Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

going to the Drags tomoro

markw336

hi ive decieded that im going to enter the night speed drag wars in my legacy GTB (bg5) i can launch ok but have been tossing up about how to change into second (sounds odd here i know).

when you floor it in first its reving so fast that the secondary doesnt kick till about 6k RPM i want to know if you guys think its quicker to change to second gear at 4k RPM before change over and boost form there.

all in all its my first time so should be a bit of fun haha

• General Member

First time out I highly reccomend you experiment, try and nail your launch with the handbrake up so you can build some boost and see what works for you. First trick is getting off the line without letting the butterfly's get to you ha ha :)

I would probably run 1st out personally but I don't know a lot about the Twin turbo setup. My only experience is in a WRX.

haha im scared about breaking mine too. But ive got a good launch at the mo where i launch about 3k and ride the clutch a bit and it will rip off the line from 3k without jerking but i have done a couple of launches and the difference is so slight as it reving so fast you dont notice the no boost lol but really im only going up the strip for fun and to see what a factory manual gtb will do up the strip.

must admit is a little bit scary when you give it a good launch haha ive had it for 6 months and never nailed it off the line only when going

guess ill try both tomoro and see what the difference is my mate with another gtb bg5 is going to so should be fun

• General Member

Try holding the handbrake up and letting your foot off the clutch a little so you take up the pressure and build boost. Then you slide your foot off of the clutch (I normally let the clutch slip a little) drop the handbrake and plant boot all at once.

It takes a little juggling but it gives you a good launch. You might want to do what you know at first if you haven't been doing it that way.

Get staged. Handbrake on with left hand ready to drop it. Revs to 6k hold it there clutch on the point its biting. Drop hand brake stand on gas as hard as you can TORQUE redline (which isnt redline itll be when you car runs out of puff...probably 6k) - second TORQUE redline- third keep going.

Thats how i do it anyway.

Swindog said:

Get staged. Handbrake on with left hand ready to drop it. Revs to 6k hold it there clutch on the point its biting. Drop hand brake stand on gas as hard as you can TORQUE redline (which isnt redline itll be when you car runs out of puff...probably 6k) - second TORQUE redline- third keep going.

Thats of no help in a twin turbo though, they make their only power between 5-7000rpm... Torque isn't much lower either. So if you change low, you change right out of the torque band and on the wrong turbo.

Also, they don't like having the revs dropped from that high, as they are much heavier than a WRX and don't have a much stronger clutch, so will most likely smoke a bit and bog.

Again, this is only in my experience in 5 years of BG5 ownership and 20+ motorsport events in it. Your one might be better than mine and actually do ok at drag racing markw336...?

Edit: Swindog - this is an example of the power/torque curve in a twin turbo:

GTBdynoplot-power.jpg

Munkvy']

[quote name='Swindog said:

/quote]

Thats of no help in a twin turbo though, they make their only power between 5-7000rpm... Torque isn't much lower either. So if you change low, you change right out of the torque band and on the wrong turbo.

Also, they don't like having the revs dropped from that high, as they are much heavier than a WRX and don't have a much stronger clutch, so will most likely smoke a bit and bog.

Again, this is only in my experience in 5 years of BG5 ownership and 20+ motorsport events in it. Your one might be better than mine and actually do ok at drag racing markw336...?

Edit: Swindog - this is an example of the power/torque curve in a twin turbo:

GTBdynoplot-power.jpg

A twin turbo mx5? lol

5k ish launch. Drop the clutch like you hate it to make sure the wheels spin. Last thing you want is to bog down. The. Use clutch to feather back to traction before hooking second. The key is to keep your right foot flat the whole time. Do not lift when changing gears.

TURTLE said:

5k ish launch. Drop the clutch like you hate it to make sure the wheels spin. Last thing you want is to bog down. The. Use clutch to feather back to traction before hooking second. The key is to keep your right foot flat the whole time. Do not lift when changing gears.

Every tried the above formula with a viscous center subbie? Im gatthering thats your preferred formula for the R when you had it - what dccd did you set, what was the fastest for launching?

Funky. You use too many words I don't understand. Viscous blah blah no idea.

Best 60ft was a 1.6 or something. Full lock. -8psi on rear. Normal on front.

Another tip is to shallow stage. So that you already are moving when you cross the beams. Crawl slowly into the lights and then stop as soon as the light goes out. You have approx 300mm to play with.

viscous center is what the plebs have in normal STIs, DCCD is where its at*

was trying for a comparision - i've done the swap in the same car and it has very different behavior when hammered.

Thanks for your technique - i know mine howls launching with full lock also - wondered if you full locked or not.

*sarcasm.

• 1 month later...

last friday i managed to get it down to a 16.6 think my boost has gone down a bit since i first brought the car and before i went to the drags in it so im going to get a cheap boost tap for the next night sometime in june apprently. also im going to make a cold air intake with duct and try to get a low 16 or late 15

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So ive decided to take the old sti ra to the drags at ruapuna tomorrow, how do you think it should hold up to launching it? Are the RA gearboxes ment to be pritty strong or should i not risk it? Ive had a bit of a read on how to launch so have a good idea on what to do, or should i just try nana it off the line for a start and see how it fears from than?

Im shore most of these questions have been answered before, but im more looking at a model specific answer if you know what i mean :)

Johnnynz said:

IMO No point going to the drags and nanaing it mate. In with both feet and if it breaks fix it. Second hand boxes arent to expensive.

I agree. If you are taking the car to the drags, you may as well race it properly... Limiter launch and see what happens, then adjust revs to suit how it goes - ie drop them down a bit from the limiter until you get a good compromise between wheelspin and acceleration.

As for Legacys - what generation are you talking? My BG5 completely stock I managed 14.0 - but that did take about 15 launches to get it to launch well enough that it wasn't a complete snail off the line. Twin turbos are not designed for drag racing unfortunately.

I only ever raced my BC5 when it had just filter and exhaust and did a best of 13.8. I would imagine with more mods you should be able to get a BC5 into the low 13s easily, and lower still with a good ecu and tune on something like a TD05 or VF22/23 etc.

Of course you have to remember all turbo 4WD vehicles will eventually break their gearboxes if you launch them enough. So drag racing is just another way of shortening the lifespan of your cars components.