Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Snow Chains - on 18"

Is anyone out there running snow Chains on a 2007+ Sti with the Factory 245/40/118 wheels?

I've been told the manual forbids the use of chains (can't confirm as Japanese) and that their is not enough clearance between the wheel and suspension anyway.

Getting some for the wheel size is easy, its whether or not there is clearance to use them safely....

Then their is the potential if I can get them to fit.... will they scratch the wheels....

I wouldn't have thought it to of mattered, because the chains are either on the front or rear (on rwd cars). Which isn't as bad as having them both on the left or right, like when using odd tyres, as long as the same brand (similar tread depth), are paired on the front or back and not the left or right. It should be fine?

Nachoooo said:
What do you need them for? Snow Socks (http://www.autosock.com/en/) are good for any sealed roads but ski feel roads, I.e. gravel roads will tear them to pieces. But, when you look at them, they won't cause any damage to your wheels or tyres.

These are next to useless, except on sealed SNOWY roads, no good on ice and no good on gravel ( I looked into these a heap when they were released as a good easy chain replacment) also they don't like roads that are gritted.

Your best bet would be smaller rims and "normal" quickfit type chains

Sub Zero said:
Slight thread hijack. But I've always been told that if your car is 4wd or awd you have to have chains on all 4 wheels? Is this true?

Nope on the front will do, I run AWD vans and Buses and only ever run chains on the front when necessary( which isnt often as my vehicles are set up for snow and ice use mainly running a skinny AT type tire on them)

Bumpty said:
... Which isn't as bad as having them both on the left or right, like when using odd tyres, as long as the same brand (similar tread depth), are paired on the front or back and not the left or right. It should be fine?

Any which way you fit them, significantly different diameter tyres will increase strain on one of your differentials. Front to back mismatch is just choosing to strain the centre diff.

GC8E2DD said:
Any which way you fit them, significantly different diameter tyres will increase strain on one of your differentials. Front to back mismatch is just choosing to strain the centre diff.

For the time and speeds that are involved with chains fitted ( usually less than 1/2 hour actually driving and maybe if you are unlucky 15km) then any "damage" to the centre diff will be inconsequential

• Admin
 DRFVDR said:
For the time and speeds that are involved with chains fitted ( usually less than 1/2 hour actually driving and maybe if you are unlucky 15km) then any "damage" to the centre diff will be inconsequential

Plus the fact that inherently you're driving it in a low-traction situation so there won't be a lot of force on the diff.

I have a jap import arriving this week with good condition snow tyres on all 4, I've done a bit of research and I'm going to keep them on for the ski season and see how they go.

Apparently "warm" (greater than 7 degrees celcius) performance difference is less than 10% and that's comparing quality tyres, whereas sub-7-degrees the snow tyre hugely outperforms the regular one.

In fact, given how much the car will get driven at less than 7 degrees I may even get a second set of rims for summer, will get me more mileage from the summer tyres by not putting the long highway k's on them and I figure I'll be able to buy loads of really good winter tyres very cheap from importers removing them on arrival.

• General Member

interesting replies re chains on all 4 vs 2, my reply was based on nothing more than my common sense, as mentioned DRFVDR does that for a living so I'd lean towards real world experience anyday

& yea it hasnt been mentioned the merits of Snow tires even tho the regulations for some private roads/access ways are "Chains from this point"

Remember folks, snow tyres don't help on ice unless they're studded, and studded tyres are apparently illegal in NZ.

Most Ski roads will have ice, some of them for long stretches, where chains are a necessity.

Also those snow socks are useless on ice as well.

I have seen rubber "chains" with metal studs in them, specifically for low clearance vehicles, might pay to look into them.

Percy said:
Remember folks, snow tyres don't help on ice unless they're studded, and studded tyres are apparently illegal in NZ.

Most Ski roads will have ice, some of them for long stretches, where chains are a necessity.

Also those snow socks are useless on ice as well.

I have seen rubber "chains" with metal studs in them, specifically for low clearance vehicles, might pay to look into them.

Once again wrong, snow tires do help alot on ice, when your wheels slip on snow or ice,they are not actually slipping on the "ice" as such but a very small layer of water between the tire and the surface, Proper snow tires have a a/ a soft compound, and b/ a heap of little grooves that suck the water layer away thus allowing you to drive on the original surface.

boon said:
Plus the fact that inherently you're driving it in a low-traction situation so there won't be a lot of force on the diff.

I have a jap import arriving this week with good condition snow tyres on all 4, I've done a bit of research and I'm going to keep them on for the ski season and see how they go.

Apparently "warm" (greater than 7 degrees celcius) performance difference is less than 10% and that's comparing quality tyres, whereas sub-7-degrees the snow tyre hugely outperforms the regular one.

In fact, given how much the car will get driven at less than 7 degrees I may even get a second set of rims for summer, will get me more mileage from the summer tyres by not putting the long highway k's on them and I figure I'll be able to buy loads of really good winter tyres very cheap from importers removing them on arrival.

Boon, what will kill your snow tires is the run from Wellington to here,

best bet is to have 2 sets of rims and tires and leave your snow tires here

DRFVDR said:

Yes but I was commenting on Bumpty's comparison to fitting different sized tyres; seemingly saying that mismatch front to back is ok. Presumably you have tyres on your car at all times whilst driving and thus this scenario would have a significant effect; snow chains notwithstanding ;]

• Admin
 DRFVDR said:
Boon, what will kill your snow tires is the run from Wellington to here,

best bet is to have 2 sets of rims and tires and leave your snow tires here

The going rate is about $25 a tyre for good condition snow tyres, I'll just flog through them, even if I kill a set every season it's probably cheaper than the wear on decent summer tyres and the performance difference will be worth it.

Plus in theory a fair bit of my highway driving will be at appropriate temperatures for them anyway.

GC8E2DD said:
Yes but I was commenting on Bumpty's comparison to fitting different sized tyres; seemingly saying that mismatch front to back is ok. Presumably you have tyres on your car at all times whilst driving and thus this scenario would have a significant effect; snow chains notwithstanding ;]

Oops didnt get that bit, nope miss matched tires in anything that is AWD ( especially if it runs a centre viscous) is a no no and will cause damage

I use SCC Super Z6 on my bh5 http://www.peerlesschain.com/brands/traction/traction-product-choices/super-z6-tire-chains/. They don't need much clearance and are the easiest chains I've ever put on (I could do about a minute each wheel). Traction is as good as any regular tyre chain I've used.

Just checked and they make them in your size. Also I haven't noticed any damage to the wheels from using them. If I remember correctly only plastic and rubber parts make contact with the wheel itself.

Edited by alfie

alfie said:
I use SCC Super Z6 on my bh5 http://www.peerlesschain.com/brands/traction/traction-product-choices/super-z6-tire-chains/. They don't need much clearance and are the easiest chains I've ever put on (I could do about a minute each wheel). Traction is as good as any regular tyre chain I've used.

Just checked and they make them in your size. Also I haven't noticed any damage to the wheels from using them. If I remember correctly only plastic and rubber parts make contact with the wheel itself.

looks like these are low clearance, 6mm. Expensive here in NZ at ~$280 for something I might never use.

Looks like i'll use YouShop and get them from Amazon ~$160

glion said:
looks like these are low clearance, 6mm. Expensive here in NZ at ~$280 for something I might never use.

Looks like i'll use YouShop and get them from Amazon ~$160

$280 seems a reasonable price I pay upto $1000 for a set for my buses :)

these look not bad I may see if they do some in the size I need for my new bus