Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Driving vehicle for the sole purpose of repair

boon

• Admin

Ok, so I've just finished the engine conversion on my Surf.

It's about 2 months out on the WoF and Rego (due to being off the road with no motor)

I need to get it about 500m from the workshop I did the conversion at to the place that's doing the exhaust.

This is the big part of the problem. Currently the exhaust ends at the end of the headers. It's really, really loud.

Legally, am I ok driving it to the exhaust place, seeing as I'm driving it there to repair the exhaust, so that I can get a WoF?

MercuryFree said:

You're allowed to drive it for the purposes of taking it 'for repair' to get it up to wof standard, 'if it's safe to do so'

I got a $400 fine for driving to my cert and wof place from fabricators as cop wouldn't believe it was booked in and wouldn't follow me there. Stupid thing it was pink stickers and remover 15 mins later ;D. Still passed off I got fine for unwarrentable as it was obviously warrentable as it passed less than an hour later.

• Admin
 MercuryFree said:

You're allowed to drive it for the purposes of taking it 'for repair' to get it up to wof standard, 'if it's safe to do so'

Yeah it's fully safe, it's just REAL loud. Like, couple of Harley's giving it shit off the line loud. As in, if a cop goes past me I'm gonna get stopped and have to be polite and nice.

• Admin
 JoKer said:

hope ya got it on exemption for rego, just cos it ran out does not mean you arent paying for it

Nah, I asked them and they said if it's off the road for less than 3 months I have to pay from the date it went off anyway.

It's probably a week or 2 from being legal tegal again so not gonna bother.

EDIT: Actually, I got a letter from them the other day about my failing to pay the rego on it, blah blah blah debt collection blah blah, surely they can look in their system and see that it doesn't have a bloody WOF so I can't get a rego for it anyway???

• General Member

dont matter : continuous rego system rules you

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/49/vehicle-licensing.html

What if I don't relicense in time? The person registered in respect of a motor vehicle is responsible for keeping that vehicle licensed.

If your motor vehicle is unlicensed, you'll be sent notices to remind you that you need to relicense it.

• Six weeks after your licence expires, you'll receive an overdue notice.
  • If you've still taken no action six months after the original licence or exemption expiry date, you'll receive a warning notice.

plus you say its been out of rego for two months? you have to back pay once you go to rego it ya know...

edit :

There is a minimum of three months for an exemption period. If you license your motor vehicle within the first three months of your exemption period, the licence will backdate to the expiry date of the previous licence, exemption, or notice of acquisition, whichever is the most recent.

ah I see what ya mean