Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Laser Jammers illegal

boon

• Admin

Just as a heads up, as I only found out about this recently...

As of May 2011, the following applies:

16B Interference with operation of speed measuring devices

Every person commits an offence who—

(a) uses in a motor vehicle any equipment that interferes with the operation of a speed measuring device:

(b) possesses in a motor vehicle any equipment that is designed to interfere with the operation of a speed measuring device.

The fine is $50 and 25 demerit points.

This includes both radar jammers, which have always been a bit illegal, and now includes laser jammers which were legal until this came along.

Note that if you have a hard-wired radar/laser detector, with the laser head down in your front bumper/grill, it is quite likely that if you're stopped, they will probably think it's a jammer and try to sting you for it.

As an amusing side note, because this law appears to be exceptionally poorly worded, if you sit on the roadside with a Ka band radar and a police car drives past, causing his Ka band radar to interfere with your speed measuring device, the police officer has in fact committed the above offence. The LTA binds the crown, blah blah etc.

• Admin
 newsuba said:

Laser jammers work in the field, it's radar jammers that are bunkum.

The Rocky Mountain Radar ones the size of a radar detector, yes, bunkum.

The watercooled multi-watt Ka band amplifier being driven by chained tripplers in turn being driven by a voltage-tuned variable gigahertz range oscillator, fed into a 24db horn... a different matter. Police radars mostly use a cavity-tuned Gunn diode, output in the range of 50-75mW, a couple of watts incoming generally makes them misbehave a bit. Especially when you run a 500hz sine wave up to the tuning pin of the oscillator, but let's not go there.

• Admin
 mondo said:

So does that mean if you park your car in front of either a camera van, or a copper using a hand held so you are blocking them you can be snapped?

No, this is specifically with regards to using "equipment" to interfere. Arguably your vehicle could be "equipment" but it's rather unlikely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

When we install the legitimate Laser Star "parking sensors" we add a kill switch. That way should they happen to interfere with police lasers, you can kill the power and that way the cops will get an accurate reading. In the interest of safety, we recommend you slow down before reaching for that kill switch.

25 demerit points when doing 150 KMs is better than what would happen without a jammer.

RapidRadio said:

When we install the legitimate Laser Star "parking sensors" we add a kill switch. That way should they happen to interfere with police lasers, you can kill the power and that way the cops will get an accurate reading. In the interest of safety, we recommend you slow down before reaching for that kill switch.

25 demerit points when doing 150 KMs is better than what would happen without a jammer.

Keep it legal ya muppets. in any case, 150 is instant disqual.