Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

STI WONT START

Minaj

Hey guys I\'ve been having problems with my old starter motor. I have bashed it a couple of time to crank the car on, but while doing that i touched the postive and negative with hammer. I have bought a new starter motor today tryed to crank the car on and i cant hear anything spinning hellp??

Seeing as you touched the terminals first thing i would check would be all the main fuses in engine bay, if that fails get a multimeter check the voltage at the main input wire then the exciter wire (the small one with the spade connector)

MAKE YOU TEST WITH SOMEONE TRYING TO CRANK THE ENGINE ON THE KEY

Should see no less than 10v on both.

Did you put on the excitor wire? The little push on terminal? or check the fuse on positive side not sure if it will do anything but it sometimes blows when jumpstart the wrong way round. If the solenoid isnt clicking Id say the excitor thingy aint on.

test to see if any voltage comming to the starter terminals

if no then recheck all fuses in the engine bay

does ur battery have enough power (maybe a new battery or a known good one)

are u pressing clutch when starting?

does starter click when turning the starter on the key?

remove the starter and put 12v on it and see if in fact moves?

does ur ignition lights come on dash?

SP00N said:

test to see if any voltage comming to the starter terminals

if no then recheck all fuses in the engine bay

does ur battery have enough power (maybe a new battery or a known good one)

are u pressing clutch when starting?

does starter click when turning the starter on the key?

remove the starter and put 12v on it and see if in fact moves?

does ur ignition lights come on dash?

I have checked all fuses in engine bay they are all find yes i am pressing the cliutch all the way in, would you have a clue where the starter relay would be??

• Admin

If you touched the terminals together you\'ve popped a fuse somewhere, I virtually guarantee it. It\'ll be a big f*cker, probably the largest one in the car. Won\'t look like a normal fuse.

EDIT: Or you\'ve smoked the relay. Either way, get a multimeter or test light and check there\'s 12v at the starter.

get an extension cord, plug one end into the wall, cut the other end off, strip the cable and jump start the car with 230 volts

dont worry about getting the polarity wrong, coz with 230 volts AC it changes all the time, the battery will sense this put itself into "self protect mode" and will then only except neutrons and electrons coming from the correct atom

I\'m not sure if this has been covered in the thread already but..

There is a third wire on the started that is the lead that is the signal from the key ignition to the starter to tell it to go.

Mine had fallen off and was giving similar symptoms. AA man found it in about 30 seconds so must be common ish.

It\'s impossible to see with the stater in place, Well in my case anyway.

Luckily here is one google prepared earlier :

http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=3784767&imageurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rockauto.com%2Finfo%2FSMP%2FSS803_PRIMARY.jpg

It\'s the small tab on the right of the terminal post. Might be in a different location on a different starter.

Managed to crank the car on with a great help of our fourm member EVOWRX it looked like the imbombiliser crapped it self i guess the motherbored fryed it self while the wires on the imbobiliser had also been fryed and meltings.So hopefully today might go get my self a new alarm if i have sufficient funds in my accound lol, or ill rock a kill switch for a while.

Minaj said:

Managed to crank the car on with a great help of our fourm member EVOWRX it looked like the imbombiliser crapped it self i guess the motherbored fryed it self while the wires on the imbobiliser had also been fryed and meltings.So hopefully today might go get my self a new alarm if i have sufficient funds in my accound lol, or ill rock a kill switch for a while.

it was Me buddy :) :) :)