Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Clutch Options 6spd V8 STI

Niran

Dairusire said:
To be frank with you, if you're not sure on it, and you can't remember when it was replaced anyway, just go ahead and replace it. If it's doing it now, it'll definitely do it with a power increase.

I've managed to get my clutch BS mostly sorted in my car and the clutch is actually really quite nice from Drews, so I'll rate it as so.

Price: 10/10 - can't beat it really cost me $799 incl shipping for Clutch kit with uprated pressure plate and billet light weight flywheel.

Quality: so far so good, but early days, will give 8/10

That's awesome feedback man, thanks. Definitely cant beat that price point! Ps, how do you like the lightened fly wheel? How does it change the driving experience for you? Oh and How does the pedal feel and where does it engage?

I am tossing up between the drews package and just the standard clutch (a few people are saying it works great and lasts for ages even with increased power). Please correct me if i'm wrong :)

• Admin
 Niran said:
That's awesome feedback man, thanks. Definitely cant beat that price point! Ps, how do you like the lightened fly wheel? How does it change the driving experience for you? Oh and How does the pedal feel and where does it engage?

I am tossing up between the drews package and just the standard clutch (a few people are saying it works great and lasts for ages even with increased power). Please correct me if i'm wrong :)

So far with the lightened flywheel, it's not a drastic change in weight, but it's more than enough for it to be a noticeable difference in rev changes in dropping and rising, quite nice. Pedal feel is really relative to each and every car, mine for example is very far towards the bottom, like a standard clutch really but otherwise the feel is good.

Also either will work perfectly fine and will last ages even with increased power :) the STi 6 speed clutches were quite over engineered and handle a fair old bit of extra power. Well above 260kw to my understanding.

It sounds like it maybe just needs a bleed?

Boost has nothing to do with slip, just watch the RPM and I dunno, keep your nose open haha

If you can't make it slip on the road, then it won't slip on the dyno either. It's not some horrific super high load event, if the car can be driven now then you don't need to swap it out as a preventative measure

If you really want to be sure (or just want to make sure it's dead) just be a bit cruel to it and see what happens, a couple of kicks will tell you if it's happy to hold on or not

• Admin
 Niran said:
Sweetas thanks guys. So if you had the option between stock brand new clutch and used for 5000ks Exedy Organic HD clutch, what would you choose? Those are probably my only affordable options at present.

Stock personally if those were my only two options.

Or just save a bit and buy new so you get some form of warranty

It's not like the car can't drive right now, and since you're paying for the install why not do it once, do it right

It's like paying someone to install a used cambelt

If you get stuck I deal direct with Exedy NZ.

FJK-7350HD ( Heavy Duty ) for about $720 inc gst

Price has gone up a bit since i got mine but still not a bad price compared to retail.

Seems to handle my power level of 250kw pretty good.

• 3 months later...
  • Admin
 Niran said:
Resurrecting this thread. My clutch is still holding out! Pretty amazing really, considering how i drive the car ;). But yeah looking to buy a replacement now to be safe.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1120883163

What do you guys rekon? Pretty cheap. And will hold to my power level (440nm) and more apparently.

mmm Honestly, now mind you this does include the fact I'm running a lightened billet fly wheel, it can be a little stumbly on take off, which is something that bothers the hell out of me.. Otherwise it's freaking mint. Great price too.

Edited by Dairusire

• Admin

+1 for Exedy HD, slightly stiffer pedal but not enough to complain about.

And its not the worst job to do yourself, just get a FSM have a big old read and go to town on it.

Pretty sure mine was in a similar condition to yours. Engagement right near the top, couldn't get any noticeable slip when giving it some beans with low revs/high gear up hills but turned to **** almost straight away on the dyno.

Niran said:
Resurrecting this thread. My clutch is still holding out! Pretty amazing really, considering how i drive the car ;). But yeah looking to buy a replacement now to be safe.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1120883163

What do you guys rekon? Pretty cheap. And will hold to my power level (440nm) and more apparently.

too cheap... no brand... and you don't even need a new clutch?

loner said:
too cheap... no brand... and you don't even need a new clutch?

Definitely going to need one aye. Its slipped a few times on the odd occasion, but it hasn't straight out lost its hold yet. But yup. The no brand and price is what im concerned about. Can't really afford to get the job done twice, so want to get it right first time.

Timmah said:
Just my 2 cents, but Drew's Automotive are a Flat-Nats sponsor and also some of the guys on DOBC have their clutches and seem to like them.

Cool and cool... but I'm entitled to my opinion and to give advice for and against a product. In this case I wouldn't want to live with the uncertainty of using

a no name clutch. Save another $400 and get an exedy.

• Admin
 loner said:
Cool and cool... but I'm entitled to my opinion and to give advice for and against a product. In this case I wouldn't want to live with the uncertainty of using

a no name clutch. Save another $400 and get an exedy.

Just a quick correction there.

It's not a 'no name'. Drew's Automotive make their own clutches, pressure plates etc to the best of my knowledge.

Hence why it has no branding on the units as they're the ones who make and sell them directly to you.

Dairusire said:
Just a quick correction there.

It's not a 'no name'. Drew's Automotive make their own clutches, pressure plates etc to the best of my knowledge.

Hence why it has no branding on the units as they're the ones who make and sell them directly to you.

One i had wasnt a custom built it was a "made in japan".