Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

STI on 95 octane

Valkyrie

sickmatesick said:

i will never know as theres no 98 in southland. i was putting fuel in yesterday and noticed my car had a bp 91 sticker in the fuel flap though

LOL don't trust sticker. Guess what I have a BP 98 sticker on my 1986 honda city ??? don't even think there were 98 20 yrs ago!!! :P

nt_a_foz said:

its not about more power or more kms out of a tank......

its about if you like your car or not

especially sti will be more prone to detonation on 95..

+1, less det = more engine life. You may not notice power difference but your engine will thank you for it. Mind you, i often run 95 as we don't have 98 up here in wellsford, aye Rueben!

Ryan']

[quote name='nt_a_foz said:

/quote]

+1, less det = more engine life. You may not notice power difference but your engine will thank you for it. Mind you, i often run 95 as we don't have 98 up here in wellsford, aye Rueben!

I found it is quite different on my V7 STI. Any reason for New Age tuning? Any other V7 onward driver has the same experience? I thought JDM Subaru are designed to run in high octane as they have high grade fuel than us. no sure though

I've seen a few 'minimum 96' stickers on fuel flaps around the place, from back in the pre-95 days... I imagine slapped on for import so muppets avoid filling with 98?

And +1 to your last thought there - they have 100 octane available there at the pump don't they?

Shale said:

I've seen a few 'minimum 96' stickers on fuel flaps around the place, from back in the pre-95 days... I imagine slapped on for import so muppets avoid filling with 98?

And +1 to your last thought there - they have 100 octane available there at the pump don't they?

100 octance!!!! WOW!!!! yeah i been running 98 on my wrx ever since i got it...apparently it does make a difference in engine life. but hey...what are some people suppose to do if they cant get 98 lol...guess just fuel up with the highest octance available to u ;D

if u do use 95 - just dont boost it hard or if u have a controller then turn the boost down (all in effort not to knock)

but the new age sti have a good ecu setup that will learn if u keep driving on 95 then eventually it will reduce the timing to suit 95 (reduce it far enough to even run full boost - altho at slightly less power)

so really its not going to kill ue engine rait away if u gentle enough on it (and consistant driving should get the ecu to fully learn the knock points of the 95 and re-adjust)

once off kinda thing should not affect it much (just fill back with 98 and drive normally and eventually get back to full boost runs - that should get it to run back to 98 timing). I find approx 30km of normal driving and then further 20 k of mixed normal and heavy acceleration in 3rd usually (to remain in legal speeds obviously) gets the ecu to settle on a fairly round bout tune and get things to where it needs to

I used to work for a petrol station; people will run 91 in anything, STI's EVO's brand new xr6 turbos. At least a 2 to 1 ratio of turbo leggies running 91 over 95 (and people wonder why the engines are not the most reliable ;) ).

Funny you should mention a 98 sticker in your 86 Honda city, the Honda fitted stickers say 97 octane so it’s not to incorrect, never saw anyone obey it though!

runrabbit said:

i dont notice any difference between 95 and 98. except in the wallet.

mileage is the same, and no increase in power or responsiveness. :-\

same here, have run my v4 sti on 95 since ive owned it with no problems, 98 just seems to cost more, might make a difference if your winding boost up etc... Mine is and has always been stock

Will only make a difference on hot days and giving it a bootful, if your just cruising you wont notice anything. Better to stick to 98 if you can or buy an octane booster to throw in with 95. Or you can just use 95 and be light on the throttle until you get some 98 in there.

But now you have put 95 in it, when you decide to sell it I wont have to pay as much ;D

swiftbrad said:

So how much do you save running 98 vs 95, im guessing maybe $2 tops per tank.

quoted from here at currentish prices----> http://www.pricewatch.co.nz/Default.aspx?lyr=11

taking 95 @ $1.81

taking 98 @ $1.88

if we assume 50l fill

95 50L * $1.81 / L = $90.50

98 50L * $1.88 / L = $94.00

= $3.50 difference

if the same is done for 45L fill

95 $81.45

98 $84.60

= $3.15 difference

40L fill

$2.80 differce

Valkyrie']

[quote name='stira said:

But now you have put 95 in it, when you decide to sell it I wont have to pay as much ;D

/quote]

no plan to sell it!!! leave it for my childern!!!! :P

I'm planning on the same unless a 22b comes up and i can afford it :D

Guest itsgotgo
 GregNZ101 said:

I used to work for a petrol station; people will run 91 in anything, STI's EVO's brand new xr6 turbos. At least a 2 to 1 ratio of turbo leggies running 91 over 95 (and people wonder why the engines are not the most reliable ;) ).

Funny you should mention a 98 sticker in your 86 Honda city, the Honda fitted stickers say 97 octane so it’s not to incorrect, never saw anyone obey it though!

The xr6 turbo,s have a dual octane fuel map in the ecu,one high octane map 98oct and low map for 95-91.

Homodores are the same .

So you dont have to worry about those.

Difference in an 8 cylinder is definately noticable !!! ;)

Valkyrie']

[quote name='nt_a_foz said:

/quote]

I found it is quite different on my V7 STI. Any reason for New Age tuning? Any other V7 onward driver has the same experience? I thought JDM Subaru are designed to run in high octane as they have high grade fuel than us. no sure though

Yeah mate, I'm determined mine goes better on 98, the first time I drove it back from welly to napier on 95 i wasnt all that impressed, put some 98 and im sure it boosts a bit better

Check this video out

• 2 weeks later...

Yep definatley notice difference between 98 and V-Power in the V7 STI - still drives fine but just loses that bit of crispness on boost and lower in the range ("torqueyness") haha did you like that one! :D

Me Old Wert said:

Yep definatley notice difference between 98 and V-Power in the V7 STI - still drives fine but just loses that bit of crispness on boost and lower in the range ("torqueyness") haha did you like that one! :D

Ha, bro mine fair sucks through the 95. 98 its better

555v7sti']

[quote name='Me Old Wert said:

/quote]

Ha, bro mine fair sucks through the 95. 98 its better

Yep 98 is definatly king of the fuels - for obvious reasons before anyone says somthing silly!!