Law's Rd last year Nov 2008. I was a bit embarrassed to admit at first. But i have followed in the footsteps of many!

Mine was due to detonation: poor fuelling and the use of a boost tap which caused spiking. That is all sorted now with an aftermarket ECU mappping the fuel and boost levels and other stuff

I've had BEB in my 96 BG5 GTB - I dont know the history of the car but I drove it like my STI RA so I'm putting down as a contributing factor.

It was a long time ago so cant remember details.