Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

alarm install

G-unit

the sti i may be getting has no alarm fitted, some alarms i see on trade me say some cars need the door acuator which is an extra cost, do the ver5/6 sti have them already? i remember my bc rs didnt, was thinking of getting a 5star uniden with dual imobliser like i had in the rs, or what else is out there under $200 thats worth getting, obviously trade me has some for like $89 but im piking there crap, anyone got 1?

cheers

Regardless of what central locking is in the car; I still prefer to run my own door actuator, and two separate relays to trigger it. Most alarms only supply 200mA or so for the lock/unlock trigger wires. Some have built in C/L relays on-board the alarm module - but separate relays aren't overkill, and are easier to troubleshoot when they play up.

Avoid the cheap alarms - more hassle than they're worth.

Either an AVS S5, Dynatron D7800, Mongoose M60, or the like would be the minimum I'd be putting in any Subaru. Things like GPS tracking would be ideal - but not essential.

AVS Car Security said:

Hey G-Unit

All most all insurance companies are going to want you to have a five star alarm fitted. This also means it MUST be fitted by an NZSA installer or the insurance rating is not valid. If you want I can sort you a good deal on getting an S5 fitted in your area 8)

Brad

Would be good if a price was up, I might be interested in 5 star alarm aswell. ;)

Stay away from Uniden bro they are fucking horrible. Mongoose, AVS, Autowatch are your best bet, but you get the most out of an alarm when the person who installs it knows what they're doing more than the brand

Scoobydoo']

Go see Mu @ Big Noise, see what he recommends. They do AVS I believe.

will do

never had any problems with my last uniden 5star, but did cost a bit for install, small town no competition for price,

what would the AVS fitted be worth? just a 5star with 2 imoblisers

[quote name='Lampard said:

Stick to the steering wheel lock, you cant go wrong. :D

also have 1 of these, the car will be home most of the time guarded by my noisey dog and wife works from home

The NZSA star ratings mean very little in terms of security. It's more of a marketing thing. The factory fitted Subaru immobilizers 2003+ are far more advanced - but just not recognized by insurance companies.

But still stick to a "5 star" system, regardless. I think S5 has been mentioned multiple times already... and they're a good club sponsor!

ADIKT said:

All insurance companies ive been through require a 5star...

State don't (in fact they insured my STi when it had NO ALARM WHATSOEVER - albeit with monstrous excess), and AA's online quote form only asks "does the car have a 4-star or higher rated alarm system fitted" so I presume they don't care if it's 4 or 5 either.