Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Bioethanol compatibility

paulngui

I just got a 2003 BP5 Legacy GT, and it had an empty fuel tank so I went to Gull and put in their 98 E10 fuel. I now see that these cars should not have this fuel put in.

Will one tank do much damage? And what other companies do 98 Octane? I know BP does, any others?

paulngui said:

I just got a 2003 BP5 Legacy GT, and it had an empty fuel tank so I went to Gull and put in their 98 E10 fuel. I now see that these cars should not have this fuel put in.

Will one tank do much damage? And what other companies do 98 Octane? I know BP does, any others?

One tank will be fine, I have used numerous tanks of gull 98 before I was told not too. The bigger cities have 98 every where

resurrection.inc said:

Always use bp 98 in my subbies. Neva knew gull had there own they rnt in chch, would i b able to use it in my bh legacy? Wats the diffeance from bp

Just 10% bio fuel. Someone can elaberate on that in depth. Ive never tuned on it always used BP98 for any of my cars that have been tuned as no Gull back home lol so cant go home :-[. reason I use it up here is a mate who does abit of tuning said it seems more resistant to knock compared to the BP98 from what he has compared so far. I have not tryed tuning with it so cant garentee/comment on his theory but my car daily GDB sure does seem to like it.

if you bought it from a dealer and you have a mechanical warrenty just check the fine print to see if the warrenty co permits its use. mine does not unfortunately

• 2 weeks later...

Found the following in an article from Consumer NZ:

What's the risk?

The main case against ethanol blends is a Japanese study released by New Zealand's Motor Industry Association. This indicates that using more than 3 percent ethanol in petrol might cause corrosion damage in fuel systems.

The Energy Efficiency Conservation Authority (EECA) disputes this. It says the study used an artificially corrosive blend of fuel - the researchers added peroxide and used a blend without corrosion inhibitor. Adding corrosion inhibitor to E10 is common industry practice and will be mandatory in all fuels sold here that receive the EECA biofuel label.

Corrosion can happen in cars that run on petrol; the oil industry has used corrosion inhibitor in petrol for many years to minimise this. Gull adds a little extra inhibitor to its E10 blend just to be sure.

Gull says it's had only praise and no complaints about the E10 blend, and is rapidly converting its service stations. (Sorry, South Islanders - Gull has no plans to bring E10 to you.)

The government will shortly begin tests to show that used Japanese imports can run on blends of 5 to 10 percent ethanol (as long as corrosion inhibitor is also used). Five percent ethanol is the minimum level of ethanol that oil companies want to introduce.

Also,

Tips for using ethanol fuel

• Make sure your car is suitable - check the AA list on the Gull website. This list covers models new in New Zealand; but the Imported Motor Vehicle Dealers Association says that if your used import was designed to use 98-octane fuel then it'll be OK on Gull Force 10.

• Look for the biofuels label to ensure good-quality fuel.

• Make the first fill a full one, in case there's a small amount of water in your tank. Ethanol can cope with small amounts of water - but not with big amounts (it separates out and dissolves into the water).

• Avoid very cold conditions while using the first fill. Water/ethanol mixtures can separate out in the tank or fuel lines more easily when it's very cold.

• 3 weeks later...

i have to drive all the way to Levin from Wellington to get GULL Fuel

i know that the Forester really like Gull Fuel, i noticed the different between that and the V-Power i get from Shell... since the forester is just a daily car, i think its ok to use 95