Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Toyota 1UZ in a impreza

Hello, im looking at fitting a toyota 1uz V8 into a impreza. Has anyone done this conversion ? If so was there any majour problems you came accross.

Cheers

Have you checked there would be enough space not only for the engine but also for other important things such as the radiator, battery, powersteering pump, air con and brake booster?

Might be a place to start as I have my doubts an engine with 8 cylinders would fit in an engine bay designed for 4

matdaymon said:

Have you checked there would be enough space not only for the engine but also for other important things such as the radiator, battery, powersteering pump, air con and brake booster?

Might be a place to start as I have my doubts an engine with 8 cylinders would fit in an engine bay designed for 4

The engine bay is very wide so it looks as though the width wont be an issue. The toyota engine is the same length as most 2 liter in line fours. Lengh looks to be ok aswell, so radiator shouldnt be a problem.

I have tried searching U tube as well as other places such as google. If anyone can find any links and post them up would be appreciated.

Cheers

Guest evolutionsti

hey there mate...if you are serious about doing this conversion,a good friend of mine has done over 40 into evrything from a VK commy to a ke30 rolla(tight).ignore the 4 and 8 cylinder post.width wise you should be sweet.do a rough measurement from your xmember to the bonnet,then try get specs of a gearbox that is suitable and check your tunnel measurements.if all adds up ok,try source a gearbox first(this is proving the hardest and most expensive part to source nowadays).the 1uz power stats arent fantastic,so for shear performance benefits,it may be pointless...but for yeeee-argh factor it would be awesome.if you do decide to go forwarth-keep in touch

As mentioned above, 1uzfe's arent the greatest power horse's. the only way this is going to be beneficial with a 1uzfe is by getting one of the vvti versions and droping that in, otherwise the 1uzfe's arent anything to write home about.

If you still want to put a v8 in it, go get a nissan vk41 or vk45, they are the dog's balls, that would be what i would call bang for buck.

If you do go with the 1uzfe, can you for me put individual throttle bodies and bell mouths off them and make it sound like an old skool ferrari, that would get my appraisal

evolutionsti said:

hey there mate...if you are serious about doing this conversion,a good friend of mine has done over 40 into evrything from a VK commy to a ke30 rolla(tight).ignore the 4 and 8 cylinder post.width wise you should be sweet.do a rough measurement from your xmember to the bonnet,then try get specs of a gearbox that is suitable and check your tunnel measurements.if all adds up ok,try source a gearbox first(this is proving the hardest and most expensive part to source nowadays).the 1uz power stats arent fantastic,so for shear performance benefits,it may be pointless...but for yeeee-argh factor it would be awesome.if you do decide to go forwarth-keep in touch

I have driven a KE30 with the 1UZFE conversion. Your advise regarding ignoring the 8 into 4 cylinder is nothing if not misguided.

For a 1UZFE to fit into a KE30 there is generally some serious modification required to the firewall - more often than not the firewall gets hacked up as well as the transmission...

Back on topic:

Measure to death the engine bay of the Impreza then go find a wrecked vehicle with the 1UZFE fitted (such as the Landcruiser/GS300/etc) and measure the same distances in the impreza (this will give you an idea of what distances you need for clearance)...

Then go find a certifier and have a chat with them regarding what you want to do.

Best thing in the world you can do dickface is to ignore the old cliche of "My mate says or did, etc"

EDIT - Link & stuff below added

Engine_New1.jpg

This guy (^^pic above) actually has done the mod and runs a VL Calais V8i - 1UZ-FE, 4 speed tiptronic and 3.9 Lokka... www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?p=486762

as a pretty straight forward conversion, biggest problem is the exhaust manifolds. The crown engines are the most common to buy and the exhaust manifolds will fit but have the wrong sump position if u buy an LS400/Majesta motor it has a front sump and will fit but the exhaust manifolds wont. It is a tight fit (to change #8 spark plug the brake master cylinder needs to be unbolted and the rear brake line removed) but otherwise excellent. So smooth even at 6000rpm, cant even tell it is running when sitting at the lights (you can feel the vibrations from the speakers through car at idle with volume just audible)

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=1UZFE&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=o7_6SYSgEYv66gO2s5CmAg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=5&ct=title

wrx_lou said:

there was a red rex with one of those on trademe bout a month ago. Full on rear wheel drive with a supra gearbox and hilux diff. fully certed with a buy now of 10k

Yeah, and the drivetrain fell out the bottom and put the car in a paddock.

Johnnynz said:

Wasnt that a fatal accident in the end?

Or did we (the board) just speculate it was the same car?

Yeah it was fatal in the end.

What i've been told from some pretty reliable sources in the industry was that certian custom parts failed causing other parts to 'disconnect' from the car.

If you catch my drift.

Guest boostcut

oh ok.... so maybe the poorly made custom driveshaft front uj fell off and pole vaulted the car into outerspace..

At this years 4s&Rotors there was a Type R fitted with a nissan skyline motor? and was RWD was a satin black colour.

If i remember right the motor sat up pretty high and almost didnt clear the bonnet.

that Red WRX that lost it guts did that one still have a WRX engine or did it have something else in it?

• General Member

Old Skool Subbie said:

At this years 4s&Rotors there was a Type R fitted with a nissan skyline motor? and was RWD was a satin black colour.

If i remember right the motor sat up pretty high and almost didnt clear the bonnet.

that Red WRX that lost it guts did that one still have a WRX engine or did it have something else in it?

it was an SR20 and its up for sale

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/auction-213311267.htm

Guest evolutionsti

great to hear that you have driven a ke30...was the conversion hard???ive driven a ferrari but dont claim to know fuck all about them.and my mate would have to be one of the most experienced 1uz conversion experts in the country.i am trying to help this dude.all you can do is post a hopeless picture of an engine bay...ha,and for a commodore!as far as taking measurements goes..all of them have autos,so unless you want to make a impreza v8 auto,those measurements will be as useless as this guys post.like i said,if you choose to go forwarth,giza bell.

subieboy']

[quote name='evolutionsti said:

/quote]

I have driven a KE30 with the 1UZFE conversion. Your advise regarding ignoring the 8 into 4 cylinder is nothing if not misguided.

For a 1UZFE to fit into a KE30 there is generally some serious modification required to the firewall - more often than not the firewall gets hacked up as well as the transmission...

Back on topic:

Measure to death the engine bay of the Impreza then go find a wrecked vehicle with the 1UZFE fitted (such as the Landcruiser/GS300/etc) and measure the same distances in the impreza (this will give you an idea of what distances you need for clearance)...

Then go find a certifier and have a chat with them regarding what you want to do.

Best thing in the world you can do dickface is to ignore the old cliche of "My mate says or did, etc"

EDIT - Link & stuff below added

Engine_New1.jpg

This guy (^^pic above) actually has done the mod and runs a VL Calais V8i - 1UZ-FE, 4 speed tiptronic and 3.9 Lokka... www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?p=486762

as a pretty straight forward conversion, biggest problem is the exhaust manifolds. The crown engines are the most common to buy and the exhaust manifolds will fit but have the wrong sump position if u buy an LS400/Majesta motor it has a front sump and will fit but the exhaust manifolds wont. It is a tight fit (to change #8 spark plug the brake master cylinder needs to be unbolted and the rear brake line removed) but otherwise excellent. So smooth even at 6000rpm, cant even tell it is running when sitting at the lights (you can feel the vibrations from the speakers through car at idle with volume just audible)

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=1UZFE&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=o7_6SYSgEYv66gO2s5CmAg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=5&ct=title

evolutionsti said:

Our 1uz is currently putting our about 480hp on a standard bottom end. They are an great motor for performance!!!!!!

Try and get an early (pre 1996) 1uz as they had stronger bottom end than the "Mark II" 1uz's

There have been a few V8 conversions into subarus.

evolutionsti said:

great to hear that you have driven a ke30...was the conversion hard???ive driven a ferrari but dont claim to know **** all about them.and my mate would have to be one of the most experienced 1uz conversion experts in the country.i am trying to help this dude.all you can do is post a hopeless picture of an engine bay...ha,and for a commodore!as far as taking measurements goes..all of them have autos,so unless you want to make a impreza v8 auto,those measurements will be as useless as this guys post.like i said,if you choose to go forwarth,giza bell.

Typical muppet response.

So pray tell who is this mystical mate of yours that is as you claim the most experienced 1UZ conversion experts in the country?

BTW Those that know would say something like: "James, my mate from XYZ Performance has done the following with these at his track record" - so once again spill the name...

The photo is the only one I know of that illustrates the following well:

a) Size of the motor (it fills a Commodore engine bay that fits a RB30 motor with tons of room left or alternatively a factory V8... HINT HINT as to size of the motor)

b) If you also read the quote you would also see that he couldn't even use the factory manifold as it wouldn't fit, once again due to size of motor..

c) You will need to hack the firewall and transtunnel

All this tells you that you need to measure, measure and measure again.

Muppet