Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

alternator whine with my new amp

chaminda

Hi

I know i'm asking too many questions now. But i will put up pics of my new install

This is what i installed

Pioneer GM 6200F 4 channel amp (2nd hand)

Pioneer Pioneer TSD-1720C - 17 inch speakers with tweeters

Panasonic head unit (has 2 pre- outs and was cheap !)

New wiring for all speakers

For power I got a 4ga cable from the battery into the passenger side. Then a 10ga from there to the amp which is under the passenger front seat (BIG mistake - I''ll be rewiring this so its going to move to the boot)

The ground wire is 10ga secured to one of the bolts which holds the seat.

The sound quality is excellent. Very smooth bass.

BUT the problem is i get a whining noise - worse on acceleration!

So its a alternator whine (goes of when the stereo is muted).

Not sure what exactly to do (first)

1. Better ground connection

2. my RCA cables do run in parrallell with my power wire - could this cause a alternator whine?\

3. Install a ground loop isolator??

Advice would much appreciated

Promise will put up pics of my install!

for a start, move the RCA cables away from the power ones, 10-20cm away will do fine. this may not help your current problem, but it may save you from some others :)

as for your current problem, try cleaning your earthing points, sand a bit of the paint to metal so you have a good onnection to the car. see if that helps at all.

-smurff

• 1 month later...

Think my RCA are pretty decent. they seem to have good insulation.

The whine is coming from my speakers - I've checked it out and confirmed it. Thought moving the RCA cables away from the power would do the job but it didn;t. Have a better earth connection now but still getting the whine. Will try to sandpaper the paint and see if that works. Other wise i'm going to be stuck with a whine!

I think theres such thing as an inline noise filter, but Im not really sure if these work or not. you dont get noise from your indicators when they go? Im sure you've checked all your wiring. and is the noise coming from all of your speakers?

you say 4g going to passenger side then 10g from there to the amp under the seat?

Do you have a join there?

you should only have one join in the power cable (or any cable/wire for that matter) and that is the fuse and that should be mounted as close as physically possible to the + terminal on the battery.

my bet is the join in your cable is causing interference with the signal either to or from the amp.

unfortunately only 1 way around this. go to jay-car/dick smith and get 5mtrs of 8g cable and run 1 complete length from your fuse down the full length of the car on the opposite side of the car to your RCAs and speaker wire.

I have 2 8g wires running the full length (left side) of my car and 4g from the + terminal to a twin 60amp circuit breaker.

On the right side i have 5 RCAs and 2 16g speaker wires for the front speakers my 6x9s and twin 12" subs are in the back so the wires don't have far to go.

I have no whine , click or anything accept what I wanna hear.

Smooth kidney pounding teeth rattling bass...and I love it. ;D