Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How to: Rocker Cover Gasket

ben-jamminn

We are borg']

[quote name='DXROLLA said:

So since i replaced my rocker cover gaskets b](used genuine parts)[/b] the dam thing is still leaking on the drivers side, i replaced the half moon things, used sealer with them and new seals for the bolts. What else could be causing it to leak?

did you use GENUINE gaskets ? especially the wee bolt ones

PhatRS']

Try putting a washer behind all the bolts.

Yeah i might pull it apart tonight and check everything is right, if all else fails will give this a go.

So since i replaced my rocker cover gaskets (used genuine parts) the dam thing is still leaking on the drivers side, i replaced the half moon things, used sealer with them and new seals for the bolts. What else could be causing it to leak?

/quote]

As said above used all genuine parts

• 1 month later...
 DXROLLA']

Try putting a washer behind all the bolts.

Yeah i might pull it apart tonight and check everything is right, if all else fails will give this a go.

So since i replaced my rocker cover gaskets (used genuine parts) the dam thing is still leaking on the drivers side, i replaced the half moon things, used sealer with them and new seals for the bolts. What else could be causing it to leak?

/quote]

As said above used all genuine parts

Don\'t put washers behind the bolts, if you\'re resorting to that you\'re doing something wrong.

Here\'s a couple tips that I make use of and I never have a rocker cover leak.

Clean the absolute f**k out of the mating surface that the gasket touches on the head. Most the time the reason they leak is because they haven\'t been cleaned properly. Use brake clean not degreaser or petrol as brake clean doesn\'t leave a residue.

Next tip is use three bond gasket maker, amazing stuff. I apply it to the corners of the cam caps as shown except on the head not the gasket and I also put a little bit right the way around the head where the gasket touches. Probably unnecessary but then again, mine never leak.

Will give it ago, have taken it off again and re sealed everything but it is still leaking, driving me insane :-\ Might have to try using the sealer around the whole thing as im running out of choices and i dont want to have to pay some one to do it ::)

• 3 months later...
 jost said:

Just thought i\'d mention another option with the gaskets, The site below is half the price of the dealers in NZ and are genuine parts.

13272AA063 2 23.14$

13293AA051 2 9.56$

11051AA070 2 4.80$

13271AA051 12 14.40$

The link is below:

https://partsouq.com/

They have a lot of Subaru bits but no online catalogue so i use the opposedforces site.

Might be worth mentioning what engine those part numbers suit?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Never used it personally, but should do the trick just fine. Looks like that's the higher temp option usable with exhaust parts etc. The ultra black option is dedicated for oil resistance, so maybe slightly better for valve covers.

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/Permatex-Ultra-Black-RTV-Silicone-Gasket-Maker-Maximum-Oil-Resistance-95g.aspx?pid=5366#Recommendations

• 8 years later...

Big dredge but 

I have an EJ254 
the bottom corner bolts hit the subframe..

is it as simple as undoing the two 14mm bolts on the lower engine mounts, and the one going through the upper one, then jacking up the engine off the sump a little bit to where the bolts have enough room to come out? 

Sorry, first time doing this job. 

Cheers 

• Like 1

• Admin
4 minutes ago, swamp said:

Big dredge but 

I have an EJ254 
the bottom corner bolts hit the subframe..

is it as simple as undoing the two 14mm bolts on the lower engine mounts, and the one going through the upper one, then jacking up the engine off the sump a little bit to where the bolts have enough room to come out? 

Sorry, first time doing this job. 

Cheers 

Yea that'll work. 

• 2 weeks later...

cheers guys my rocker cover gasket was a relative breeze 

For anyone with a big engine say ej254 or ez30 I recommend this Koken quick spinner part no 2756 
1-4-quick-spinner.jpg

I got this from Amazon along with other Koken tools I used on this, love my 72 tooth 150mm flex head 3/8” ratchet! They’re priced pretty well and they’re quality. 

I jacked the engine up off the sump, all three engine mounts have to be loosened up. I found that the easiest way to get your engine to line back up with the mounts is do the top one first, use a screwdriver or chisel to pry it in place. Use lube and a gentle hammer if the bolt needs a bit of help getting in. 

but be smart! Don’t be like me and jack the sump up with cardboard. Get a bit of wood! I dented my sump. It doesn’t leak, is covered by the under tray, and is getting sold soon, so all good! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1