Sign in to follow this  
Scoobydoo

Something I've learned... not a good idea to replace this hose!

So while my car was getting repaired, I was pointed out to a hose which i replaced with an aftermarket M&H hose. It's just a vacuum hose so I thought nothing of it, and didn't know any differently really. However, on further inspection, there is a one way valve in it which controls vacuum one way and not the other, and has effect on the braking system while on boost, so it's pretty important.

So I'll put it back on tomorrow and see what difference it makes to the braking.

Cheers Rick for the heads up!!

hosep.jpg

hahaha ummm yea. we all have it, mine is at the brake booster end of that line. your booster wont hold any vacuum. you would have to stand on the brakes harder when on boost, wont be so bad if your decelerating, i have heard of accidents been caused by people removing that one way valve lol.

Yeah well I thought I'd post it up just in case anyone else had replaced either of those hoses without realising that was there. And yeah it could be in either hose. I checked both of them and found mine was in the one above.

Ha yes i was running around for 2weeks without my one in, couldn't figure out why the brakes felt funny for a while =/ opps

Haha I had the same problem last year when I rebuilt mine, except mine was at the booster end and I had it the wrong way around ;)

i put mine one the wrong way round once, was very strange why my brakes were all F'd up lol

-smurff

Generally any hose with a restrictor pill in it will be marked with a white stripe around the aera the pill is located, just like the ones on some wastegate lines ;)

hmmm, I drove my BF5 around for about two years with that hose replaced with a silicon one.......

zarnah said:

hmmm, I drove my BF5 around for about two years with that hose replaced with a silicon one.......

its in the hose coming out of the booster on a BF/BG

out of interest what do they do with supercharged engines that are never in a state of vacuum?

well that depends there are 2 diff types of SC a cetrifugal type and a screw type, the screw is always on + boost but the cent. that HKS has developed for scoobys does use vac...its pretty much a belt-driven turbo...

sultan said:

why would you need brakes on boost? that's like having an oven in your fridge

+1,000,000!!!!!!! :D

I'm going through replacing all the vacuum lines in my rsk b4 and wondering if there will be any pills that I need to look out for. I'm just doing all the.ones from BBoD outwards.

pils are marked with a white stripe on the vac hose's

make sure you fnd them all - and refit them or you'll be posting a HELP thread

sultan said:

why would you need brakes on boost? that's like having an oven in your fridge

brakes will still work on boost if the one way valve isnt leaking - the booster should still have vacuum in it while on boost (when the valve shuts) - brakes will work for 1 or 2 pumps untill the vac is diminished then no more untill valve opens to let vac back into it - just like when u turn the car off

Ichi Ban said:

pils are marked with a white stripe on the vac hose's

make sure you fnd them all - and refit them or you'll be posting a HELP thread

Ah yes I saw all those mark. Cheers