Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What Turbo.

Hey

Im doing a single turbo conversion on my 2000 gtb, and I'm now deciding what turbo i should use of if anybody has one for sale.

My brother has said a TD05 would be good. Any thoughts on what turbo to get.

Cheers Josh

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me a GTB is a cruising car, i dont see the point of making uber amounts of power in one given how comfy they are.

If it was me i would put a vf24 on it, it will spoll nice and early and if you are going for 175kW@wheels or less you will be fine. That will give you nice power and make it really lively to cruise along in with the earlier spool time

• General Member

same road at the moment check my WTB thread

JoKer said:

WTB: TD05/VF22/VF23 or equivilent Turbo to suit this:

115974837.jpg

some good info popping up

24 is a bit tame according to some and you may/will most likely want to have spend the wee extra for one of the above... buuuut Clunt is one of them ingenerr ppl, and has some credibility (sober)

• General Member
 funkytown said:

VF24/28/29 .. they are just a bit tame. [Joker says MILD]

VF22/23/30/34/td05 is probably the nicer ones. [Joker says WILD]

500-600 odd is a common price range.. all depends which turbo tho.. (here i refer to my pick of "nicer" ones.

I'm leaning towards a newer Version myself... lower Kay's less issues/new technology (of sorts)

If you're on a budget, TD04's cost only $100, if you want power, TD05, VF22, VF23, VF30, VF34 or VF39. all on the larger side of factory turbo's. The TD05's though, most come with a 90º bend which you will need to sort out.

I'm running a VF39, wich doesn't come on boost till at least 3500, but boosts 18psi till the redline just fine. It's just under the VF22 and TD05 in terms of flow, so could be considered a big turbo. It's superb for open road driving and my GT. On the open road, the lag is never a problem, and the power is really really good for overtakes. Where's on the other hand, taking off at intersections and lights etc. is a pain due to the lag, and it's not good for round town.

Since moving to wellsford, i've basically figured Big turbo good for open road, small turbo good for city driving. Small and medium turbo's would be like TD04's, VF24, VF28 etc.

And Joker, new turbo's are great, the VF39 is such a nice turbo, i want my next VF to be a VF40+

There's bugger all difference between all of the Sti vf turbos - maybe about 0.5mm in compressor size

The all have the same turbine which is the real limiting factor

The difference in max power out of them is about 15kw which is neither here nor there.

vf24 vf28 will easily do upto 200kw and spool the quickest. Which would be pretty handy on the leggy as its not a lightweight.

in saying that i get so much shit from my flatmate owning and v3 STi and having a vf23 and myself having a VF on my V4 STi because it says its mainly used in auto applications bit of a buzz kill but i do like the vf24 i guess just on the quick spooling

haha very much going to pass on that have no idea but my flatmate doesnt know to much about subies so all that mattered was the autos part haha and then it started

VF24

STi ver 4, June 1997

Common for Group N rally cars and has good bottom end. Not recommended for stroker engines or

engines with high boost as turbo is small and can over speed.

Same compressor housing and wheel as a VF23 with smaller Turbine housing (18)

Best turbo for Auto’s and cars that want the best bottom end and least lag.

in saying that looking at some spec threads they rekon they are only good for 17psi mine runs 17-19psi depending on temps just fine guessing they just safe parameters

The most power i have seen out of vf23 is 220kw.

The most power i have seen out of vf24 is 216kw.

So there's not alot in it

You have to remember MRT wrote that blurb many years ago and its not all that accurate

having driven an sti with a 24,28 22 and 23 (4 diff cars) I would say the former did feel much flatter than the later. (totally IMO)

What i might suggest is hoping in a couple of factoryish (comparable) cars with the a turbo from each and you can judge for yourself what feels best?!

funkytown']

agree.. heres a post from optical

[quote name='Optical said:

what does 'high-flowed' mean wrt the vf23?

.... My old vf23 hit 1bar at about 3400rpm and made about the same power on 16-17psi....

/quote]

mine made 236, but has been modified, i get the impression from this his 23 was stock?

correct his was stock

funkytown said:

having driven an sti with a 24,28 22 and 23 (4 diff cars) I would say the former did feel much flatter than the later. (totally IMO)

What i might suggest is hoping in a couple of factoryish (comparable) cars with the a turbo from each and you can judge for yourself what feels best?!

I've driven near stock and mildly modified versions of various STI with all of those Turbo's, In terms of drive ability they all felt more or less the same, with slight delivery differences.

BC5RA']

[quote name='funkytown said:

/quote]

I've driven near stock and mildly modified versions of various STI with all of those Turbo's, In terms of drive ability they all felt more or less the same, with slight delivery differences.

Meaning they are all way too small ha ha

so is it possible to run a parallel twin turbo such as VF28's on an ej20?

if yes, how much work that would involve? how much would it cost?

i was talking to STi Type-R the other day about that and he reckon it would be harder and more expensive than just going single turbo..