Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V7 WRX Engine Cut Out....

Hey all, wondering if anyone has had the problem with the V7 WRX STi when you have put a Trust 3" exhaust system and Greddy Downpipe , that when you put your foot down in 4th gear it boosts and then cuts out all of a sudden for a second? Is that the ECU cutting in to say its overboosting?

If so , has anyone fixed this somehow?

Cheers in advance!

Would suggest installing a Boost gauge at least to see what the engine/turbo is doing.. then a boost controller (Manaul or Electronic) to stop it from happening.

If its boost cut.. its your ecu stoping bad stuff happening.. thus you'l want to do something to remedy the problem long term.

With a free flowing exhuast they do tend to spike like that.

Yea ive got a boost gauge and its boosting up to 1.5 Bar wen its overboosting.... Though i found today that if I slowly bring on the boost it doesnt over boost like it does when you drop to 4th and put your foot down??

Also FUNKYTOWN I have tried that method of puttin in a manual boost controller and it does still not fix the problem......

Any thoughts? im trying to stay away from having to get an external!

I would suggest an EBC, they work alot better than an MBC mate..

for a stock turbo a external waste gate shouldnt be needed? but you never know.

1.5bar is probably well beyond safe limits for stock engine and turbo. (has a VF30 right)?

also rather obvious but you will get boost creep with an M or EBC in the cold(night time usually).

IMHO, for the price of a good Japanese boost controller you can add a few hundred $'s more and get it tuned. This will solve all your problems and give your more power as well.

Definetely no need for an external wastegate on the stock turbo.

Alternatively, can can get an OBD2 cable and tune it yourself, this option is much cheaper than an EBC but will get very expensive if you break something.

On a side note, I remember seeing a guy offering tunes for a V7 for $250 on TradeMe. Don't know how reliable he is though.

funkytown said:

Wasnt aware you could flash and re-tune a V7? is this the same process as a V8+ reflash?

you can put a V8 ecu into a V7 and reflash from what i did understand.

I have personally flashed a 2001 and 2002 V7, same process as the V8/9/10 etc.

Hey mate how'd you go with this? My V7 STI is doing the same thing. :(

Have got an HKS EBC, maybe it's not set properly. Have noticed my wastegate line popped off so put that back on. But, it just started doing it again today.

funkytown said:

sweet! good to know.. Simon C was talking about doing his down here in wellies.. but we werent sure if you could on a version 7 or not!

Thanks

You can actually reflash version 6 upwards STI's with ECUtek.

Guest DMSREX

Ecutek is available from version 5's onwards overseas. Last time i checked no one in NZ had the software to do either 5 or 6s though. Ther earliest was for version 7's here. It may have changed since i looked a couple of years ago.

Have booked it in at Gary Capper Performance in Pukekohe for tommorow to be looked at. Many things that could be done to stop this. Was driving last night in the cold weather ( 2 Degrees ) and saw my boost guage go past 1.5 Bar!!! So backed right off and are taking it it tommorow to have a look.

Will let you guys know the outcome!

pappu said:

get a nice electronic boostcontroller - betst thing u can do.. :)

yea its overboosting - do u have a boost gauge?

i think boost cut is like 24psi or so?

That might explain the little cut out i had recently...Peak recall on the defi now reads 1.7bar... :o

Hey all,

Got it all looked at at Gary Capper Performance In Pukekohe. Was a muck up with the previous owner who wired in the boost controller ( budget boost controller aswel ) the wrong way and left the factory solinoids connect up to the mix aswel.

So to resolve the problem of the high overboosting Gary re did the vaccum lines , and put in a brand new TurboSmart Boost Tap. He also discconected the factory solinoids ( no idea why they would have been kept hitched up with the boost controller installed in the first place ??? ) and It all seems to run fine now.

It does spike in boost in 4th , 5th and 6th gear but only to 1.4 at the highest. At present ive got it set on around 1.3 bar.