Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Need some decent good quality open road driving tyres. Any suggestions?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bridestone MY03 - entry level performance tyre

RE002 - premium performance tyre

Firestone TZ700 - premium touring tyre

Direzza DZ101

Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

SP Sport FastResponse (Asymmetric)

SP Sport Maxx

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Eagle NCT 5

Efficient Grip

Some things like Supercat, Neuton\'s etc should fill your boots as well if budget is a concern, avoid cheap and nasty at all costs.

What town do you live in? If CHCH flick me a pm for pricing availability options

subysnax said:

Im a Welly boy ;D

And I dont really want to spend over 160 a tyre if I was to give a figure

Tyres are one thing you don\'t want to cheap about. They are the only thing attached to the road, and play a huge role in your and passenger safety. Cheap tyres will not grip the road as well on corners, and also slide under emergency braking.

achilles and neutons are the SAME tyre. made in the same factory with a different name on it. falken flk452 are pretty good and toyos will give you you the time of your life. also nitto but they get around the 200 mark for each tyre

boon said:

Toyo T1 Sports are decent for the money.

Bridgestone MY01\'s can be had for ~150 a tyre, dunno about MY03s

the new toyo drb is pretty mint tyre grips hard on my mate teggy. gonna get a set once i burn through my my01s

subysnax said:

and how good are kingstar tyres (k106). They came with the car and Im waiting for the tread to burn off obviously before replacing them.

Not the greatest in my opinion, They aren\'t to bad in the dry apart from being abit noisy.

BUT in the wet they are hilarious!! rubbish at gripping anything when raining, even the special grit stuff the council are obsessed with putting on sharp turns at the moment.

I had Nexens on my old car which were really good, slightly soft sidewalls and were quite a soft compound but apart from that couldn\'t fault them.

MercuryFree']

[quote name='MercuryFree said:

Do not buy achilles

/quote]

But they last FOREVER !

Still got yours ?

;D

Given I\'ve only done 3,500kms in the last year I entirely expect them to pass my wof next month.... FFFFFUUUUUUU

I ran Achilles ATR and can vouch for them handling like plastic in the wet.

tebbyj']

[quote name='subysnax said:

and how good are kingstar tyres (k106). They came with the car and Im waiting for the tread to burn off obviously before replacing them.

/quote]

Not the greatest in my opinion, They aren\'t to bad in the dry apart from being abit noisy.

BUT in the wet they are hilarious!! rubbish at gripping anything when raining, even the special grit stuff the council are obsessed with putting on sharp turns at the moment.

I had Nexens on my old car which were really good, slightly soft sidewalls and were quite a soft compound but apart from that couldn\'t fault them.

Yeah, I mean it probably is me, but I found them awfully slippery. But im trying to get used to the balance of the car in and out of corners

Devils advocate here

But I\'ve heard it thrown around a bit that you\'re better off upsizing to a 17" rim purely because with so many higher end / sporty cars coming with them as OEM sizing now, you end up with better value for money (or more options available) if going for a sportier compound?

As in... May end up spending more on a 16" tyre of type x when you could get the 17" equivalent for less and also get the benefits of reduced sidewall etc from a performance point of view

Not like it\'d cost much for a set of gtb / b4 rims to keep it "stock" too

Just my 2c - I always try to take having to replace/repair things as an opportunity to upgrade instead haha

Zeus']

[quote name='subysnax said:

Im a Welly boy ;D

And I dont really want to spend over 160 a tyre if I was to give a figure

/quote]

Tyres are one thing you don\'t want to cheap about. They are the only thing attached to the road, and play a huge role in your and passenger safety. Cheap tyres will not grip the road as well on corners, and also slide under emergency braking.

Agreed Less than $160 per tyre is rather poos

boon said:

Toyo T1 Sports are decent for the money.

Bridgestone MY01\'s can be had for ~150 a tyre, dunno about MY03s

MY01\'s are getting long in the tooth now, been replaced by My02 (although some random sizes do persist in MY01 due to low sales volumes in that size globally)