Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What model legacy do I have?

bmc

This has been covered before, but not clearly in one post I think i.e I have picked up info from a number of archive threads, but are still confused.

I have purchase 1996/1997 Subaru Legacy GTB Limited - well at least I think I have.....

From reading older posts I am confused.

Apparently there is a GT-B and a GTB?

1)

a) GT-B is a Legacy GT with the bilstein suspension added on from factory, but no other extras?

b) The GT-B engine is a EJ20H which is in all BG GT legacys?

2)

a) The GTB is different to the GT-B which technically is an "optioned" GT.

b) The GTB comes standard with the bilstein suspension, bigger brakes, and wheels and the EJ20H (automatic) and EJ20R put out more power that the the GT or GT-B EJ20 engine due to a number of tweaks?

3)

Where does the GTB Limited fit in - and what is the difference and to the above?

Anyway - as you can see I am rather confused and now have no idea if I have GTB or GT-B or GTB Limited!

I have tried to work this out by reading the forum, but I just get more confused as I try to piece multiple posts together to get my answer. ;D

Details on my car:

1996 Legacy GTB Limited

Build date is 1996, but car is registered as 1997 as this was the year it was first registered in Japan.

Automatic

GTB mag wheels

Bilstein suspension

Sport type seats

Momo factory steering wheel

GTB Limited front bumper ( does this mean it\'s a GTB Limited?)

Purple AFM

Smooth plastic "Twin Turbo Stage 2" rocker cover

Was not sure where to look for injection

Body codes:

E-BG5

BG5BSCP

Option Code AAC

EJ20HDXCJE

Can someone please help with confirm if I own a GT-B,GTB or a GTB Limited and what the engine power is from factory along with what makes it different between the other options.

Here some pics if they help:

viewerp.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The 93-96 TT models (BG5A) featured the EJ20H (260hp) in both auto and manual. Some were fitted with bilsteins most weren\'t. I don\'t think their was an official GT-B model.

In 96 came the facelifted model (BG5B) which received a new look front bumper, projector headlights, 17\'\' alloys, tinted tail lights, better interior etc. The top of the line models fitted with bilsteins were called the GTB. The manual version of the GTB received the new EJ20R motor, the first Legacy to reach the Japanese maximum output of 276hp (206kw). The auto models of the new GTB continued with the older EJ20H motor right through until the end of the production the the BG series.

The Limited model featured a unique front bumper and large spot lights. Their maybe other unique parts added but knowledge isn\'t the best on this model. Reuben may be able to shed some light on this.

Hope that helps. :)

Limiteds were only made during the C-rev, so that, being a B-rev, will simply just have a ltd bumper bolted on. Pretty common to find (LTD\'s were also wagon only, any sedan with the bumper will have had the same thing, bumper bolted on)

Post up your vin, or rego, and we will be able to tell you exactly what model it is.

And there\'s no difference between GT-B, and GTB, that\'s basically the two different ways of writing the same thing. Jord coveres the difference between GT and GT-B quite nicely there. Basically they were just up-specced GT\'s. And for example, you couldn\'t get leather in the BG GT-B\'s and things like that, and all GT-B\'s came with the winter pack factory, rather than the GT, where you had to option it on for example (winter pack is the heated wing mirrors, and elements under the wiper blades etc.)

Difference between GT-B and GT-B Limited is pretty much nill, was just a different applied model number, the bumper, and woodgrain momo/shifter knob. If you optioned dual airbags though, you didn\'t get the woodgrain, as there was never a woodgrain wheel made for the dual airbag models (like mine). They also made a TS-R B Limited too.

97.9%20legacy%20touringwagon.20.jpg

97.9%20legacy%20touringwagon.21.jpg

97.9%20legacy%20touringwagon.22.jpg

97.9%20legacy%20touringwagon.23.jpg

while we\'re at it, it\'s important to note that the BG5A and BG5B/C EJ20H\'s are totally different engines. A\'s have hydraulic lifters (and lines on the rocker covers), B/C\'s are solid lifter, and look identical to the 20R. Easy way to think of it is, BG5A 20H\'s are equiv to V1/2 WRX 20G\'s, and BG5B/C 20H\'s are equiv to V3/4/foz EJ20G\'s.

ReubenH said:

Limiteds were only made during the C-rev, so that, being a B-rev, will simply just have a ltd bumper bolted on. Pretty common to find (LTD\'s were also wagon only, any sedan with the bumper will have had the same thing, bumper bolted on)

Post up your vin, or rego, and we will be able to tell you exactly what model it is.

And there\'s no difference between GT-B, and GTB, that\'s basically the two different ways of writing the same thing. Jord coveres the difference between GT and GT-B quite nicely there. Basically they were just up-specced GT\'s. And for example, you couldn\'t get leather in the BG GT-B\'s and things like that, and all GT-B\'s came with the winter pack factory, rather than the GT, where you had to option it on for example (winter pack is the heated wing mirrors, and elements under the wiper blades etc.)

Difference between GT-B and GT-B Limited is pretty much nill, was just a different applied model number, the bumper, and woodgrain momo/shifter knob. If you optioned dual airbags though, you didn\'t get the woodgrain, as there was never a woodgrain wheel made for the dual airbag models (like mine). They also made a TS-R B Limited too.

while we\'re at it, it\'s important to note that the BG5A and BG5B/C EJ20H\'s are totally different engines. A\'s have hydraulic lifters (and lines on the rocker covers), B/C\'s are solid lifter, and look identical to the 20R. Easy way to think of it is, BG5A 20H\'s are equiv to V1/2 WRX 20G\'s, and BG5B/C 20H\'s are equiv to V3/4/foz EJ20G\'s.

That is very informative -thank you!

Picking up on a couple of your comments - I think I have heated mirrors, there is a little switch by the mirror adjusters, there is also some kind of heater switch on the center console in front of the "snow flake" hold switch, there is also dual air bags, but no woodgrain enhancements.

Did the GTB\'s or GTB Limited have a bigger brake package-noticed in the image there is a picture of the discs and calipers.

Yeah, was optional, on ALL legacy models, just had to tick the box when buying.. You could even option primative side airbags too, that come out of the side bolsters. Mine doesn\'t have those though, only wires coming out of the seat are the seatbelt buckle ones.

You can run the dual airbag momo on a single bag system, I just call it that because the only way to get it from subaru was to option dual bags. Side note, it\'s the same wheel as the V4 STi wheel, just minus the red stitching.

97.9%20legacy%20touringwagon.18.jpg

And yes, the brochures are avail for the BH.

http://a15ff11300g.sakura.ne.jp/catalogue/catalogue.html