Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

RWD Axle/wheel Hop

lowandy

Ok so if i drop the clutch on the spot to try do a standstill burnout, the rear wheels hop like they are grabbing traction but shakes the whole car, i havent tried dropping the clutch off limiter yet but im thinking it only hops because im not giving it enough revs?

Is there anyway to get rid of this? As im sure this will blow diff/axles quicker

I have D2 Adjusties all around and is set up quite stiff due to low ride height, would this be the problem?

Sorry let me get this straight - you have a rwd sub and you havent dumped from the limiter yet? Roo is giving last lessons I heard... If limiter doesnt help try it on space savers. I wouldnt bother dropping the clutch at anything less than 5k unless you have launch control to compensate.

Axle tramp is more of a leaf thing isnt it?

When a car launches and the wheels grips, not only does it push the car forward but the wheel moves itself forward in the wheelwell as well.

As it moves forward it changes the toe (angle of the wheel) of the wheel and basicially it looses traction, therefore the wheel goes back in thwe wheel well, where then the toe goes back to normal and it grips again and repeats this cycle.

Usually, the first things to check would be bushings, stiffer the better as soft old ones allow for more forward motion. But since you said you replaced them Id look at shocks, they just might not be damping the up/down motion.

In leafspring setups, I believe another issue is when the wheel moves forward it distorts the spring a fraction aswell, so when it returns it hops, and this is how tramp rods work. They limit the flex in the spring.

TLDR upgrade ya bushings to nolathane or alike

Yip rwd bg9 2.5 n/a so not exactly a powerhouse to spin the wheels lol

I was gonna link that video in because that exactly what it feels like so as soon as i feel it i clutch in to stop it.

Ok so my best bet would be for nothelane diff bushes/mounts?

Ill give a try above 5k revs or else just straight off the limiter haha

Lol try drop it in 2nd from limiter I have no axle tramp from that. But if I drop it driving in the driveway it does tramp a bit.

Put it down to the rear shocks being past it, mine aren\'t that flash. Some decent quality adjustable suspension is really ideal for these rwd.

Roo said:

Lol try drop it in 2nd from limiter I have no axle tramp from that. But if I drop it driving in the driveway it does tramp a bit.

Put it down to the rear shocks being past it, mine aren\'t that flash. Some decent quality adjustable suspension is really ideal for these rwd.

That\'s basically it - axle tramp comes from the suspension not being damped right and just winding up on itself, slamming back down, repeat X heaps

I\'ve driven a newish clubby which tramped like a trampy thing just from worn out bushes too (got rear end refreshed, tramp stopped). A lot of older mitsi\'s will do it with the front wheels and a big RPM launch too, same reason of shot shocks.

It\'s definately worth fixing pronto - it can do wicked damage to the axles etc

For what it\'s worth more RPM can be a work-around to avoid it but it\'s not a fix for it

madmike']

[quote name='jesus said:

I have this problem on my wagon. Not enough damping/stiffness in the rear end. Either gotta increase the speed of the wheelspin or stiffen things up.

/quote]

Your just being to much of a nana!!!

More revs needed!

I agree. Just spin the wheels faster and they won\'t bounce.