Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Interesting night with the police

Slidesector

• Admin
 Slidesector said:

The peice of paper just carry's notes (horriable handwriting to). It doesn't state anything other than single turbo sti engine. There is nothing about bigger turbo, type of ECU or anything like that as they didn't elaborate.

As long as it passed its brake test and passes all of the obvious tests he said it doesnt matter??

I understand about the insurance company as you have to state all of the modifications at the time and continue to update modifications as you do them, or they wont pay you anything.

Soon you will have to get type of tyres certified at this rate. It's a bit pathetic IMO.

The main reson for getting a CERT is to be LEGAL and legally modified, I didn't waiste 500 bucks for someone who doesnt even change his own tyres to tell me im naughty.

The piece of paper is almost as important as the cert itself. Obviously they can't fit all the stuff on your cert plate so that's why they have the spec sheet. If your paperwork (and the official record) doesn't say LARGER TURBO then you're not certed for a larger turbo. Mine lists each item in categories, including brand and model if applicable. E.g. it says IHI VF34 Turbocharger, Cusco underbody brace, blah blah blah

Just because a certifier does a lot of certs doesn't mean they're doing them right or that they're worth a damn cent when Johnny Law comes knocking. If your cert paperwork said "External Wastegate" then you wouldn't have this problem in the first place. If it was enough to just have "EJ20 MOD." on the plate and you could do whatever you wanted then what would be the point in doing an inspection for the cert anyway, they may as well just send you it in the mail. Maybe you should go back to your certifier and get them to update the paperwork, because I'm damn sure that if I got pulled over and they questioned a single thing on the car I could prove it was certed and legal.

boon said:

Is your wastegate on the cert? If not, you're f***ed.

Wastegate substitution MUST be certified.

Also turbo substitution should always be certed, so all those people driving around with VF22's on cars that didn't have them technically don't have a valid WoF nor valid insurance. Crazy huh...

You don't need a wof to claim insurance when in a crash, but if it turns out the item that caused the crashed was unwarrentable then this will void your insurance... Eg bald tyres... So can't see why a turbo/wastegate would stop you getting insurance? Well that's how my insurance company works anyway... (clic car insurance)

yup i carry my cert papers, mine has all sorts on the cert sheet ie larger topmount intercooler, modified bonnet scoop, wrx seats, removed subframe spacers, wrx steering rack..... all things that are oem off different model subarus but are noted so that i can't be pinged for any of it if a cop gets anal.

which makes me think my cert is probably void for changing back to a standard exhaust......

boon']

[quote name='Slidesector said:

The peice of paper just carry's notes (horriable handwriting to). It doesn't state anything other than single turbo sti engine. There is nothing about bigger turbo, type of ECU or anything like that as they didn't elaborate.

As long as it passed its brake test and passes all of the obvious tests he said it doesnt matter??

I understand about the insurance company as you have to state all of the modifications at the time and continue to update modifications as you do them, or they wont pay you anything.

Soon you will have to get type of tyres certified at this rate. It's a bit pathetic IMO.

The main reson for getting a CERT is to be LEGAL and legally modified, I didn't waiste 500 bucks for someone who doesnt even change his own tyres to tell me im naughty.

/quote]

The piece of paper is almost as important as the cert itself. Obviously they can't fit all the stuff on your cert plate so that's why they have the spec sheet. If your paperwork (and the official record) doesn't say LARGER TURBO then you're not certed for a larger turbo. Mine lists each item in categories, including brand and model if applicable. E.g. it says IHI VF34 Turbocharger, Cusco underbody brace, blah blah blah

Just because a certifier does a lot of certs doesn't mean they're doing them right or that they're worth a damn cent when Johnny Law comes knocking. If your cert paperwork said "External Wastegate" then you wouldn't have this problem in the first place. If it was enough to just have "EJ20 MOD." on the plate and you could do whatever you wanted then what would be the point in doing an inspection for the cert anyway, they may as well just send you it in the mail. Maybe you should go back to your certifier and get them to update the paperwork, because I'm damn sure that if I got pulled over and they questioned a single thing on the car I could prove it was certed and legal.

So if you buy a car with a cert your also fucked??!?

Realistically how is he spose to know everything done to the car?

Tubro says aftermarket, because it is. There is know way in hell anyone would know what turbo it is unless they talked to me. Thats as simple as that. I'm not going to carry a little peice of paper that states everything done to the car when I have a clean clear cut LVVA Certification that I payed for! Thats bullshit!

Soo technically why don't you need to provide that piece of paper when going for warrents?? Because it's loaded on the computer? and If so why can't they just check there system instead of making me carry paperwork.

Sounds like a load of shit IMO. Also sounds like 99% of people who buy there cars purchase illegally modified cars as they "don't have a peice of paper" (that happens to also be used for a remedy list). Hymmmmm

I got everything certed and most of its sqezzed on to the plate, it's not my falt LVVA cert plates are small, so it's not my issue really, I payed for legal and thats what I got.

He is the one of the two Certifiers in Hamilton and has certed 3 of my vechiles and a bunch of mates.

dude...you mad???

You are entirely missing the point. Whilst you rant above does make some valid points, how about you calm down and just carry the wee slip of paper in your glovebox so that in future you do not have any issues with po-po?

You drive a modified car and a cert/evidence of cert is part of the price we now need to pay.

Cheers

ODB said:

dude...you mad???

You are entirely missing the point. Whilst you rant above does make some valid points, how about you calm down and just carry the wee slip of paper in your glovebox so that in future you do not have any issues with po-po?

You drive a modified car and a cert/evidence of cert is part of the price we now need to pay.

Cheers

Well realistically yes I am very mad. Ive spend over 20K on a car to get told by a niglected child that its illegal.

I don't have the peice of paper, its probly in the bin. My point is that I shouldnt have to defend myself when I am abiding by the law in all aspects possible.

I do not disagree with you on this point.

How about you be the bigger man and go to your friendly local certifier(who you have already got a good relationship with) and have him make up some new paperwork for you. That way you wont have this issue again.

Ever heard the expression "trees that wont bend with the wind, won't last the storm" ?

It applies here.

• General Member

4632a3ad-b5b9-4493-8b5d-34e834170e37.jpg

CTFD

right

have you got greenie off yet?

yes or no

your car is supposedly not legal (whicj no on here doubts it isn't legal) : your picking on points that probably wont/don't matter in your current course of action

get greenie off, write letter

sip some cider

build a bridge

Slidesector said:

Had an awesome Friday night,

It consisted of a being pulled over (doing 50kms). Then being told the car is stupidly low (police opinion). After poping the bonnet and measuring the cert (on uneven ground like a tipical %^$&), I was told the hight is in but you are getting a green sticker anyway.

Whaatatatt!?! Why?!?!... Oh becasue you have a wastegate. Mate it's capped and wont open. This was followed by a I don't care. I thought police would have a bit more courtesy than this??? Then after being issued with a green sticker and a fine i was confined to a 50km top speed and ordered home... Great..

Now heres the funny bit-

My Ticket says "operating a vechile with no certification" - It's fully certified

The Green Sticker notice says "internally vented waistgate" - This is fully legal.

The police officer didn't give me my licence back and now I have to drop into the station to pick it up in my own time!!

I am writing a letter to get the charges dropped, and in this instance it will almost certainly end in a court hearing. I refuse to be wrongfully walked over by the New Zealand Police. Let along having to get ANOTHER VTNZ WOF!!! ( Now $100 )!!

dont think you are telling us the full story ;D :P...

gazzy2000']

It consisted of a being pulled over (doing 50kms). Then being told the car is stupidly low (police opinion). After poping the bonnet and measuring the cert (on uneven ground like a tipical %^$&), I was told the hight is in but you are getting a green sticker anyway.

Whaatatatt!?! Why?!?!... Oh becasue you have a wastegate. Mate it's capped and wont open. This was followed by a I don't care. I thought police would have a bit more courtesy than this??? Then after being issued with a green sticker and a fine i was confined to a 50km top speed and ordered home... Great..

Now heres the funny bit-

My Ticket says "operating a vechile with no certification" - It's fully certified

The Green Sticker notice says "internally vented waistgate" - This is fully legal.

The police officer didn't give me my licence back and now I have to drop into the station to pick it up in my own time!!

I am writing a letter to get the charges dropped, and in this instance it will almost certainly end in a court hearing. I refuse to be wrongfully walked over by the New Zealand Police. Let along having to get ANOTHER VTNZ WOF!!! ( Now $100 )!!

/quote]

lol i think his cars white bro ::)

ADIKT']

Now heres the funny bit-

/quote]

lol i think his cars white bro ::)

well it is now... dodgy! ;D :P

• Admin
 Slidesector said:

So if you buy a car with a cert your also f***ed??!?

Realistically how is he spose to know everything done to the car?

Tubro says aftermarket, because it is. There is know way in hell anyone would know what turbo it is unless they talked to me. Thats as simple as that. I'm not going to carry a little peice of paper that states everything done to the car when I have a clean clear cut LVVA Certification that I payed for! Thats bulls***!

Soo technically why don't you need to provide that piece of paper when going for warrents?? Because it's loaded on the computer? and If so why can't they just check there system instead of making me carry paperwork.

Sounds like a load of s*** IMO. Also sounds like 99% of people who buy there cars purchase illegally modified cars as they "don't have a peice of paper" (that happens to also be used for a remedy list). Hymmmmm

I got everything certed and most of its sqezzed on to the plate, it's not my falt LVVA cert plates are small, so it's not my issue really, I payed for legal and thats what I got.

He is the one of the two Certifiers in Hamilton and has certed 3 of my vechiles and a bunch of mates.

If you buy a car with a cert it should come with the bloody paperwork. Would you buy a car that had "fully forged internals bro, honest, 2.2 stroker kit, billet crank even" without seeing some receipts first?

If your cert doesn't say WASTEGATE and you cunningly threw the paperwork in the bin, don't complain when Mr. PoPo (even if he is being a prejudiced shitbag) doesn't believe you when you say it's legal. We make ourselves targets, that's just the unfortunate truth, and if you don't take precautions to protect yourself you're just asking for trouble. I mean yeah it sucks that the cops don't always know the law properly and make our lives difficult at times, but some of the responsibility does lie with us.

Oh, and the certifier is supposed to know EVERY SINGLE thing that's done to the car because you're supposed to tell him about every single thing that you've done to the car so he can check it's safe/done properly.

just read this.

too me thats prty gay

any wastegate thats plumd back to the exhaust is legal and DOES NOT require a cert-as long as its plumd back,iv have confirmed this with a certifyer thats in and out of my work.

write a letter to the cops explaing the situation,

include photos of your cert and also include photos of the watsegate plumdback

you shuld be fine

and before any one goes nuts

read the performace car mag recently,

it CLEARY states you dont need a cert AS LONG as its plumback.

this was written from nz police.

• Admin
 sti8u said:

just read this.

too me thats prty gay

any wastegate thats plumd back to the exhaust is legal and DOES NOT require a cert-as long as its plumd back,iv have confirmed this with a certifyer thats in and out of my work.

write a letter to the cops explaing the situation,

include photos of your cert and also include photos of the watsegate plumdback

you shuld be fine

and before any one goes nuts

read the performace car mag recently,

it CLEARY states you dont need a cert AS LONG as its plumback.

this was written from nz police.

Last time I looked at the LVVTA certification threshold it said ANY Turbo or Wastegate substitution must be certified.

Probably because turbo/gate swaps often = more boost which often = more power. Like more than the 20% engine power increase, at which point you MUST get a cert - I guess it becomes a safety thing because the have to make sure the brakes/suspension/whatever are up to the power.

nah mate never heard of that

i heard it from a certer aswell as performace car mag written by nz police,

aslong as its not ventd its leggal and doesnot require cert

mayb if you start doing twisted setups and shit.

Its really not hard to find the relevant information;

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf

Then scroll down to section 13-1 Engine & Drivetrain

"All turbocharger and/or wastegate substitutions require certification"

There's even a thread about it already

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,11947.msg171201.html#msg171201