Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

v7 upgrades

Bugle

Picked up a totally stock v7 WRX wagon late last year, how much v7 STi kit will bolt straight on?

Apart from shoving the 17\'s from the Legacy on (the wee bugeye is a bit rolly polly twitchy compared to the GT!) I\'m thinking STi brakes, suspension and intercooler for this years upgrades. Easy or not?

Bugle said:

Picked up a totally stock v7 WRX wagon late last year, how much v7 STi kit will bolt straight on?

Apart from shoving the 17\'s from the Legacy on (the wee bugeye is a bit rolly polly twitchy compared to the GT!) I\'m thinking STi brakes, suspension and intercooler for this years upgrades. Easy or not?

easy

wagon will have the non wide sedan guards

get some sedan guards and any sedan kit will fit in the front with the sedan bumper

other than that all stuff is bolt on

have done similar upgrades to a wrx v7 before

get the sti wagon specific struts, the rear struts and springs are rated differently, and the wagon also has a slightly narrower track than the sedan, so if you put the sedan ones in you\'ll get stupid amounts of camber. the rears may also flog out quicker, they will also sit a little lower in the rear as the sedan has a lighter bum.

but, in saying that, subaru\'s in general are lego. basically EVERYTHING pre v8 including the dirty old bc legacies circa 1990 ish will swap back and forth with minimal hassle. (seats, struts, engines, dash\'s, you get the idea)

Hmmm now I feel semi literate...

Genome STi axle back secured, splashing out on some on special Momo goodies as it appears they are abandoning NZ

Yeah I looked at buying boon\'s v7 STi suspension but they were sedan type so off the shopping list alas, have found a suitable donor car at Sub A Roo in the Tron so I\'ll pillage the tasty bits that are left on that as the budget permits ;D

Brembos don\'t come cheap - your call on if it\'d be worth the outlay I guess - 4 pots are like a 1/4 the cost and still visually fill out the wheels well (and functionally would be more than enough for *most*)

Intercooler would be a direct bolt on and very cheap (V7 STi coolers go for $100-150?) - I don\'t know if the Y pipe is the same between sti or wrx in V7 era but is normally the thing that makes it worth the trouble

Struts just keep an eye on strongs website, you\'ll find something come up at some point for sure

My 2c anyway

LOL sensible eh!

The bugeye is really wobbly and twitchy compared to the trusty BG5 (to the point that her indoors is a bit hesitant to drive it!) so sorting that gets top priority.

Plus that gives me a few more months to figure out how to get the best of the single turbo after years of driving the twin spooler :D

newsuba said:

As it appears you\'re building an ersatz STI, why didn\'t you buy an STI in the first place ?

???

Like me probably didnt have the extra coin at the time rather spend few bucks a month on upgrades. If I bought a sti it probably wouldve remained stock Ill end up with a better car this way and I like the interior so much more than an sti.

Marky']

Brembos don\'t come cheap - your call on if it\'d be worth the outlay I guess - 4 pots are like a 1/4 the cost and still visually fill out the wheels well (and functionally would be more than enough for *most*)

My 2c anyway

True enough, although there is still a massive difference imo. v7\'s are about 200kg heavier than earlier models yet the brembos still pull them up noticeably quicker and don\'t fade as badly.

The effort / price as you say probably isn\'t worth it though - would\'ve been cheaper to get an STi sedan to start with.

[quote name='Bugle said:

v7 STi appear to have a bigger bonnet scoop, is that purely decorative or required to get the best from the larger ic?

I know that chulozumo on here has put a v7 sti engine into his earlier model wrx and he\'s experiencing some issues with heat, one cause of which is arguably the smaller scoop (along with smaller engine bay and other reasons).

You might as well do it if you can get hold of one!