What size semi slicks do you use ???

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest loren
 funkytown']

[quote name='loren said:

225 is too wide by a long way for a 7inch wheel... 55 is too squishy for track work.

/quote]

55 is only the ratio.. so a narrow tyre its much smaller sidewall than say a 245 / 55.

no shit sherlock.

• 7 months later...

bumping an old topic i know (seems to be the thing to do these days)

I'm gonna be getting semis in the next week but not sure what width to get, car will mainly do track work (on the semis anyway) and will be going on 7.5" ver 7\8 rims on a GC8.

was thinking 225\45 r17, or will they hit the guards?

kamineko said:

yes. i had problems with the rear, with this rim/tyre combo. running almost neutral camber to clear the rolled guards, and about 4mm gap between the inner tyre and strut. yuck. i need camber adjustment at the top hat.

on the + side this size has a good amount of grip, and i find them more thermally stable than 205x45r17

sorry, i should clarify, my struts are standard monroe. the tyre hits the lower bucket that holds the spring - adjustables probably wouldnt have this issue.

i also had to roll the front guards, but the camber wasn't a problem. say goodbye to the front inner guard plastic.

hmm ok doesn't sound too bad, front inner guards are fucked anyway (previous owner\s must've had bigger wheels and low springs)

struts are standard at the moment, you only had issues when dialling in camber? guess i'll have to make sure i get the wheel alignment with the semis on!

no, its not too bad, with a bit less weight and the 225's i was cracking almost 3sec off my old laptimes

but the rear camber is a serious compromise though. for the tyre not to hit the guard, or my strut, i'm only running about -0.5deg camber. you will have to set it in between before you even get to the tyreshop - and even then they arn't going to be able to do much with it.

see how you get on. expect rear camber bolts to be about $45 each side.

GC8E2DD said:

I have those exact wheels, with that exact size tyre on a GC8. I got tyre rub at full lock, until I went back to standard top hats, and now I get none. No guard rolling, standard height.

...ok so the subaru gods do not like me

Hah, I still have my inner guards on the front. Running very little camber now - basically max stock bolts - until I can get the camber/ caster plates back on. Rear wouldn't be more than half a degree. I can fit a credit card and no more between strut and tyre in the rear. But yeah, turns out 225/45/17 on 17x7.5 +53 all good on a stock setup.

loren said:

225 is too wide by a long way for a 7inch wheel... 55 is too squishy for track work.

im running 225s on my 7 inch rims and they go perfectly fine... there actually 225 45 17 on work emotions 17x7 gives awesome grip and doesnt touch the guards with some coilovers for a tiny bit of camber :) however they didnt rub the guards either with the stock suspention and a tiny bit of camber using the stock camber bolts.... so quit happy with 225 actually

hmmm now i have a new issue, was wanting R888's but they arn't gonna have any in nz till JUNE!!!!! (april shipment is presold :'()

So i've been offered Bridgestone re11's for the same price, they arn't a full semi-slick i know, but they seem pretty close (visually). Anyone used these on the track and can compare them to r888's or similar?

i only just picked myself up some second hand semi'slicks, cant wait to try them :D no idea what they are though hahaha 15' by something brand is something

-smurff

GC8E2DD said:

Hah, I still have my inner guards on the front. Running very little camber now - basically max stock bolts - until I can get the camber/ caster plates back on. Rear wouldn't be more than half a degree. I can fit a credit card and no more between strut and tyre in the rear. But yeah, turns out 225/45/17 on 17x7.5 +53 all good on a stock setup.

What tyre were you running ?

225's can vary a fair bit from the nominal width.

When I had 225/45-17 Goodyear Eagle F1's on BBS 17x7.5 +53 and stock suspension I got rub-a-dub-dub front and rear.

Do coupes have a bit more space under the guards ?

Don't think there is any more room on a coupe than a sedan. They are my drive to work tyres that came on the wheels - Sumo Firenza ST-08. Actually not a bad road tyre, but I don't think I would race on them. I can measure them if you like, because I haven't put them back on the car yet.

nztintin said:

hmmm now i have a new issue, was wanting R888's but they arn't gonna have any in nz till JUNE!!!!! (april shipment is presold :'()

So i've been offered Bridgestone re11's for the same price, they arn't a full semi-slick i know, but they seem pretty close (visually). Anyone used these on the track and can compare them to r888's or similar?

Get 03Gs. Expensive but worth the difference.

am onto some 225/45/17 r1 compound dunlop semis 1/2 tread and some 245/40/17 m1 compound dunlop semis 3/4 tread name your price and I will see what I can do , been offered them as a package deal with 2 sets of factory 17s . 2 grand the lot if anyone wants the deal Ill pass it on cause I only wanted one set of wheels and now think I have sold my car so wont need em ! ......... unless my car deal falls through ?

• 2 years later...
 thorpy said:

My new car is fitted with Potenza RE540S , they seem to be a good semi but I cant find any info on them ,

Has anyone used them ?

Also im thinking they are obsolete , does anyone know what the replacement would be ?

They are old as fuck.. I have some too... they are 11 years old and hard as nails... okay for

the track once up to temp but rubbish in all other situations.

I think RE55S replaced them... which possibly have been replaced by something else?