Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

WRX Exhausts - your opinions?

Hey all,

I am looking at getting a new rear muffler for my 96 wrx - I am wanting to know what people think (and possibly if you have photos to share) of what different rear mufflers look like on WRX's.

I like dumpys but have not managed to find any photos...hoping someone has a photo of a WRX with a dumpy to share. The other ones I like are angle cut blue tip and straight cut blue tip (reason for blue tip as it goes with the colour of my wheels).

Anyway your opinions would be greatly appreciated as I am undecided on what I want. Thanks everyone!

THIS IS MY OPINION

Dumpy=Rotary boy or wannabe :)(i should know some mates run a club here for rotatries and they all run dumpies)

SOOOOO the angle or straight cut sounding better,BUT with the way the PO-LICE are targeting at the mo u may be better to run something a wee bit more stealth.

U could also run a shiney stainless one but hit it with a gas torch until it goes blue on the tip

yeah it loves speed bumps and angled driveway

yeah the guy showed i could of got more of an angle when putting it on but we decided it looked better the way it is

Its a HKS tip on a standard exhaust nothing special i do have a group A down pipe tho.

Also my car look on the pis s i wonder if thats my drive way or the adjustables

How loud is your wagon Funky? I have a three inch ss pipe from the downpipe back. Was just wondering how much louder a catless 2.5" or 3" downpipe would make it. Several people have said VERY LOUD, others have said not much louder than it already is.

HKS Silent Hi-Power, FTW, 3inch mandrel bent, Full Stainless Cat back system is purpose designed to give power improvement , Looks nice (angled) and is Just legal for sound....

Note pic is of a HKS Hi Power, But they Virtually look the same except the Silent Hi Power has its name engraved on the tip.

808.jpg

Is more quiet than it looks.

come out for a tickle and you can see for yourself.

The history of where i got to where i am now

First

Group A front pipe, catless 3" midpipe and V7 stock muffler

Maybe it sound like an N/A, was sooo quiet.

Second

Got rid of the muffler and put on my RPS canon

It still had a 3" catless in there and it was rediculous, dronnie and nasty to drive on or off boost. lasted a whole day before it went back to be changed.

Third

Went to a 2.5 midsection and the largest cat as far forward as i could put it (allowing for another later if required)

Still noisey but much nicer, a little dronnie around 3-3.5k revs

Lastly

Have put in a set of STA performance UNEQUAL length headers and its killed even more of the drone and still rip snorts when you slap the sauce pedal

note: Group A front pipe is what makes it rasp'y. 3" mid pipe makes it dronny, and cannons amplify all the above.

Group A front pipe gives slightly better top end that a 2.5" front pipe and there are no gains at all from a 3" mid pipe, subbies just dont breath enough to warrant it.

I think the Sound has to do with the Muffler tip at the end, Reason being, My mate has a V3 STi Ra, and he has a HKS Hyper Dragger Exhaust (3inch Mandrel Bent cat-back system) and i have the HKS Silent Hi-power (Also 3 inch cat back exhaust) and mine is way more quiet than his... when i installed mine with the Stock downpipe (cat Converter etc) it didnt sound loud at all, i was quite dissappointed, i wanted the Wank factor (Loud Exhaust). But i installed a 3 inch down pipe and that made it sound just perfect. HKS exhausts I highly recomend, Dont get some crappy made exhaust with different size sections and what not, buy a bolt on system Purposly designed for it.

GC82GO said:

I think the Sound has to do with the Muffler tip at the end, Reason being, My mate has a V3 STi Ra, and he has a HKS Hyper Dragger Exhaust (3inch Mandrel Bent cat-back system) and i have the HKS Silent Hi-power (Also 3 inch cat back exhaust) and mine is way more quiet than his... when i installed mine with the Stock downpipe (cat Converter etc) it didnt sound loud at all, i was quite dissappointed, i wanted the Wank factor (Loud Exhaust). But i installed a 3 inch down pipe and that made it sound just perfect. HKS exhausts I highly recomend, Dont get some crappy made exhaust with different size sections and what not, buy a bolt on system Purposly designed for it.

ummm i wasnt saying "get some crappy made exhaust with different size sections and what not".. careful with what your implying ;)

Mine is custom made by a reputable fabricator here in wellies and it came with the Group A front pipe. The RPS tip wa smy selection but i do agree that each gives a different sound. Generally however big front pipe makes ir rasp, and large midsection gives you the resonation regardless of the tip

Sorry, was just my opinion ???. Ive had a 3 inch made at a reputable shop on my old WRX, Let me just say that the quality from HKS is far above. and for the price ($360 got me a Full Cat back system off trademe) there isnt much point in getting a full system made at a shop.. MY OPINION! (flame me if u feel the need)

Ok, I don't really want the car any louder. In fact I was weighing up whether to remove the current cat back ss 3" and put a stock exhaust on, or replace the downpipe with a matching ss one. Either way will cost me about the same I imagine. The stock exhaust will give me the least dramas with the bah-humbug folks, but most people say the best gains are made with the downpipe. So rather than throw away a perfectly good ss 3" setup which is not overly loud at the moment, I'm just trying to figure out if whacking a 2.5" or 3" downpipe is going to make it louder again by some order of magnitude.

yup and 3" > 2.5" in terms of noise. but so with the power gains.. not huge but a little.

the change will be relative to what other elements you have however.. headers, midpipe, resonators, canon brand, 2.5" or 3".

Almost no to subbies sound the same

If you want a system that isn't ridiculously loud, go for the HKS Silent Hi Power. Quality build on it is absolutely brilliant, I am running a full 3" setup from the turbo (xforce 3" front pipe with the HKS Silent Hi Power) noise level is a lot less than I expected.

This is Quoted from the MRT site:

Answers on Mufflers

There are several choices for the exhaust on a Subaru

Replacement of the complete system from the actual engine back.

Replacement of the system from the turbo back, most common.

Replacement of the rear muffler only.

REPLACEMENT OF THE WHOLE SYSTEM!!!!

Most people think that all 3 inch systems are the same. They're not!

Sure the pipe diameter may be similar but that's where it stops. Weather its mandrel bent, press bent or a combination of the two this is just the start of an impact on the final performance you will get.

Mandrel bent is, as the pipe bends around a corner its diameter stays constant, press bent or any other reduces in diameter from the way the machine bends the tube. Obviously a constant diameter bend is better for flow and constant velocity through the whole system.

The BIG benefit is in the noise, (more aurally enjoyable but not loud!), HP and throttle response. Therefore choice of brand should consider:

Ease of removal for future clutch and car repairs.

Ease of fit to the standard factory mounts.

If its made on the car or on a jig for future replacement parts, and consistent proven design.

Design, E.G. does it include flexible joints to stop cracks and is it clamp joints or flange joints?.

is it proven? Dyno reports, brand etc..