Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How To Tell If my 1998 WRX is JDM model

Hi there Ive just purchased a WRX 1998 sedan , Factory condition aside from pod filter (unless turbo upgraded)

I dont Pickup the vehicle until wednesday ,

When I viewed It , I noticed on the Turbo Badge It has a VF22 wich I believe is fitted to JDM models.

What Im Iching to learn Is , What Other things can i look for to confirm Its JDM or if its just had a replacement turbo upgrade.

Are Injectors Different colour?

How do I tell If its lightweight Body shell (I think JDM models have this) ?

Any other differences??

Cheers ;D

Unfortunatly I will not know untill wednesday

. If the engine and chassis codes are relevant Ive Looked them up on carjam

Engine no: EJ20-228379

Chassis: GC8-068198

Thanks 4 the help

Look at the rego tiket in the window - if its imported the date in small letters will be different from the year of manufacture

Its a jap Import , Are all Jap import 98's JDM models , Ive just recieced a text I asked the seller to check what colour injectors are , They are Yellow.

Somebody with a listing on trademe a JDM has explains in his listing a jdm has grey and black bucket seats ,

These are the same colour as mine and I believe the dash looks the same as his photos.

Speedo is digital also.

So so far I know VF22 , Yellow injectors , jap import , grey and black seats , digital dash ,

Is this enough to believe its a JDM model .

ahh got ya , Ive never known what JDM stands for , people On their advertisements seem to uptalk "JDM" models as being More special Than Others,

Either way , I was also seeking The info as to if its Likely its factory vf22 or if some kid has put bigger one on it

funkytown said:

post up the rego please. - can check that way.

a WRX with yellows and a 22 doesnt sound right if its JDM... NZDM sounds more likely...

Also it was the V3 WRX that came with the 22 i thought...

So did they change stuff like this when it was a NZ new?

Guest keltik

Purely relates to which country the vehicle was intended for sale in. Japanese domestic cars usually had better specs than other countries.

The funny writing on the sun-visor usually gives it away.

JDM = Japanese domestic market

EDM/EUDM = European

UKDM = United Kingdom

USDM = United States (most USDM Subarus are built in the Lafayette factory, Indiana. Also happen to be the worst specced cars)

AUDM = Australian

NZDM = New Zealand

The term is popular with people in America as the Japanese specced Japanese cars were usually a lot better and had nicer parts than the USDM ones. Therefore if your car was "JDM" you were cool. In New Zealand its just a pointless phrase.

To give you an idea, the USA never got the twin turbo legacy. They had to make do with the EJ22 and the EJ25. They also never got the BC5 shape single turbo EJ20. They had to suffer the less poweful EJ22 turbo.

funkytown said:

go here --> www.carjam.co.nz

look in the first section you find this...

# Assembly type: Imported Built-Up

# Country of origin: Japan

and at the bottom

105,692km 2005, May 9th border check

you have a JDM there sir.

You missed out an important bit;

Registration

* Registration status: Active

* Vehicle usage: Private Passenger

* Cause of latest registration: Used

* Date of first registration in New Zealand: 2005, August 18th

* Date of last registration: 2005, August 18th

* Was registered overseas?: Yes

* Previous country of registration: Japan

* Date of first registration overseas: 1998, Mar

• Admin

to work out what verson it is please show us a picture of the front bumper, and the dash.

(unless these have been changed, although i some how doubt they would have changed the dash if doing a facelift)

My money is its a v3, but pictures will tell!

keltik said:

The term is popular with people in America as the Japanese specced Japanese cars were usually a lot better and had nicer parts than the USDM ones. Therefore if your car was "JDM" you were cool. In New Zealand its just a pointless phrase.

YMMV, some NZDM Jpn cars were actually better spec'd than JDM.

Eg. NZ bugeye WRX came with 17" wheels std, they were optional on JDM.

Ditto NZ BL/BP Legcay GT got the nice 18"s, JDM 17"s.

V5/6 STi's got twin airbags, only one with JDM

etc. etc.

NZ buyers like their fruit, hence most NZDM cars are loaded with stuff that is optional in other markets.

;D

newsuba']

[quote name='keltik said:

/quote]

YMMV, some NZDM Jpn cars were actually better spec'd than JDM.

Eg. NZ bugeye WRX came with 17" wheels std, they were optional on JDM.

Ditto NZ BL/BP Legcay GT got the nice 18"s, JDM 17"s.

V5/6 STi's got twin airbags, only one with JDM

etc. etc.

NZ buyers like their fruit, hence most NZDM cars are loaded with stuff that is optional in other markets.

;D

you sir are extra useful you know ;D

• General Member
 crizpy said:

Unfortunatly I will not know untill wednesday

. If the engine and chassis codes are relevant Ive Looked them up on carjam

Engine no: EJ20-228379

Chassis: GC8-068198

Thanks 4 the help