Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

turbo lag

hey there guys i have renectly replaced my turbo in my gt wagon 91 and today just put in sti coils and the turbo is a vf8 out of a rs legacy and it has got lag real bad wat could the problem be.

thanks brad

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

go introduce yourself first dude, you musta scrolled past that section first.

2nd, your post prob belongs in motor and turbo.

3rd, did it lag before you changed the coils, but after the turbo replacement? what gears, revs, boost do you notice it?

Does it boost right up in time..? Could be like the pill replacement trick ive seen talked about here before. Different turbo with the same vac lines, and the pill is wrong...

Wud the GT even like a VF8 anyway?

it lags from the get go and i dont want another vf10 as i just got the vf8 and i was told it was better than a vf10 and my subaru is manual if anyone is near levin would be kool if they could come help me find out wat the problem is.

thanks brad

vf8 is bigger than vf10 so ther may be a very small lag but not so big that u really begin to notice it badly like you are..

check all the hoses and intake and any vac lines for leaks.. is everthin plugged like it was before

secondly, how much boost is it running - a good boost gauge

thirdly, as a test, reset ur ecu (unhook battery for couple hours) and see

also see if there are any ecu codes

fourth, as a extreme test - done with really good care - unhook the wastegate vac hose off the turbo and run no wg at alll and see if makes a difference - be sure to let off oce u get to say 13 or so psi but that should be enought to get an indication of difference.

that should get u started on some stuff and depending on result maybe more can be done.

some other things to try wud be to put ur old coils back and see if makes a difference

pappu']

[quote name='Bazza-NZ said:

define what you mean by turbo lag?

i have a 1992 Manuel GT wagon currently running a VF8 so am interested in this

/quote]

wat boost are u running?

std is 9PSI

i run 9.5-10PSI through a GFB Atomic boost controller

Turbo spools and kicks in at about 3000RPM..

He will be running his straight from the turbo to wastage which boost 5psi increasing to 7psi later in the rev's range which is what i think he is calling 'turbo lag' as mine did the same until i either hooked up the boost tap / factory boost controller

Cas- If you want to bring you wagon down to Wellington, i'll happy have a lot over it but may not be able to fix it.

maybe able to meet you half way on saturday but would have to let you know on that as im not sure how it is on gas yet as 20 bucks gas would last me 2 days taking my step son to school with it idling at 500rpm and it now idles at just under 1000rpm and i dont know what i have done wrong putting in the coils and wat psi should it be running.

thanks brad

Hah, for some reason that looks like a lego car to me, lol ;D

Do you want to explain to us exactly what you mean by lag? A VF8, I would expect, would only get onto boost by around 3000rpm... which will seem like a bit of lag coming from a VF10, and allot of lag coming from a honda :P

If the problem developed since doing the coilpack conversion, gotta ask a few things. Did you change the ignitor? Maybe the leads are not so good? Is it low in power accross the rev range?

If you used the old ignitor, and went with a 96-97 coil pack, the dwell timings will be missmatched. This apparently can result in a bad cold idle, or so i'm told.