Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Spark plugs.

Jimbob

Go 2 41. its cheap, i wont name waht buss but some1 told gapping to .6 is best for a motor that will be running alot of boost. Saves coils too

sxcwrx said:

for coppers ive bought a set recently for $30

Last coppers I got at trade was lik $3 each lol, so yea tht aint trade.

Ngk irridiums trade are bout $60.

Coppers are shit though, I put a set in my wrx and the fouled really quick. Im now using bosch platinums cause they alot cheaper than ngk, ive always used ngk in the past.

If your coppers fouled really quick then your tune must be on the rich side..

At work all we use is coppers, unless they don't fit or suit the application.

never have a problem with coppers fouling up quickly. we can in some cars get 10,000kms out of a set before they start to look like they need replacing.

usually its just a servicable item that gets done or atleast checked when you do an oil change since they are your window to whats happening inside there.

CIutch Nade said:

Go 2 41. its cheap, i wont name waht buss but some1 told gapping to .6 is best for a motor that will be running alot of boost. Saves coils too

The stock recommendation seems to be .7-.8

How Tru is that running .6 is better

Cos that Wud be a good tip for performance enhancement is so

I been told opposite

Use wider gap for higher power.....

Anyone know any wiser?

The below is from experiance and personal opinion, each engine setup does vary so results may differ in your application.

You shouldn't have to go below .7mm otherwise your coils or somthing is not healty.

Most things we do are at .75-.8mm we use heat range 7 NGK coppers in subarus running 25psi, stock wasted spark or direct spark coil making 300kw

From our tests the spark plug gap doesn't effect the power curve at all on a turbo car (this was tested between .55mm and .9mm)

If you want a better spark a CDI system or MSD is a better option. Have proven dyno results of 13kw increase with no changes to tune, but this was on a car that was near the point of the stock coil system not being able to deal with the cylinder pressure.

the general thought was a larger gap would make more power - as theres more spark there effectively - not really more power as such - but a much more efficent burning of the air fuel mixture - ie if you can run a larger gap without getting spark blow out its worth it -

for instance standard RB coils can run around the 0.8mm mark with no problems but have major spark blow out at 1.1mm - fit spitfire coils and u can run 1.1 no problems with power gains to be had

as for what getlow said he is bang on about coppers - you shouldnt just bung in iridiums or platinums and think yeah theyre good for 80k or 100k or whatever you think they will last for - if you appreciate your engine you should be pulling them when u change the oil and checking them as the spark plugs tell the story of how your engine is running - and iridiums / platinums have NO power gains over coppers

well copper is a very good conductor - realistically the only way to increase spark energy is a better coil to deliver more energy - iridiums and platinums just last longer comparing to copper - heat range - and style of plug are alot more important than what the end is made of