Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What mods for around 300kw at the wheels for a 2003 STI

subnoob123

funkytown said:

so genuine question to OP

1) why do you particularly want 300? (why not 250 or even something silly like 400?)?

2) have you ACTUALLY been in a 300wheel car? or personally driven one in anger to validate q1 above?

in my own experience in 3 x 300kw cars you have a usable 2nd gear and then you\'re in illegal territory. so spending 30k for 2nd gear pulls on the public road is an expensive way to go. Yes it will have a power band a bit to the right hand side so its not going to be overly responsive.

From the results ive seen in the current Garrett range, for street driving i believe the gtx2863 would be a real screamer. couple that with either or AVCS and twinscroll and it would be like a vf34 on steroids. this would give an awesome power band with great area under the curve in a usable band on the street - and closer to 260 than 300wkw.

Ive seen american dynos comparing td05 16g with gt28rs I could probably paste some up if i can find them. 16g seemed better everywhere. I dont know myself just what the graph said. Your explanation good sir?

Have driven everything from a stock Single turbo RS to H8EVO when it was making 350KW atw.

I would say the ideal amount of power is probably around 200-240kw atw in a REALLY responsive package. Get spool happening from 3k (under 3k if possible), full boost from 4k and then scream right up to the 8k redline.

Its really the perfect package in a small sedan like a evo or sti but thats just my opinion.

lunchie said:

Have driven everything from a stock Single turbo RS to H8EVO when it was making 350KW atw.

I would say the ideal amount of power is probably around 200-240kw atw in a REALLY responsive package. Get spool happening from 3k (under 3k if possible), full boost from 4k and then scream right up to the 8k redline.

Its really the perfect package in a small sedan like a evo or sti but thats just my opinion.

gotasuby had it all...in a big ass wagon not a stumpy un.

evowrx']

[quote name='lunchie said:

I dont understand you are b]liking[/b] or not liking ?

Always was a fan of the bg shape and sleeper is gold. Sounded like big boost came on like a storm down low.

full boost before 3k and was running 33psi boost at trackday on av gas. And 27 psi on 95 every other day. With meth injection.

Was great for open road, leave it in 6th and get full boost and able to pass. Was dangerous to licence though.

evowrx']

[quote name='funkytown said:

so genuine question to OP

1) why do you particularly want 300? (why not 250 or even something silly like 400?)?

2) have you ACTUALLY been in a 300wheel car? or personally driven one in anger to validate q1 above?

in my own experience in 3 x 300kw cars you have a usable 2nd gear and then you\'re in illegal territory. so spending 30k for 2nd gear pulls on the public road is an expensive way to go. Yes it will have a power band a bit to the right hand side so its not going to be overly responsive.

From the results ive seen in the current Garrett range, for street driving i believe the gtx2863 would be a real screamer. couple that with either or AVCS and twinscroll and it would be like a vf34 on steroids. this would give an awesome power band with great area under the curve in a usable band on the street - and closer to 260 than 300wkw.

/quote]

Ive seen american dynos comparing td05 16g with gt28rs I could probably paste some up if i can find them. 16g seemed better everywhere. I dont know myself just what the graph said. Your explanation good sir?

GT28RS is supposed to be smaller turbo than the GTX range GTX2863 isn\'t it?

One of the cars at RDL recently made 270kw on a GT2871R (on a 2.35L motor) and made over 220kw from 4k rpm upwards. Good solid powerband!

the gtx 2863 is garrett gtx range yes. they have done away with the gt2860 (gt28rs) and the gt2871 and replaced with 2863. from what ive read and i mean genuine garrett catalogue- not offshoot brands using their cores.

from reports its has gt28rs response with the 71 top end. so would assume more power and response than that build koom

gt28rs a.k.a the disco potato a.k.a gt2860

funkytown said:

from reports its has gt28rs response with the 71 top end. so would assume more power and response than that build koom

We have been trying to convince the owner to upgrade to something a bit more modern ;D

I think that turbo has lasted through two versions of that motor aswell! (all with the use of antilag)

GC8E2DD']

[quote name='Koom said:

2.35L motor/quote]

stroker, or magical de-stroker? mmm, de-stroker ...

De-stroker. Originally was a Crawford motor from the states but Tony has since rebuilt it once he took over running RDL. The smaller turbo was due to it usually running a restrictor so it only ever made 220kw. Its just in the new car they decided to also have an unrestricted tune for certain events.

Koom said:
One of the cars at RDL recently made 270kw on a GT2871R (on a 2.35L motor) and made over 220kw from 4k rpm upwards. Good solid powerband!

if you\'re talking @ 4wheel power, is that running 30+ psi @ 4k? i\'ve looked at more dyno plots of torque oriented setups than I care to admit, and the only things i\'ve seen close to that, use a restrictor and severly dies in power after that let alone climb some to 270kw.

funkytown said:

it was a BG5A wagon, road tuned so no actuals but had a twinscroll HXxx (something largeish) strapped to a 2.5 and was torquey down low and made good power up top.

thus seen to \'have it all\'.

what wagon? are you refering to what I was in?

sultan']

[quote name='Koom said:

/quote]

if you\'re talking @ 4wheel power, is that running 30+ psi @ 4k? i\'ve looked at more dyno plots of torque oriented setups than I care to admit, and the only things i\'ve seen close to that, use a restrictor and severly dies in power after that let alone climb some to 270kw.

No its not quite up over 30psi as it doesn\'t need it. It is built as a restrictor motor (I have not been told what compression ratio its running) but the headwork and cams are biased towards bottom end efficiency as far as I\'m aware. In its usual guise it does the same as you said i.e. power stays dead flat from about 4k and the torque just drops off a cliff. But without the restrictor, there was enough breathing capacity in it to make another 50kw using another 3k or so rpm. So obviously the torque is still rapidly dropping off, just not as much as when you cut off its breathing capacity with a 34mm inlet.

The restrictor doesn\'t help make power down at 4k rpm, but make it much more beneficial to make the bulk of your torque before 4k rpm, so the engine is built with that bias in mind.

They are just a nice shapely intake to the turbo on the atmospheric pressure side. A nice open, clean inlet i.e. bellmouth or correctly sized pipework, to the turbo will do the same thing for power/torque/airflow.

We did have one car running a Possumlink that was pretty much freeboosted below 4k rpm as when the boost increased, it would quickly pass the point where the restrictor prevented it from sucking in any more air, therefore the boost would stop climbing as the "air pump" (i.e. engine) was choked at that point. Theory worked ok until one stage with thick gravel and a tight uphill corner where it managed to load up and stay loaded below the choke point and the boost needle almost fell off the end of the guage.