Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Hard to find First gear

Nick_96_RSB

So since yesterday have been having a bit of trouble engaging first gear, have to almost force it in, all other gears seem fine, just a pain in the ass when stopping at lights etc having to try shove it back in

is a 5 speed gearbox out of a 96 BD5b/c leggy

I don't launch etc, clutch is operational

could this just be from worn synchros?

fingers crossed, any advice appreciated otherwise time to start saving for a new box :(

any idea how much fluid I would need to buy to put back in it once its drained? Should I run that for a bit & do another flush a few weeks later? or how soon?

I'll need to get some local help due to not having anywhere to do any work on the car nor know wtf i'm doing when it comes to this stuff

I'm sure someone in Welly will know how to do it easy enough, otherwise probably off to rick

after looking on google, most suggest draining, refill with something cheap, take for gentle drive through all gears, empty & refill with something decent

the gearbox drives fine otherwise, no crunching/rattles etc its just finding 1st that has become a bit shit am off to palmy on thursday so fingers crossed it holds up

is pretty bad, just went to pick the missus up from work

went into gears fine with car off

once car running stiffened up, went to the servo on way back, had to reverse and it was crunching not wanting to go into gear

will go into 1st fine on occasion but for the most part it quite an effort, once rolling all good

have put up a FS thread in misc section to try either swap for or sell some gear to get another box to put in asap, i don't quite think a flush is going to cut is somehow :(

am heading to palmy on Thursday so need to try get it sorted asap!

I reckon you got some crap in there aye.

Its easy to drain. Theres a bung under the car on bottom of gear box. Undo that, drain. Then use the filler under the intercooler to refill. Try put some Moreys oil stabiliser in there with some Multitrax. Youll prob find thats half the problem.

If you dont have issues like it being notchy or clunky on down changes/up changes the gearbox itself is probably ok...just crap fluid.

Reverse Was Crunchy Last night at the servo, it just didn't want to pop into gear at all

some info i have found points to clutch others to gearbox

there is a guy on here with a box locally for $100 says its all good, was a spare in his lockup & no longer needed - so that could possibly be the easiest option right now

Have flicked Rick a text to see if he can diagnose for me, fingers crossed, i have about 48 hours to get it sorted

like joker said could be your clutch faliling making it hard to select a gear

or metal inside your box,a simple flush and re-oil and see how that goes,i wouldnt bother with the new grbox,

^Herp Derp

Rick also Reckons sounds like clutch, recommends bleeding it first before doing anything, just trying to find info on where the bleeding nipple is to give that a crack first

EDIT: i take it it is under the TMIC? anyone local keen to give me a hand for a box of beer? ive never taken it off so probably wont get it back on, i have some extra brake fluid just no skills in doing it or enough tools i imagine

JoKer said:

clutch could be failing : was a symptom I had when mine did.... hows reverse?

tis clutch! +1 joker, not releasing properly. Maybe you can let master cylinder travel back further. probably preloading clutch too...this will eventually cause slipping as the plate wears further.

Adjust master cylinder until you can only just engage reverse without crunch. Between 1 and 2 turns of the master cylinder push rod will do it.

You need a 6mm spanner...And a 12mm to undo locknut on pedal clamp.

yer is a pain in the arse, i don't really like having to force it into gear, is ok in all other gears while running, i'm pretty much resigned to ringing around workshops tomorrow see if anyone can do it short notice, fingers crossed :P

rather leave it to someone who knows what they are doing, i can eff it up for free, but will cost more in the long run lol

hopefully this will fix it for the meantime, then i can get the whole clutch setup looked at in a couple of weeks and find out what i need to replace

Nick_96_RSB said:

So since yesterday have been having a bit of trouble engaging first gear, have to almost force it in, all other gears seem fine, just a pain in the ass when stopping at lights etc having to try shove it back in

fingers crossed, any advice appreciated otherwise time to start saving for a new box :(

sometimes you just need a little lube

swiftbrad']

[quote name='Nick_96_RSB said:

/quote]

sometimes you just need a little lube

trollorstupid.jpg

when u say u have to force it - if you are in that situation and it wont engage - then all u do is let the clutch out in neutral (let the gearbox spin) then try again does it go in? thats normally synchro wear if thats the case

easy shift oil can help cure bad syncros to a degree

for one to think its a clutch you need to know how much free play do you have ? and when / where does the clutch grab when letting the pedal out

free play indicates how the master cylinder is adjusted - when the clutch grabs on the pedal stroke usually dictates how thick the clutch plate is