Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What car oil should I use?

Aaendewy

reaperblitz said:

Random^

I'm not really a fan of 5w 30. Seen that stuff shear and it ain't pretty to think that it's supposed to be somewhat the blood of an engine. Heard many engines tick over quite noisily too. Good for small tolerances (I.e new vehicles) I just don't get why we are moving away from "the old days" which viscous oil wasn't such a bad thing.

10w30, 40, 50

Lol what's wrong with 20w 50 :P

20w 50 goes into my nissan with 410ks on the clock, ;D

• 1 month later...

My car happily runs on 5w30 no engine noise or anything, but has done less than 20,000k\'s on a rebuild on a plus 100,000k\'s car I would step up to a 10w40 but only if it was using oil. It\'s a tricky one everyone has there own opinion on oil types and thickness etc.

On a side note, I\'ve seen magnatec do some strange things to Subaru motors. Had a car that was getting serviced by Subaru running 5w30 and the owner changed it to Magantec pretty much straight after the service started to burn oil really bad. Ended up getting the motor stripped down and the bores were all glazed up.

Could have been something completely unrelated, but the motor didn\'t have high k\'s, and wasn\'t over-heated or anything like that.

I\'ve done a bit of work at Subaru dealer, they use 5w 30 in the new stuff (up to 5 years old i think) and i do believe its motul for the flash stuff (STI\'s,WRX\'s) and just castrol for you normal non turbo stuff. Anything older than that gets 10w/30 magnatec professional or total lubricants 10w/40 for your express service. (Diesels always get the 5w/30 if anyones interested :D)

In saying that i still put 10w/40 in my leggy and Penrite 10w/50 in the WRX.

I use the 10w 45 hks oil you get from redline. Not too hard on the wallet like motility but still decent. Comes in 4l too unfortunately but buying a few they do some deals for the club sub fellows

10 w40 magnatec is an all rounder, great on most applications

ran shell 5w30 in my first bc because the bottle had the ferrari symbol on it ;D (i was 17) ended up blowing bottom end bearing, was definately the oil that made it go, had nothing to do with running 20psi daily on stock internals :D (yes, looking back i shake my head at myself)

I sell oil for a living at a retail shop so have been trained for 2 and a half years on the annoying shit

ok first check this out http://www.lnengineering.com/oiltest.pd bit old but gives you an idea on the brands that are good and what to stay away from basically go for penrite or royal purple!!

there are ratings called api ratings basically these go in alphabetical order from SA(doesn\'t exist anymore) to SN(best quality avalible as far as I know. (there is a acea rating which is a European rating I just don\'t understand it at this point in time)

The api rating goes in alphabetical order for the second letter from worst to best sa being the worst(model t ford oil) SN (current rating two years out atm)

basically anything that meets API rating of SN is good oil

SECOND IMPORTANT RATING is the viscosity or thickness of the oil which is the 10W 40 or whatever

Viscosity is a measure of thickness heres a wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity

basically W stands for winter so thickness of oil at low temperature second number stands for how much it retains it\'s thickness (oil thins out as temperature rises)

IF YOU WANT GOOD DAILY DRIVER OIL AND YOUR UNDER 200K in your turbo subaru and it doesn\'t smoke 10w 50 Full syn penrite

if over this point I RECOMMEND 15W 60 FULL SYN PENRITE

ALWAYS USE FULL SYN IN SUBARU\'S DON\'T CARE WHAT ANY MECHANIC SAYS THEY RUN TEN TIMES BETTER ON THE STUFF

bottle\'s of penrite sell for 60 to 70 dollars retail for 5 litres

GUESS WHAT GUYS, I have an incentive at work atm for shell helix (screw that... shitty oil)

I may not be 100 percent correct but I\'m close to it I use 10w 50 penrite in my own TT Legacy

thanks for reading

If I had a 94 legy which Im guessing wouldve done over 150,000km I would be using a semi, clearances change with use. We deal with mechanics who get inside engines and work on cars not just do oil changes. Books can only teach you so much.

Valvoline synpower 5w-40w, its on special at repco till sunday, at $55 5L cant beat that.I\'ve used it for the the last 50,000km at 5000km changes with no problems at all.I used to use castrol edge 5w-30w which used to burn a little between changes ( about 1L), valvoline does not burn a drop.

mondo said:

Valvoline synpower 5w-40w, its on special at repco till sunday, at $55 5L cant beat that.I\'ve used it for the the last 50,000km at 5000km changes with no problems at all.I used to use castrol edge 5w-30w which used to burn a little between changes ( about 1L), valvoline does not burn a drop.

Thank you! Due for an oil change and I use this oil.