Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Buying a V8 Or V9 Sti

lunchie

Guest STiEVO
 Old Skool Subbie said:

Ok Ive got a Question. How do you tell a V8 from a V9 Sti?

Ive heard people saying they are selling a verson 9 when others say its a 8.

So Just so people know not to get ripped off how do you tell?

cosmetically -rear guards have stuck on plastic and the dash/console

STiEVO']

[quote name='D-Style said:

I owned a V9 Sti at one stage. Wouldnt even bother with the V8. ALso the engine was the highest specd out of all the standard STi's: 206Kw and 410nm Interior is the same lay out as the V10 which is much nicer than the V8.

The only prob i had with the V9, how is sounded like a EVO.

/quote]

interesting my V8 also sounds like an evo but i guess you learn to live with it . buy the way what have you gone into from the v9.v11 perhaps is it the same?

Havnt got another subi yet. Moved to aussie. I had another topic on here about buying a v11 non-sti. But ended up getting a Honda. Will look at the V11 STi towards end of year (if a new verison hasnt come out by then)

And yes when i sold my V9 i had so many people trying to tell me it was a V8. Was a laught a first but got very anonying after a while

D-Style']

[quote name='D-Style said:

I owned a V9 Sti at one stage. Wouldnt even bother with the V8. ALso the engine was the highest specd out of all the standard STi's: 206Kw and 410nm Interior is the same lay out as the V10 which is much nicer than the V8.

The only prob i had with the V9, how is sounded like a EVO.

/quote]

interesting my V8 also sounds like an evo but i guess you learn to live with it . buy the way what have you gone into from the v9.v11 perhaps is it the same?

Havnt got another subi yet. Moved to aussie. I had another topic on here about buying a v11 non-sti. But ended up getting a Honda. Will look at the V11 STi towards end of year (if a new verison hasnt come out by then)

And yes when i sold my V9 i had so many people trying to tell me it was a V8. Was a laught a first but got very anonying after a while

cool ok so i had a question, there is a guy selling his v 10 sti on here, he lists in the mods "spec C" springs, now im guessing that these would be lower and stiffer than stock sti, if so are such springs available for the version 9?, also since the car comes with 17's would there be any issues fitting 18's with regards to messing up the dccd or active diff due to different wheel sizes?, also im wondering how good are the cars in the snow, one of the BIG reasons im buying is to go up to the mountain (ski fields in) would these get up there ok or would u need chains? could u even fit chains to an sti with mags or if it was lowerd?

V9 Spec C springs must be around, but you'd find the generic lowered ones a lot easier to procure.

As to fitting 18's, there will only be problems if you fit less than 4... ;)

And, on snow, they are not too bad. But, it is a car, not a snow cat so take it easy.

Spec C springs are a bit stiffer, the rates are matched to the stock STi dampers as the usual STi suspension is overdamped for the springs AFAIK. Not sure if they're much lower, certainly there's still plenty of room on a stock Spec C to stick your whole foot in the wheel arch above the tire so not exactly an aesthetic modification (and slamming WRXs just makes them handle like crap anyway). The USDM ran Spec C springs, and they're always flicking them off cheap so you can probably find some cheapies on the NASIOC forums (just prepared to get murdered by shipping). No issues with 18 inch wheels as long as you keep the overall tire/wheel size the same, and have the correct offset to avoid rub / excessive scrub radius change / wheel bearing stress. You probably want dedicated snow tires for snow, performance tires like T1-R and other max performance street tires won't grip at those temperatures and are not recommended unless you like falling off cliffs in your new car.

Simon C said:

Spec C springs are a bit stiffer, the rates are matched to the stock STi dampers as the usual STi suspension is overdamped for the springs AFAIK. Not sure if they're much lower, certainly there's still plenty of room on a stock Spec C to stick your whole foot in the wheel arch above the tire so not exactly an aesthetic modification (and slamming WRXs just makes them handle like crap anyway). The USDM ran Spec C springs, and they're always flicking them off cheap so you can probably find some cheapies on the NASIOC forums (just prepared to get murdered by shipping). No issues with 18 inch wheels as long as you keep the overall tire/wheel size the same, and have the correct offset to avoid rub / excessive scrub radius change / wheel bearing stress. You probably want dedicated snow tires for snow, performance tires like T1-R and other max performance street tires won't grip at those temperatures and are not recommended unless you like falling off cliffs in your new car.

would you be able to fit chains to a v9 with 18's or would there not be enough clearance> this is with and without lowering springs

Just thought I'd post up about two issues I had with my V9 that seem to be common to owners on other forums that I frequent.

First was loose rear axle nuts. Makes a clicking noise from the rear axle when you change gears. Wingers charges $200 to fix this but found out later it can be done at home for a lot less.

Second was knocking rear shocks. They are an inverted design and sometimes the shaft will bind up and make a knocking noise when going over bumps. Easy fix, grease up the shafts and the noise is gone. Apparently it will come back but mine never did after 13000kms of driving.

Otherwise, I loved the V9 and its a good platform for basic tuning. The twin-scroll works well with the stock intake and exhuast and will make well over 200kw at the wheels, which in a street driven STI is pretty quick.

sti_v9 said:

Just thought I'd post up about two issues I had with my V9 that seem to be common to owners on other forums that I frequent.

First was loose rear axle nuts. Makes a clicking noise from the rear axle when you change gears. Wingers charges $200 to fix this but found out later it can be done at home for a lot less.

Second was knocking rear shocks. They are an inverted design and sometimes the shaft will bind up and make a knocking noise when going over bumps. Easy fix, grease up the shafts and the noise is gone. Apparently it will come back but mine never did after 13000kms of driving.

Otherwise, I loved the V9 and its a good platform for basic tuning. The twin-scroll works well with the stock intake and exhuast and will make well over 200kw at the wheels, which in a street driven STI is pretty quick.

did u have an NZ new or import? how did u find the car in stock form?

Guest STiEVO

the v8 has the same issue also just to let you aware.

lunchie said:

I had an import. Bought it from Wingers with 30000kms showing, had a full Japan service history. Also had Wingers do another 30k service when I bought it. Owned for just under 2 years and car ran perfectly, apart from the 2 issues above.

Things I didnt like about the car: I had semi-slick tyres on mine and the road noise was terrible; was like driving a waterfall. I'm sure the factory tyres would be quieter though. Hard suspension gives you "bobble head". Suspension is not harsh though and doesnt crash over bumps, you know its hard but it feels well controlled, the damper and spring work well together. Due to the hard suspension and low profile tyres the car tramlines alot, and every freaking panel in the interior will rattle and vibrate. I ended applying Dynamat to the the backs of the plastic trim in the cabin and this stopped most of the rattles. Lastly, the drivers seat sits way to high. For a track oriented car the seat should be at least 2 inches lower.

The good: the V9 coupled with semi-slick tyres will out handle almost any car on the road. The twin-scroll gives good response in any gear; no need to change down from 6th on the motorway, just mash the throttle and it will pull effortlessly. The stock setup makes good power with just a tune, no need to waste money on intakes, exhaust and BOV's. Some people argue that you need a full 3inch exhaust but the twin-scroll works well with the standard setup. If you want instant repsonse from the turbo stick with the stock exhaust and get it tuned. The 6-speed is good around town and you can stay in 3rd and 4th were other cars will need 2nd and 3rd.

Take one for a test drive, you won't be dissapointed.

I test drove Sti_V9s car a while back.

I have to agree on everything he said there. The tyres are noisy on all STIs, mine included. I have a set of Bridgestones on mine and whenever you hit a rough surface you may as well turn the radio off. The motorway down to Hamilton is a prime example.

I have suspension on my car that was tuned/designed by Toshi Aria of the Subaru World Rally Team specifically for the STi V-Limited and if you want "bobble head" come for a ride in mine. But it goes around a corner faster than a greased Italian Racing Snake (Ferrari).

The good that STI-V9 spoke of is a ditto for the V8.

I love my car. I love my car. I love my car.

sti_v9 said:

The good: the V9 coupled with semi-slick tyres will out handle almost any car on the road.

The v9 was good but not that good.

Lots of cars will easily out-handle one.

You need to distinguish between grip and handling.

Subarus are like Audis, they major on the former and minor on the latter.

;)

sti_v9']

[quote name='lunchie said:

/quote]

I had an import. Bought it from Wingers with 30000kms showing, had a full Japan service history. Also had Wingers do another 30k service when I bought it. Owned for just under 2 years and car ran perfectly, apart from the 2 issues above.

Things I didnt like about the car: I had semi-slick tyres on mine and the road noise was terrible; was like driving a waterfall. I'm sure the factory tyres would be quieter though. Hard suspension gives you "bobble head". Suspension is not harsh though and doesnt crash over bumps, you know its hard but it feels well controlled, the damper and spring work well together. Due to the hard suspension and low profile tyres the car tramlines alot, and every freaking panel in the interior will rattle and vibrate. I ended applying Dynamat to the the backs of the plastic trim in the cabin and this stopped most of the rattles. Lastly, the drivers seat sits way to high. For a track oriented car the seat should be at least 2 inches lower.

The good: the V9 coupled with semi-slick tyres will out handle almost any car on the road. The twin-scroll gives good response in any gear; no need to change down from 6th on the motorway, just mash the throttle and it will pull effortlessly. The stock setup makes good power with just a tune, no need to waste money on intakes, exhaust and BOV's. Some people argue that you need a full 3inch exhaust but the twin-scroll works well with the standard setup. If you want instant repsonse from the turbo stick with the stock exhaust and get it tuned. The 6-speed is good around town and you can stay in 3rd and 4th were other cars will need 2nd and 3rd.

Take one for a test drive, you won't be dissapointed.

when u say get it tuned what exactly are you refering to? ive been in contact with torque performance in auckland and they suggest getting the ecu reflashed can produce gains in the vicinity of 12-15kw atw, does anyone have any experience with this?

lunchie said:

when u say get it tuned what exactly are you refering to? ive been in contact with torque performance in auckland and they suggest getting the ecu reflashed can produce gains in the vicinity of 12-15kw atw, does anyone have any experience with this?

Yep, by tune I mean an ECU reflash. My car did 180wkw stock with boost peaking at ~21psi and dropping to ~12psi. Car also runs quite rich, from memory I think the stock fuel map runs around 9.5:1 at the top of rev range. So by tuning the fuel and ignition maps and flattening out the boost curve the car will easily pick up another 15wkw if not more. I would suggest you try Speedsource for a reflash as they are a lot cheaper then Ecutek and you get the same result. You can also purchase a Taxtrix cable and have a crack at tuning/flashing yourself, its not hard but you need to do a lot of research before you make any changes.

A good friend of mine had his V9 ECU reflashed at SpeedtechNZ with very good results.

Base run (factory everything) got around 195kw@w. With full exhaust and panel filter in factory airbox and reflash it is up to 229.5kw@w - with a little more available with a good EBC and better boost control.

Guest STiEVO
 dimin said:

Anyone know what the cost is for a reflash tune ? Ive seen the Ecutek is quite expensive :-\

DTECH ask for Dave