Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Technical question about bottom mounted turbo set up and other crazy things

funkytown']

will just use tuned extractors with twisted turbo and choped inty to put pipes thru gaps at sides of radiators im going to create also going 2.5 for more torque

what does this even say in english? im assuming a normal twisted set up like we run with upside down FMIC under the headlights???

if thats the case then..

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like..............................

[quote name='D-Style said:

With that setup up, exhaust plusing would damage the turbo.

/quote]

why?

like I said before. Exhaust plusing would cause a hammering effect on the turbine blades. With turbo being so close to the ports it would more than likely amplify this.

Have a look around the interwebz for people that have done turbo coversions on 1 & 2 cyclinder motorbike engines and see what sort of problems they have run into.

How to fix this? custom build an manifold to bring the turbos further away form the exhaust ports, add a cross over pipe between two manifolds.

D-Style']

[quote name='LinkemSuby said:

will just use tuned extractors with twisted turbo and b]choped inty to put pipes thru gaps at sides of radiators im going to create[/b] also going 2.5 for more torque

what does this even say in english? im assuming a normal twisted set up like we run with upside down FMIC under the headlights???

if thats the case then..

so what this means is im going to be using thicker radiator thats not as wide so when it sits in the factory position there are two gaps ether side of it. then im going to get my fromt mount and flip it upside down and cut off the intake and exit pipes and face them backwards with a slight angle up. ill then run my intercooler pipeing through the gaps i have created to the intercooler and from the intercooler to a front faceing intake manifold. to stop air geting through the gaps and averting the radiator ill fold some alloy plate and fit it ether side to funnel air to were its needed

Sorry... I wrote it how i think.. very fast without worrying that other people cannot understand it :S

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like..............................

D-Style said:

With that setup up, exhaust plusing would damage the turbo.

why?

like I said before. Exhaust plusing would cause a hammering effect on the turbine blades. With turbo being so close to the ports it would more than likely amplify this.

Have a look around the interwebz for people that have done turbo coversions on 1 & 2 cyclinder motorbike engines and see what sort of problems they have run into.

How to fix this? custom build an manifold to bring the turbos further away form the exhaust ports, add a cross over pipe between two manifolds.

so even with the turbo setup in the front center of the motor it would have this issue? from the ports the exhaust gasses are going to have like 400ish mm of piping to go through before it gets to the turbo. im sure if this was a issue then sr20 dets and evos and also turbo honders ect will be blowing turbos day in and day out from this as my extractors i had pland to make would be the same length as theirs

oh do you guys think im running the twin turbo setup that joker put up at the start? that was just an image he showed me. i was wanting to run a single turbo at the front bottom center so all 4 pipes will be feeding one turbo... does that change anything lol

• Admin
 D-Style said:

Yeah.... na. If this was the case, twinscrolls on 4 cylinder motors with short headers (i.e. Evos) wouldn't work. But they do.

Marky said:

I can't see removing a couple of inches of pipe making that much noticable difference to response - maybe just chuck an sr20 in it, would be cheaper, less hassle and way more dorifto spec (and less gearbox hungry)

after the mods have been done i.e bottom mount turbo + radiator mods + FMIC chop and change and front faceing plenuim, i would have removed about 800mm (31 inches) from the exhaust side and removed the colideing of the exaust gasses due to subaru extractors not being well flowed and also removed about 1.5meters (59 inches) if not more from the intercooler piping as from the turbo to the intercooler, the pipe will only be about 200mm (7 inches) and from intercooler to the throttle body will be about 1meter. would make a good difference i think and look cool + im all about being somewhat different ;D im sure a sr20det would be a bigger hassle :o :-X

i do all my work myself and its fun ;D ;D ;D

hmm yea would be a mish to get a cert but 100mm back looks good instead of 60mm ;D . Funky thats a good idea ill have to work that into it as i cannot for the life of me find a small electric oil pump =( Thease are all realy good ideas and it looks better finished than i thought. The hate evo one looks hell sick like that, may have to have a talk to the guys that will be certing it and see what ill have to do to make it legal with motor further back maby and yea those headers are what im trying to make B4 2000 but higher like Funkytown said. Are there any issues with puting the radiator just behind the intercooler out the front of the car?

just another crazy thought kinda want to keep the flat standard bonnet :-X

• 1 month later...