Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Android powered ICE

aim

Right so I've got a thread over at AMNZ but I've been asked to post it up here. So here we go;

Here's the original thread;

http://www.androidmobile.co.nz/forum/8-technical/5188-androided-in-car-entertainment-thoughts

I've decided to build a Android powered 'headunit'. Here's the car;

z4BQ9l.jpg

Here's the tablet I'm going to be using;

fFcOV.jpg

Amp, Wiring Harness, transformer (+ fuse)

40qJM.jpg

The first interface;

RVPbel.jpg

Test fitting;

oWjM5l.jpg

Here is the power supply wired to the rear of the cigarette lighter - the PCB is tac'd to the dash surround with just a tab or two of hot glue :)

uVmmpl.jpg

Wiring partially done!

Components for volume knob;

XeTadl.jpg

Pentiometer wiring;

zYltvl.jpg

Fuse/powersupply assembly, spring cut in half for the harness, and heat shrink for the case.

g2aBFl.jpg

Qezegl.jpg

Testing it in the actual car;

hNDSLl.jpg

Here it is test fitted - very temporary - might stay like this until after easter.

3LBP5l.jpg

Here's a video;

^^ at the end it never found my GPS location as I was in the garage - which has a whole other storey above it.

$350US, haha that's probably cheaper than what I've spent lol... But I think you guys are missing the point of a project lol.

Inputs will be 3.5mm and Bluetooth. It's already got 20gb of music so I shouldn't need much more.

• 4 months later...

Screeech, skid, bang, BOOM!

Police officer: So tell me son, how come you lost control of the vehicle on a straight bit of road?

Reply: Ah, cos I was trying my best to kill that last fucking pig. No wait. wait wait, that\'s not what I meant...............................................

ROFL!

• 4 weeks later...
 ODB said:

Am trying to jack up parts to do this with an old ipad when I get back.

I will put it vertically though as it fits the GTB "control panel surround" perfectly.

Will have to relocate heater controls but all G.

exactly like the MCM one? i want to do the same.. but i dunooo

ADIKT']

[quote name='ODB said:

Am trying to jack up parts to do this with an old ipad when I get back.

I will put it vertically though as it fits the GTB "control panel surround" perfectly.

Will have to relocate heater controls but all G.

/quote]

exactly like the MCM one? i want to do the same.. but i dunooo

Yessir.

Exactly like that setup. Might actually get a mate to do it who does installs for a living

Did you run a 4 channel amp for your speakers Aim?

I would like to add a sub at same time to mine. Normally I\'d run rears off factory head unit and bridge for sub but this isn\'t possible with this kinda setup.

Don\'t want to go 5 channel amp as that means can\'t pick up one for nix

ADIKT']

[quote name='dacerx said:

got all my gear to go in just need to get my tablet sorted and away it goes. i am using the nexus tablet only issue is that you cant put in sd cards for more storage

/quote]Are you putting it into a standard double din?

Nope i have other plan completely

ODB said:

Did you run a 4 channel amp for your speakers Aim?

I would like to add a sub at same time to mine. Normally I\'d run rears off factory head unit and bridge for sub but this isn\'t possible with this kinda setup.

Don\'t want to go 5 channel amp as that means can\'t pick up one for nix

How I ran the speekars in the RX was a 4 channel amp , 2 to the front and the other 2 bridged running the sub :)

now more stealth no sub and just some good fronts being run from a higher capacity amp :)

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good dacerx

I\'ve done mine pretty much the same

I\'m using tasker to control screen on/off etc to coincide with power on/off

8462393697_4f8d21d404_z.jpg

Running car launcher

8555821385_6951798f23_z.jpg

Picture of how I\'ve relocated clock and temparature display

8556931390_016b0b58d8_z.jpg

And displaying RPM, Volts, AFR and Boost - using a bluetooth OBD II adapter sending data as SSM to ECU Tracker

8556930894_6149467b3e_z.jpg