Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Air Intake temps

Stoffa

For those of you running g3/4's links with intake temp sensors, what temps do you normally see....

a. when driving normally on the street, around town and on the motorways?

b. when your giving it heaps either in the track or a "closed private road"?

also what intercooler set up are you running.

just got my datalogging set up last night but out on the motorway intake temps were around 20 deg C, but I'll be doing a bit of logging, I run a FMIC but wanting to try going to a v7 tmic for the response.

I used to see 3-5 over ambient when cruise and od squirt, when boosting St 30+ psi it did used to climb to 45 ish on fmic. On a top mount v7 sti make sure you run a big scoop as with small scoop we were seeing 120 degrees at 25psi boost on td06. With bigger scoop and top mount it dropped to 60 degrees. On rally car at 21psi always on boost with antilag we see 60 degrees with v8 sti scoop and top mount.

I'm mid 20's at taupo giving it a beating, ambiant is quite cold though. Even going slow ie warm up lap the intake temp is around the 20mark, not much difference for me between raping it and going slow, just if i sit still it can get up to 70.....

I run v7 tmic and big scoop, and i'm looking at rewiring the intercooler sprayer to work again to see what effect it has

*edit* checked the log i have on the work laptop, peaked at 30c at hampton downs. Otherwise was mid 20c.

I *think* qrafs one was madeby the same guy who made mine on my forester, they may or may not have combined into mike shaw fibreglass???

The gunuine ones take a bit of modifying from what ive seen on the net. If your good wi fibreglass and bog it might be worth your time modifying one.

Stoffa said:

Do they fit with a little modification ?

Stoffa said:

flogging a dead cat buddy hahaha, btw have you seen the PWR set up, similar to yours but a properly designed intercooler so the cores run in the opposite direction

Yes have seen the PWR one and had one quoted...$1800... That is just the top mount bit.

Properly designed?????

Well i guess there are opinions on that!!..Water flow in mine is opposite to airflow!

I do know mine works extremely well for the ROAD car application.

With only a 6 deg rise over ambient on cruise.

Normal overtake is usually no more than say around 40 seconds...This increases the IAT to around 8-9 deg above ambient at 20 psi boost.

So the design is "not bad"

And for less than a grand installed WITH pump,front radiator,piping..etc. A pretty good price too.

Even Paul Manuell agreed that i had a good design! (Eastern automotive) Sole agent for PWR.

LMFAO!

I guess my FMIC works quite well, was logging on my way to work this morning over the haywards and IAT was sitting around 15-16degC the highest it got to was 19degC that was with a few 2 to 4 100%TPS pulls.

It was 5.30am and probably about 8-10 deg outside

Stoffa said:

I guess my FMIC works quite well, was logging on my way to work this morning over the haywards and IAT was sitting around 15-16degC the highest it got to was 19degC that was with a few 2 to 4 100%TPS pulls.

It was 5.30am and probably about 8-10 deg outside

Wonder if its intercooler related hdi pride themselves on quality. Think I read somewhere you had hdi.

My drive home yesterday it was about 13deg outside and intake temps on the motorway temps were about 22-24deg, once in the burbs got up to about 29 deg, all with nana driving.

this may not be very interesting but I want this info posted here so when I change to a TMIC I can compare.

That dead horse has been flogged harder than... I dunno, an overly flogged thing

Kinda off topic but I did a heap of temp watching with my mitsi's and found even with just a stock evo 4-5-6 cooler it'd be lucky to ever get over maybe 35-40deg, and that'd be fanging it right after sitting in traffic or staging lanes on a stinking hot day.

Going to a big bar & plate job changed nothing in terms of temperature drop but did enhance BOV flutter hahaha

Seeing what I get in traffic with a top mount is just mental in comparison, with some airflow they work very well but the heat soak at low speeds is unreal, which I guess is the real issue - with some air over them on the dyno / track / road they're great but it's the daily commuting etc where things get ugly.

I find it interesting for sure - the internet is horrific for getting a heap of folks who haven't tried something bad-mouthing that something, nice to see someone taking a methodical approach to things

Would be hard case to see the other side of the story as well - take some vids of how quick spool up is at a given speed / rpm so you can see if there's any genuine change in response on the road

I have been doing alot of logging and I'll be able to spot the better response a mile off as im hitting 1.4 bar at 4000rpm at the moment.

Im lucky enough to work hours where I dont get stuck in traffic...ever!! haha

and yes soopersubaru it does look like your setup works better than a my fmic in this situation, but Im still not gonna use that set up. If its good enough for suabru to make them with top mounts its good enough fo rthe toned down version of my current setup.

as it is my car uses so much fuel I never use the high boost on the street, and ive seen cars with alot less power do some pretty quick lap times, running almost a stock setup.

I have a feeling I probably wont ever stop modifying my car so will probably end up having a play with water injection on the tmic anyway.

Stoffa...Make sure you do use the spray on the TMIC..Then it will provide the same results as your FMIC..

Now if you set a spray on the FMIC. You will see a noticeable cooling effect on what you have now.

Cooler air better for economy too. Although cruising around under vacuum is probably the best of all...Lol.

These trials i have done....My system now also has a front spray too!(triggers on at 10psi)

I certainly would NOT run a TMIC without spray! Risk of hi temps and det! (short for deth!)