• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Brake pads

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally stopped in at BNT this morning. They report that they sell Bendix and Mintex pads, not Ferodo's.

So I was going to get prices on the Mintex and Ultimates and their computer crashed!

So I'll try again next week.

In the meantime, I've emailed Race Brakes to get some info and prices on Mintex and Ferodo pads.

I've got some prices from Racebrakes:

TS2000's (DS2000's) - $225 incl GST per pair front or rear

Mintex M1166 $281.25 incl GST for a front pair (with you providing the backing plates), $225 for rears.

ELF race fluid is $76.5/litre.

So, it is all a bit more expensive then when I last did this.

Not necersarily, I met one guy at the track that races a gt starlet. He uses those cheap pads, he says they do the trick for the track........However he said they only last for about 5 laps and turn literally into dust afterwards. So he chucks on another set after each stint.

• 2 weeks later...

Prices for Bendix Ultimates from BNT:

$212 for the four pot fronts

$156 for the single pot rears.

I forgot to ask for a club discount so I expect that is retail.

So the fronts are pretty similar in price to the Ferodo's... the rears are a lot cheaper though.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went into BNT and picked some front pads up (Ultimates) and they did me a much better price... $150 for the fronts (4 pot) from memory.

They were talking about what sounded like a good price for the Motul 5.1 brake fluid too so I'll have to have a chat to them again about that.

My thoughts.

Pagid - I've never used them, but a lot of the guys in SS2000 rave about them.

Hawk HP+. Great pad, almost up there with Pagid and Endless. A little dusty, but don't fade on track, don't kill rotors, and only take one stop on the street to get up to a useable temp.

Bendix ultimate and higher-level Ferodos - are average.

Mintex M1166 - Work good, but you will KILL your rotors as the heat dissapation is average. I had heard this and didn't believe it until my mate warped his rotors halfway through 3 laps of manfield.

Cheap mintex, bendix, frodos - OK for street, a liability on the track.

If its a street car just go with whatever.

But if its a track car, price up a new set of rotors (or two), then look at the price difference between cheap pads and decent ones, Pagid / Hawk / Endless, and go "is it worth going to a cheaper pad?"

price and places to get the Pagid and Hawk HP+??

i have been using Znoelli pads and they are great warm but a disaster cold and very dusty and have disappeared like fingers in a cheese grater on my slotted rotors...

Thus im in the market for (at least) a front set (for 4 pots).

what are both like cold?

I should probably add some feedback here for my Ferodo TS2000s - which I have now done a couple of events on including Targa Wellington (100km or so of competition stages).

Initial pad feel from cold is rather average - 2-3 good hits later and they are well alive however (so they heat up quicker than your average semi slick will). Then from there I had no problems. I was driving on stages of upto 20km long with speeds between 50-200km/hr and I like to use the brake pedal a bit too much really. I caught them on fire 4 times in the one day, but they never faded on me. So as a good street pad I would have to recommend them. For a track pad I imagine they would also be ok, but Ive not tested them on a track - your average speed on track I imagine would be slightly higher, so braking requirements might be a bit higher too.

However, these are only for 2 pots and still bloody expensive - they were the best part of $300 from Racebrakes. That may however be that they dont sell many in this size/shape as most Subbies racing I imagine have larger brakes? But thats only a guess.

BC5RA said:

Still running the OE 2 pots? Munkvy

Bloody good effort from those!

Yup, havent found a need to upgrade - the pads and fluid combo works fine and the tyres and driver are really the limiting factor so far - plus I do mainly sprints/hillclimbs etc so dont get the same degree of heat in them as track work does - so I find they dont seem to overheat and cause the pads to go off as much. Unless you count catching fire :D

funkytown said:

price and places to get the Pagid and Hawk HP+??

i have been using Znoelli pads and they are great warm but a disaster cold and very dusty and have disappeared like fingers in a cheese grater on my slotted rotors...

Thus im in the market for (at least) a front set (for 4 pots).

what are both like cold?

I got my Hawk HP plus from Total Performance before Ron closed up. I believe

Racetech can also sell them. Dunno price these days, ring and ask.

Pagid - DCH down in ChCh. DCH

Hawks - they needed one or two stops on the street before they were like a normal pad. So quite good. I've never really found any pad to be "bad" cold, you just need to press the pedal a little harder, big deal. Pagids / Endless, dunno, but I imagine they are similar to the Hawks.

Wow so the 2pot TS2000's are actually more expensive than the 4pot ones. Youve only gotta upgrade your calipers and go through 6 sets of pads for the upgrade to have paid for itself viv!

Plus theres a HUGE difference in heat retention between the 2 units.

Quick update on the Ultimates.

I fitted a full set on Monday. So far, they feel like a nice improvement over whatever was on the before and they don't squeal when I'm reversing (huge bonus!). They're fine when cold, better with a bit of temperature and they feel strong and progressive.

I haven't given them a hard time yet but so far I'm pretty happy :)

Have some bendix metal kings in mine at the moment, gave them a little squeeze yesterday and by god they suck. Just with a spirited drive down a back road they started to go off.

NotAWhiteGTB']

[quote name='boostcut said:

endless = endless problems, you cant go past a set of project mu pads. or carbone metallic are good race pads too

/quote]

For mint race pads, Project mu!!!

You can get them through RDL in chch if you want some, PM Koom about them :)

+1 I have a set, were on the expensive side for a full set but well worth it. Forced me to upgrade to semi slicks as my tyres were now the weak point.

WRXER']

[quote name='boostcut said:

endless = endless problems, you cant go past a set of project mu pads. or carbone metallic are good race pads too

/quote]

For mint race pads, Project mu!!!

You can get them through RDL in chch if you want some, PM Koom about them :)

+1 I have a set, were on the expensive side for a full set but well worth it. Forced me to upgrade to semi slicks as my tyres were now the weak point.

price..? how much in 4 pot variant? and for singles in the rear?