Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dispute: 04 legacy cam belt snap at "40,000" not actually changed so 140,000

slystiguy

So I had to eat my words haha it was in fact the cam belt. Sorry for ever doubting the all knowing power of clubsubers. How ever this is where the story gets interesting. This car was imported into the country at around 100kms. When it was imported it had the usual cam belt and 100km service done by the dealer in NZ (unsure who the mechanic was yet but the receipts have been kept). The car now has 140,000 on it. And the belt has just given up. A visual inspection of the belt indicates this belt isn\'t 40,000kms old. The writing on the belt is completely gone and it is cracked all over. The owner is going to get some expert opinions today from some of the subaru dealers around town before starting the process of who pays for what. The mechanic that diagnosed the fault said the belt is in no way 40,000kms old and looks to have not been changed.

The other interesting thing is that the car had an oil leak leading up to Christmas. So she took the car in for a full service and specifically asked them to check everything including the cambelt (so nothing went wrong while on holiday). Had this service been carried out properly this issue could have potentially been caught before anything went wrong.

What are your thoughts? I\'ve told her to seek professional advice and then go back to the mechanic who changed the belt when she finds the receipts. The other thing is I personally wouldn\'t want me rebuilt engine being done by the same dodgy mechanic and would be looking for a reasonable payout and taking it an expert.

OLD NEWS BELOW

------------------------------------------------------------

Just been out to rescue a friend who has an 04 2L turbo auto legacy. She was driving along normally and didn\'t notice any problems before hand when it lost power an wasn\'t revving. The check engine light came on as it died. When I tried to start it the starter sounds like it\'s spinning freely just sort of makes a whizzing or winding sound. It\'s like it doesn\'t even hit the flywheel to try start the engine.

Any ideas what would cause this to die suddenly and then have this problem with the starter?

Can\'t run codes as need a scanner grrr

it\'s only got 140kms and it wasn\'t making any major noises or problems before the car stopped I highly doubt its the cambelt lol

It\'s not my car just my friends. She\'s taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully will get a reasonable answer back from them. Seems very strange

Rosssub said:

Also... If the Cam Belt snapped it would Die instantly. With major Mechanical Breaky Noises.

Check All Starter Fuses, if the Solenoid Feed Fuse Blew, The Starter Motor could spin freely. (no solenoid to engage it) :-\

the starter motor solenoid also functions as the relay for the starter motor . you cant get the motor spinning with out the solenoid working

Not much else can really give a result like you describe.

If the starter is working and not turning the motor the clutch may be shagged.

But why did it die and if it\'s turning over why does it not have compression?

Completely blocked intake or cam belt are the only two reasons i can think of atm that would result in all cylinders losing compression allowing the motor to free-spin

lachlan']

[quote name='Rosssub said:

Also... If the Cam Belt snapped it would Die instantly. With major Mechanical Breaky Noises.

Check All Starter Fuses, if the Solenoid Feed Fuse Blew, The Starter Motor could spin freely. (no solenoid to engage it) :-\

/quote]

the starter motor solenoid also functions as the relay for the starter motor . you cant get the motor spinning with out the solenoid working

That.

It\'s not turning over just making a whissing noise.

Would also cause a Starter CEL. guessing P0512-Starter Request Circuit, CEL.

Looks like I have to eat my words and say SORRY to everyone for eve doubting you guys. It was the cambelt that snapped. Although the owner told me it wasn\'t making any funny noises before dying I suspect it probably did lol.

I\'ve updated the first post to include a new story to follow.

Does anyone know if these newer models kill them selves when the belts snap? I know the old ones generally do.

Guest hate-evoz

Lol as long as its diagnosed - all goods. Good on those that got it right but atleast we know now what it definately is...

Say to say but Yeah the engine will be f***d - Cambelt snapping while driving is rebuild/new engine time. Can put new belt on and see but I highly doubt it will be ok - damage would have been done.

Haha yeaaaaa in my defense I just went on the fact that "the belt had been done" and "no funny noises just died" would have pretty much ruled that out. But now it gets very interesting.

No pics unfortunately. I saw the belt myself and it was stuffed. Cracked all over as well. It\'s being done at a dealers so no photos I doubt. My guess is that the valves will be bent as well?

It\'s reasons like this I don\'t trust any mechanics. And the main reason why I do all the work myself. Seems like every second person I hear about has done something dodgy or ripped someone off.

I snapped 2 Valves, clean in half. Stabbed one broken Valve Stem into the Head and Stabbed the other Valve Stem through a Piston. 8)

With only the Starter Motor engaging. Engine off.... ;D

Pics in here:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,41035.0.html

You Engine is Tooooooastiesss.

Edit: Also I got lied to about Cam Belt replacement too. Identical perished Belt/WP Leaking.... The cause of her Demise. :(

My closet friend is Twinturboboy. ;)

with luck, she only will have to have the heads rebuilt, as although these engines are "non interference" meaning the valves do not usually hit the pistons, the issue they do have is that the valves can clip each other. which then bends valves and shit.

I had a tensioner fail causing a belt to fail in a BH legacy, it needed a full head rebuild or a second hand engine.

They dont usually make any funny noises they just let go and end of story.

sounds like it is the old, stick a cambelt done sticker on it, and get it out of the yard quick