Sign in to follow this  
Gripless

Apple CarPlay options

No but I have been seriously tossing up getting the Sony AX8000, dig the big screen but can't help thinking it looks kinda out of place hanging in front of the dash. 

The W650E is kinda cool too but think those buttons might not be as user friendly as proper separate physical one's like the AX5500 or AX7000 that I'm more inclined to get. 

• Like 1

You can set it back 2cm once installed so not to bad. Seems it is one of the faster and sensitive to rich than other brands in the reviews. @Batbaruman has the Sony one I think

Have a DMH-Z5350BT in my car, couple with a CPLAY2air adapter. Super expensive compared to what the US get, and have to add the adapter as we don't get wireless carplay headunits.

The screen is capacitive which is great, the buttons are a bit meh though... prefer them being on the bottom. It's also a pain if you don't have steering wheel controls for changing songs/volume.

• Thanks 1

So far I use Apple Watch to change tracks while I'm in the car. It also acts as the GPS antenna for the phone so maps works fine when the phone is in your pocket or centre console bin 

1 hour ago, Sweenz said:

Have a DMH-Z5350BT in my car, couple with a CPLAY2air adapter. Super expensive compared to what the US get, and have to add the adapter as we don't get wireless carplay headunits.

The screen is capacitive which is great, the buttons are a bit meh though... prefer them being on the bottom. It's also a pain if you don't have steering wheel controls for changing songs/volume.

There is an Alpine one that has wireless carplay but the jump in price compared to other units is quite considerable.

https://drivingsound.co.nz/product/alpine-ilx-107-wirless-carplay-for-iphones/

I find the volume button on my current Sony one is in a s*** spot which is why I'll be upgrading to something with physical buttons along the bottom shortly.

It isn't exactly an easy task but you can retrofit buttons into a model that didn't come with them, I've done it on mine with ’most’ of the buttons working, I just need to redo the wiring to get a clearer resistance reading for the system to interpret.

A semi relevant question I've been wondering about, is there any reason a US spec HU would have issues on this side of the world? Only thing I can think of would be for a built-in nav unit as the firmware may not be setup for our region.

you also get the app and parametric EQ on those.

Isn't it an older model? the earlier ones are a bit slow and lag from touch in the reviews.

On 14/07/2020 at 3:55 PM, Gripless said:

You can set it back 2cm once installed so not to bad. Seems it is one of the faster and sensitive to rich than other brands in the reviews. @Batbaruman has the Sony one I think

whoops sorry the late response, it is a fairly flush fit, i got some pics on my thread here in this linked post. mine is the older xav3000 model not sure if there is size difference to the new models

Edited by Batbaruman