Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How to tell if its a limited edition?

Hi all, we are looking at a '97 Impreza STI with 100k on it, its an RA model, blue, gold wheels, massive brakes, roof scoop etc

The owner seems to think its a limited edition is there any way to tell if it is? And also what version it is ? (sorry new to Subarus)

Anything else to look for particauly on these cars? It seems standard mostly

Cheers

Mike

Ok, so went and had a look at the car

Noticed it has electric windows and no driver controled center diff knob

Is it still a "limited edition" and still an RA model? Cheers

Ok so i went for another look and managed to peak through the bonnet and see the applied model number and saw "GC8D4ED"

It has electric windows, a/c, aeriel beside boot but still has the roof scoop

Not an RA and not limited edition?

According to that website listed above its not an RA but is a genuine STI, altho still not sure of it being a limited edition without the option code

I check its code against that website and with the option code being 62c its a limited edition, dont think it had the blue surrounds tho

Is there any common problems with these model vehicles?

An Idea for you to have a looksee at is, the RA has been lightened and stuff like the head liner is liteweight and not that awesome with the sound deadning. A colleague of mine involved with Rally has a 98/99 RA & it sounds a little tinnier when you are inside it because they dont have all the sound absorbing materials like a normal road car.

Have a looksee on the console in front of the gear stick for the ltd ed number plate, or ... my 97 rex is a LTD Ed, on the boot lid the number is in a rectangle badge below a round one with "World Rally Manufacturers Championship" on it. I guess you cant exactly rely on that cos anyone could pick up a boot with it on there.

Obvious ones to have a looksee at are cambelt, oil leaks under the motor( when I got mine I had to replace rocker cover gaskets). Power steer pump is better to get rebuilt I found because there wasnt much difference between the wreckers & rebuild/overhaul (cost $250) atleast with a rebuild you get the guarantee & wreckers wont do that.

Unless you like paying thru the butt you dont have to go genuine subie for parts. eg, BNT only had 1 cam plug left which I bought for $3.50. Repco were out. Had to goto Subie dealers, 3 more cam plugs cost 40 something buks!

Its hard to find a earlier model wrx that hasnt been someones thrash mobile, an AA chek is well worth the $. So whatever you buy just keep up the maintenance & you'll have a car thats fun to drive and wont let you down.

never pay any more for a limited model, they were never more peformance enhanced...

The V-ltd stands for victory limited (same as the "555" edition, and the plain "Ltd" ones). To celebrate winning WRC that respective year, they released a limited run (usually 555) of 'rally car look alikes' (so hence the flat blue, the roof scoop, and some a blue interior - i.e just the looking stuff, not the functional stuff (e.g. DCCD), and a plate with the number, usually on the boot.

They had the normal wrx/sti versions, but they are still just a wrx/sti, with a roof scoop. So normal sound deadening, normal running gear.

Ra's on the other hand are the better ones.

But hell. you get a roof scoop with an RA/VLtd. let me put that another way... ROOF SCOOP.

You know that half the people here would give one of the precious twins up (probably the left one) for the roof scoop. :)