Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

panel filter.whats better? the factory item or aftermarket

ok i know this has been coverd how many times and all questions have been answerd.

iam aware that a podfilter simplly has no hp gain and is only used on the point of induction noise,

i now have too sit in traffic driving too and from work.im currently running a podfilter,over the last couple of days i have been noticing my car ideling funny if i sit in traffic too long,i opend up the bonnet the other day too find my podfilter red hot,now you dont have to be a genius to no that its doing more harm than good,

so im simply going to use my factory airbox again and see if i notice any changes.

here is my question,

is the factory paper panel filter still the best bang for your buck or aftermarket.?

this is what iv been looking at,bit pricey but will this be any diffrent to the stock standard one

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/engines/auction-388617916.htm

let me know what you think

yeh thats true.but they seems so thin and fragile.im not saying there crap but the must be a better a/m option?

anyone know the max flow rate of a panel filter?

sweet thanks.iv been planing on going back to airbox.but not sure if i wana run the factory item.but will try it and see if it does the trick!

My understanding is that the replacement flat panels are ok for subies as long as they are a dry filter (not an oiled one). I have heard that the K and N ones are no good as they are oiled and that can gunk up the senors on the intake.

May be wrong but this is what I have heard from a couple different mechanics.

cheers for yor replys.yeh im running a oiled poddy now and often have to attend to me afm because of this.crc afm cleaner does the trick

iv been told by several sources to try stay away from the k,n ones and look for a better flowing panel filter

the cosworth ones seem to be ok

lunchie said:

My understanding is that the replacement flat panels are ok for subies as long as they are a dry filter (not an oiled one). I have heard that the K and N ones are no good as they are oiled and that can gunk up the senors on the intake.

May be wrong but this is what I have heard from a couple different mechanics.

Only if over oiled but otherwise are a good investment will last for like a million kms and have a rock solid reputation worldwide anyways your afm and other sensors should be cleaned at each service with electrical cleaner not degreaser or brakekleen. its each to their own really the pod will do the same job as long as its sheilded away from the heat of the engine bay just like the factory airbox

K&N are junk in dusty conditions !

The 760hp speedway chev was eating dirt and killing engines with a K&N complete airbox

I have gone back to paper element now for the super sallon and NO more dust in the intake trumpets

Rebuilds now only require bearings and rings as precaution not pistons / bore and crank grind anymore :)

johnny5 said:

hes on the road rick not dirt :D

Indeed, but the dirt enviroment proves that they are no good

Yes lots more dust to suck in and it did, huge amounts of it

So in an eviroment with less dust , this would mean less dust into your engine

LESS JUST AINT GOOD ENOUGH - for any engine