Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

sti ver6 boost

G-unit

ok so since ive had my car shes been on 8-9psi, so now i have a few weeks holiday i wana sort it out,am thinking it could be a dodgy standard controller

could someone show me a pic of theres and how its set up as mine had a new motor fitted just before i got it and was thinking maybe shes been hooked up wrong

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chrisjunkie said:

Ill take some pics tonight though admittidly mines a version 7 STi shortblock set up as a version 6 STi in my BH legacy... ;D Still the same mind you :P

mine ment 2 have a ver7 block 2,

mmm boost pill, that goes in the shorter hose a??

the black hose from the controller goes to the inlet bend after the afm

the config is like this:

from turbo nipple to pill then to the tee

one side of tee goes to wg nipple and the other goes to the controll unit u have in pic

yea try another pill and see if issues. perhaps a ecu reset may help in case was in limp mode (not likely)

replaced hose and put the pill back in, still 0.5bar, dont think its in limp mode as i still get around 550ks per tank of gas, ecu reset u think?

dont wana put my boost tap in just so i have 16psi,that would be the easy way :)

Hey dude

I was having the exact same issue in my V7 Sti what I did was the following

1. Disconnected the whole hose from the turbo nipple to the tee and from the tee valve to the wastegate acutator and from the tee valve to the solenoid and replace all those hose with 4mm Silicone hose.

2. Insert the restrictor pill in the new hose between the turbo nipple and the tee valve - Suggestion that was put to me by boostcut was to go down to BOC gases and find a 1.2mm Mig Welder tip and machine that down the appropriate size, so I machined mine down to 4.2mm and about 1cm long) **helpful suggestion** try and use the end of the mig welder tip as it has a cone shaped inlet and something about if the cone side is facing the tee valve when the air comes out it creates a mini vortex and can regulate the right amount of boost for your solenoid. (some crap like that don't think that's the case but it worked for me) :).

3. If the solenoid is a 2 nipple one the horizontal valve on the solenoid (rule of thumb the nipple on the solenoid pointing to the turbo) this the the one the hose connects to from the tee valve to the solenoid. The vertical valve or nipple that points down on the solenoid is the one that connects to the factory intake pipe. **Note** make sure you check all the nipples so see if they are blocked with solids or oil (Including the nipples on the solenoid) if so then spray some degreaser down it and it should clean it out. Sometimes the boost lines could have oil in it and that can block up the solenoid and stop it from bleeding off access air this can sometimes lead to the boost limit dropping because the pressure cannot open the wastegate actuator properly due to the solenoid not doing its job properly and being blocked.

And if all else fails then my suggestion is check the solenoid and maybe replace that if after you've done the steps above and it still is on low boost. But I'm sure once the lines are replaces this should eliminate this low boost issue.

What I also did and I know that its not highly regarded on this forum but I installed a HDi SBC-D-RX boost controller because I didn't understand the need to install a standalone boost controller if Subarus as standard, come with this similar technology (I know the factory solenoids aren't the greatest but they do work) :). Once I explore the option of a standalone ECU I will then look at the option of upgrading my boost management system but the HDi Controller works good for me. $150 cant complain thats how much I got the controller of trademe so not a bad bargain :).

Anyways thats my 10 cents dude good luck with the boost issue and if it works then all I can say is once the boost comes on you cant stop its like a drug.

Good luck Buddy :)

MQUW3T said:

Hey dude

I was having the exact same issue in my V7 Sti what I did was the following

1. Disconnected the whole hose from the turbo nipple to the tee and from the tee valve to the wastegate acutator and from the tee valve to the solenoid and replace all those hose with 4mm Silicone hose.

2. Insert the restrictor pill in the new hose between the turbo nipple and the tee valve - Suggestion that was put to me by boostcut was to go down to BOC gases and find a 1.2mm Mig Welder tip and machine that down the appropriate size, so I machined mine down to 4.2mm and about 1cm long) **helpful suggestion** try and use the end of the mig welder tip as it has a cone shaped inlet and something about if the cone side is facing the tee valve when the air comes out it creates a mini vortex and can regulate the right amount of boost for your solenoid. (some crap like that don't think that's the case but it worked for me) :).

3. If the solenoid is a 2 nipple one the horizontal valve on the solenoid (rule of thumb the nipple on the solenoid pointing to the turbo) this the the one the hose connects to from the tee valve to the solenoid. The vertical valve or nipple that points down on the solenoid is the one that connects to the factory intake pipe. **Note** make sure you check all the nipples so see if they are blocked with solids or oil (Including the nipples on the solenoid) if so then spray some degreaser down it and it should clean it out. Sometimes the boost lines could have oil in it and that can block up the solenoid and stop it from bleeding off access air this can sometimes lead to the boost limit dropping because the pressure cannot open the wastegate actuator properly due to the solenoid not doing its job properly and being blocked.

And if all else fails then my suggestion is check the solenoid and maybe replace that if after you've done the steps above and it still is on low boost. But I'm sure once the lines are replaces this should eliminate this low boost issue.

What I also did and I know that its not highly regarded on this forum but I installed a HDi SBC-D-RX boost controller because I didn't understand the need to install a standalone boost controller if Subarus as standard, come with this similar technology (I know the factory solenoids aren't the greatest but they do work) :). Once I explore the option of a standalone ECU I will then look at the option of upgrading my boost management system but the HDi Controller works good for me. $150 cant complain thats how much I got the controller of trademe so not a bad bargain :).

Anyways thats my 10 cents dude good luck with the boost issue and if it works then all I can say is once the boost comes on you cant stop its like a drug.

Good luck Buddy :)

thanks for that bud, am guna try a different solanoid from dv8er,hopefully next week it should be here, will go check all the hoses etc for gunk and see what i get, thanks

running with the solenoid not wired in and then wired in - does itr make a difference. what if ur solenoid is stuck shut as no matter what pill size that will limit it to wg spring pressure

that wud be an easy test of solenoid.

if makes no difference with it plugged in and not then possible a faulty or dirt filled solenoid??